Spinning Rod with Baitcaster Reel

Fishy Finger

Right, I have used my spinning rod with an open faced reel for years. I have just brought a baitcaster reel and was wondering if it's ok to turn my spinning rod upside down and use it with a baitcaster? I can't see a problem with it and has anyone else done this?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Isn't that the way the Americans do it?

Just remember to get the reel handle on the correct side if it is going on top of rather than under the rod.

Ben Field

Rods designed for baitcasters are rung differently. They’ll be smaller guides near the butt and lower profile so that the line can carry on at its low angle from the reel rather than going away from the rod and up to the larger first guide that spinning rods have. A big fish and a lot of tension on the line will put pressure on that first guide too. If it’s a fast action rod you’ll also find more guides fitted near the tip to ensure that when there’s a bend in it the line doesn’t brush or pass the bend in the rod, if that makes sense?

Technically there’s nothing to stop you doing it and using the baitcasting reel on the spinning rod, it’s just not perfect.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My understanding is that multipliers are traditionally used for boat fishing due to the more technical gearing and drag systems therefore I'm not sure what the benefit is them for spinning? I'm sure as they are used there is a benefit so I'd be interested if anyone can enlighten me?

Ben Field

Baitcasters are very different to traditional multipliers. They're designed for casting light weights (although handle heavier lure weights too). The benefit of them is that you have complete control over the free spinning spool with your thumb, so when casting in to very tight spots or even casting UNDER overhanging trees etc, you have far more control. It's a skill to get it right, but accuracy and control is their benefit. You can do things with them that you can't with a fixed spool reel. Overall I'd still recommend sticking to fixed spool reels for ease of use and general fishing, but if you know you want to be doing more than that, the baitcasters are useful.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
the american spin/bait cast rods have the spine of the rod running underneath, normal spinning roads have it running along the top.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of my favourite rods, although i got mine from Cabellas and had it sent over, this one is in the UK

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I use a abu silvermax3 for my spinning and imo it beats a fixed spool hands down.
One hand casting and setting pitch and flip as the yanks call it really accurate casting, but i would advise a baitcasting rod for reasons described above.

Trailblazer

Account Locked
I've used a baitcaster/multiplier on my normal spinning rods with no obvious problems that I could see. I did ask a rod builder if using my rod upside down would damage it, he just laughed and said "would it hell as like".

I have used a small multiplier for trotting, and it was great!