Spinning Noob...

WindyUK

Although I've been coarse fishing for more years than I care to remember, I've never done much spinning for perch.
Can someone tell me if lures with treble hooks that use barbs are ok in the UK?

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
The answer is yes - but dependant on the rules of the water.

It's a trade-off when I'm deciding, and I generally love to learn from people who know more/better than me, but I've learnt from experience and on this subject - I won't let anybody tell me otherwise on this particular matter, I believe my knowledge and experience is as good as any on this.

My theory is this -

Single Barbless - (Most likely to be deep hooked, easiest to resolve)
Single Micro Barbed
Single Barbed
Treble Barbless
Treble Micro Barbed
Treble Barbed - (Least likely to be deep booked, hardest to resolve)

...so you see the pattern, but that doesn't mean I believe that a Barbless Treble or a Single Barbed are the safest hooks overall because they meet in the middle of my theory - they actually don't, and that is due to the fact that "ease of resolving" - in my opinion - is much more valuable than "deep hooking avoidance".
I would rather - and I think it's better, safer, more successful - to have 50 easy deep hooks compared to even just 1 nasty difficult deep hook.

So personally I will use a Micro Barbed Single if the rules allow as I believe - all things considered - that is the overall safest hook, otherwise - a Barbless Single.

ALLROUND TRYER

Personally not keen on lures with 2 trebles for perch.. its really not needed, i either take the middle treble off or swap the trebles for singles if im targeting perch.

WindyUK

Thanks everyone for their views.
Would anyone recommend cutting two hooks from a treble, or just replace it completely with a single?
Also thinking of just filing down the barb if I use the hook that comes with it...

ALLROUND TRYER

Thanks everyone for their views.
Would anyone recommend cutting two hooks from a treble, or just replace it completely with a single?
Also thinking of just filing down the barb if I use the hook that comes with it...
Just replace them completely,,make sure they are facing away from each other so they dont get caught up.
I use wide gape hooks and crush the barb down.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I use trebles on spinners and spoons.
Barbs crushed and filed.
Some lures require trebles to be cut off / or if cutting trebles into double/single wear some safety glasses and try to hold pieces being separated with pliers/clamp/vice as when cut small pieces can go like rockets- and hurt!
Finally make sure you by decent split rings to put new hooks on.