Spodding at matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festa

Hi All,

I'm entering a club match for the first time at the weekend. I've heard that it's best to put a "bed" of bait down using a feeder, casting in and out several times just after the "all in" is called. Surely a carp spod method would work?

I will bait a pole line aswell and fish that to start and leave the main feeder swim to develop 1 - 1.5 hrs.

Does this approach sound ok ?

All advice strongly received !

Hooty

I doubt whether you will be allowed to use a spod in a match pal.
Check with the fishery as well as the match organisers first.
I am amazed that no-one else has answered this post due to its nature i:e specimen spodding in a match.

Hooty.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I've read a few sets of club & fishery match rules recently (as a returner to matches after a long gap) & I reckon you'll find that spods aren't covered in all cases, perhaps even nearly all cases! Although it isn't really different to repeated casting of a big swimfeeder, my bet is that others on the match might complain even if the rules don't ban spod use! I noticed that there doesn't always seem to be a rule banning use of a bait boat either, but best not eh!

peter9000uk

Why shouldn't a spod be allowed? So long as it is the only rod/pole being used at that time. They are used quite a bit at Farlows on the match lake when fishing for the bream

Medussa

Can't see a problem with using a spod, there no worse than some really large feeders that get constantly cast in to put a bed of feed down.

Thom

heres another question, on venues where it may only take one or two large fish to win a match, why isnt a single rod specimen approach taken?

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I think if you are talking the mega sized spods that alot of speccy anglers use, then pesonally I wouldnt be too happy about the bloke opposite or next to me whacking in tons of bait for ahlf an hour at the start of a match.

But there are smaller alternatives.

MAP make a similar type of float called the Rocket, which is basically an open ended feeder with a cone on one end to stop it from sinking.

They are mainly used as an alternative to a pellet waggler or baggin' waggler, as you can use a hook beneath it, and the feed falls down below.

I see no real problem in using one of those to get a reasonable amount of bait down, as they are much smaller than a "proper" spod........as long as the onslaught doesnt last all day! lol

cess monkey

If spodding isn`t banned it soon will be if you have any success with it.
I once made a hanging pot so i could feed 1kg of bait in one go, it allowed me to feed once and get on with fishing instead of the constant shipping in and out to get a bed of feed down.
Firstly it was frowned upon, then a couple of the lads made pole cups using 3pt bait boxes.
Suddenly there was a rule brought in allowing standard pole cups and hanging pots only.

A similar rule was brought in a few years back when lads fishing venues where groundbait was allowed through a feeder only were stopped from using their own feeders which they had made from small pop bottles.

I am a great believer in limiting the ammount of bait you can use, but how you put it in should be up to the individual.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Would check with the organiser but can't see it being a problem as long as you don't have a bait in the water while youre doing it.
Re metalforever's question about the "1 rod speci approach" someone did just that at our first club match of the season at a local gravel pit.
A speci angler turned up to fish having forgotten that there was a match on, entered it anyway, spodded out a load of gear next to a big weedbed in the middle and then fished pop ups on an Optonic , lying back in his chair and reading a book until something beeped. He had 6 tench for 40 odd pound and absolutely walked it....

stevieb

Shakin
Site Supporter
What is the difference between someone spodding bait in, and someone catapulting 20 or so balls of groundbait in???? Never used a spod before, but I cant really see why anyone should complain so long as there isn't a bait limit on the water

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Originally posted by The Runner

lying back in his chair and reading a book until something beeped. He had 6 tench for 40 odd pound and absolutely walked it....

6 tench for 40 odd pound. This is no ordinary match water is it? Thats an exceptional catch for a noted tench speci water in my view!

This thread is bringing in thoughts of a floating pole pushing a mechanical feeding device, with a litre + capacity, out to the far bank margins, where my suspended hook-bait will be suspended in a waterfall of feed.....

Hooty

Lots of match fisheries have a bait limit allowance and i doubt whether you will be allowed to use the massive speccy spods.
Also i have not yet come across any rules saying the use of spods are allowed.
This does not mean you can use them, it means if it is not on the list you cant.
The first time someone uses one you can guarantee a great big bloody argument on the day and shortly after it will appear in the rules of that fishery.
What next?, the use of electronic bait boats for matchmen?

Hooty.

Festa

Thanks for all your opinions, looks like i may start WW3.... best approach the organiser.

stevelockett

What is a spod if not a massive swimfeeder?

If the match organiser doesn't let you spod, ball in 20 double-handers with a whopper dropper instead!

Severn Wolf

So its perfectly ok to heave ho a shed load of groundbait out into the swim and cause a mini tsunami on the far bank but a big no-no to use a spod..........

Such double standards.......

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
I say use a spod bud, you'll always get other matchmen moaning if you beat them on methods they don't or more to the point can't fish.

I've often thought of using them myself on certain venues, and in the future if I feel the method / feeding and the spod will give me an edge then i'll be spodding till my hearts content.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Just a quick reply straying off topic a bit to Looney- the pit in question does have a great reputation for big tench- they've come out to just over 12lb last year. Its unusual to see more than one or two of them in a match though as they tend to show best outside match times.The average tench there is between 7 and 8 lb with bream the same size. Last match there a couple of weeks ago was won with 2 tench (best 8-10) and about 10 lb of skimmers which is a more usual winning weight.

glenn

Account Locked
Interesting subject i just cant see whats wrong with the spod never used one dont see the need but whats the difference with that an say a match on the Voorne in holland when they start balling in the water rises 6 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.