Sponsored angler videos

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I subscribe to a few channels on youtube with tackle companies or sponsored anglers, seems they always bag up. Maybe this is down to various factors. Are there any videos of such anglers where they don't catch much at all, and if so, would they still post it or would this be bad publicity?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Seen one or two where they’ve had hard days or been scratching - Andy May & Jamie Hughes did one a couple of months ago on one of their challenges and a tench one yesterday that saw the guy almost going home before a late blank saver fish.

It‘s not in the interests of angler or sponsor to put up ‘scrappy days’ content but they are all under a degree of pressure to keep producing regular videos and ensure their fans stay engaged.

Browner

Not sponsored, but Bill Allen of Easy Fishing was happy to put up his videos of days when things didn’t always go to plan. Likewise, Nic from Avon Angling Uk shows his good and bad days.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a subscriber to Avon Angling. Seen him have good days and bad days, makes them a good watch and fair play to him for posting the bad days too. I might get some ideas for who to subscribe to from this thread.

Browner

I'm a subscriber to Avon Angling. Seen him have good days and bad days, makes them a good watch and fair play to him for posting the bad days too. I might get some ideas for who to subscribe to from this thread.
I like his channel. He’s also very happy to answer questions via his Facebook site. Had several chats with him. He and I fish very similar. We both like travelling light and both have a passion for roach and chub fishing. We use similar kit. Short rods and simple baits.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
While I agree that watching a 60 minute video of someone not catching may be boring the other extreme, fish after fish that are seemingly throwing themselves on the hook teaches me nothing.

I think we all know that for videos and features swims are chosen with care and may be prepared by prebaiting. But surely F1 fishing is harder than potting in bait, lowering in a rig and hey presto, fish on.

I have said before that what would be more instructional is for a top angler to coach an amateur like me when I am not catching. What am I doing wrong, what would the top angler do differently. I accept that for the top angler this may dent their income from one to one coaching days. But I rarely watch "instructional" videos because they all make it look too easy and don't talk about what you do when you are not catching. How many others similarly don't watch because of that reason?

The other video format I would watch is an angler going through the options to finally get the fish taking the hookbait. What do they change, when, how quickly? Or what to change to target bigger fish or get the bites quicker, surely something every match angler wants to know.

MarkW

Having made plenty of videos and having plans to make many more, I will say that sessions that prove no good do happen, and that a lot of editing is usually needed. Remember what you are watching is entertainment not a CCTV record of what actually happened.
The type of videos I try to make are not too long - 10 to 15 minutes - yet I may have 3 hours of footage to cut down.

Once my garden project is sorted I hope to get out soon and start filming again.

CarpCatcher86

I subscribe to a few channels on youtube with tackle companies or sponsored anglers, seems they always bag up. Maybe this is down to various factors. Are there any videos of such anglers where they don't catch much at all, and if so, would they still post it or would this be bad publicity?
I guess such videos have to show what it's like when the going gets tough.
More often than not whoever makes the videos has to show a particular angler catching plenty of fish with a particular brand of gear and or bait.
That way, as I have said before, people watching such videos will think that they have to buy the same bait and or gear used in the video if they want to catch as many fish as the angler in the video.
Companies are trying to promote/sell bait and gear for fishing, so they have to show it being used to catch plenty of fish instead of simply looking pretty on the bank.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene I agree there's lots to learn from videos, especially ones that would show anglers struggling, might not be the best entertainment but at least I would be able to relate to it.

Love your videos @MarkW. I have just subscribed. You make fishing the stick look easy and have good insights when you talk about tackle and species.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I am humbly considering doing a couple of vlogs myself this year, just shot on my phone if possible, not to show off myself but just to share some nice fishing spots. I imagine a lot of editing out of tangle shots and striking like 'Zorro' will be required, but I'll score it with 'ambient' music and hopefully make something as a bit of an experiment, main thing is building up the confidence to talk to the camera.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Anything by a sponsored angler I don't usually bother watching

I got disillusioned a few years ago watching one such video which was plugging stupidly expensive feeder rods - I don't remember the company but I do remember that at the time they didn't sell top spec feeder reels to match the rod.
After twenty minutes of intricate detail about the rod and the seat box and, some wonderful type of new feeder line I realised no mention had been made of the reel and in fact every time the reel was in shot it was blurred out. It was obviously made by some other manufacturer and I just thought it was incredibly petty to not mention what it was.
The same thing used to occur in the angling press too.

have good insights when you talk about tackle and species.
Her knows naff all about roach though :p :p :p

Simon

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
While I agree that watching a 60 minute video of someone not catching may be boring the other extreme, fish after fish that are seemingly throwing themselves on the hook teaches me nothing.

I think we all know that for videos and features swims are chosen with care and may be prepared by prebaiting. But surely F1 fishing is harder than potting in bait, lowering in a rig and hey presto, fish on.

I have said before that what would be more instructional is for a top angler to coach an amateur like me when I am not catching. What am I doing wrong, what would the top angler do differently. I accept that for the top angler this may dent their income from one to one coaching days. But I rarely watch "instructional" videos because they all make it look too easy and don't talk about what you do when you are not catching. How many others similarly don't watch because of that reason?

The other video format I would watch is an angler going through the options to finally get the fish taking the hookbait. What do they change, when, how quickly? Or what to change to target bigger fish or get the bites quicker, surely something every match angler wants to know.

I think the answers you want are all but impossible to give. Every day is different, when the fish don’t want to feed or aren’t in your peg, it matters not if you are a novice club angler or an England international. The changes, the amount of changes and their effect is almost infinite. Yesterday was a good example, I had a heavy tow right to left, some anglers were using 1g floats, I used a spread pattern on a 4x12 - the fish don’t want to be on the bottom the last few weeks. Next week the conditions and water temp might mean they are tearing up the bottom….. completely different.

You already know this, there is no magical formula, it I guarantee that the more often you go fishing, the better you will be at it, more switched on to the day to day variants, your angling processes will be better and as you start to catch more, your confidence will go up.

I doubt I sit for more than 5 minutes without a bite before running through my next move - feed again, swap lines, give it a count of fifty etc. I’m just an average numpty, but sit next to some of the top anglers, they are always busy, expecting something to happen, changing things to make it happen - and the fish don’t always oblige!

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Not aimed at you @Zerkalo 👍but most of the people on here who watch all the videos from the top anglers ,think they know it all after watching them , Ha! One minute they’re a beginner, then “hey presto” they seem to know everything
I love the way you over generalise mate....:giggle:.....I watch loads of fishing videos both from top anglers and those who do it for the love of our sport (and their own reasons for making) as sometimes, just sometimes, there's something I can learn or adapt to suit my own fishing.....If not, there's always over 50 years of experience I can call on.....And I'm still learning...;)(y)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not aimed at you @Zerkalo 👍but most of the people on here who watch all the videos from the top anglers ,think they know it all after watching them , Ha! One minute they’re a beginner, then “hey presto” they seem to know everything
That’s me 🤭 I spent all lockdown watching videos, now I haven’t got the time to watch any!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I love the way you over generalise mate....:giggle:.....I watch loads of fishing videos both from top anglers and those who do it for the love of our sport (and their own reasons for making) as sometimes, just sometimes, there's something I can learn or adapt to suit my own fishing.....If not, there's always over 50 years of experience I can call on.....And I'm still learning...;)(y)
Well I wasn’t talking about experienced anglers obviously 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️and I love the way you always seem to pick at everything I say 👍👍👍

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
A slight take on Neils video idea, I would like to see a top name shadow an avg Joe in a match asking why are you doing that, have you considered this etc etc.... I think you would get an insight of both the angler and the coach thought patterns. Like having a golf caddy for the day......

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I watch a lot on the rivers, it's usually Barbel and Chub fishing, and as many of them are amateur filmed on a phone videos as there are with known anglers and professionally filmed. I find both a good watch and though I admit I've only been at it for a couple of years I still want to do one just to show off the weir pool and see what I can do with editing, filming close ups of flowers etc, and music on my phone. 😁