Spinning Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcockmat

Just bought my self a 7ft leeda quicksilver spinning rod to try a bit of light spinning.

Just looking for a bit advice on spinning as iv never done it before, not looking for any beast just to catch on it would be brilliant especially a big stripey

cheers

Matt

Philocalist

Small fixed spool reel, get onto a river with a decent current (rather than a stillwater)
A small metallic spinner, Mepps-type, cast upstream into the current, then retrieved downstream at a pace slightly faster than the water.
Takes a bit of practice to get the rate right, and it's likely you WILL lose a lure or 3, but get it right and you can usually play with trout all day long .. they're not the hardest of fish to catch:)
Get lucky, and you'll latch onto the resident chub too which can be great fun on this type of gear.
Perch? You're most likely to run into the small school fish rather than anything bigger, but they are easy to prick and lose ... at which point they usually all vanish!

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Matt, never set up without a trace if pike are likely. Sink and draw cant go wrong.

Go to poundland and just change the trebles with your lures.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
De-barb your trebles.
It will save a lot of de-tangling in the landing net.

Don't be afraid to use jelly baits, do a bit of research and you will catch all day. :)

nobby478

miserable old ....
A bloody worm on the tail treble can tempt them too.

Sound advice about de-barbing...you rarely regret it and it makes it so much easier.

Different lures work at different speeds..it pays to work it at your feet in clear water to see what it actually does.

You could do a lot worse than a Rapala Shad Rap, solid body or jointed, they catch a lot of fish, several patterns...I like the perch.

Not truly spinning I know, but you need a few for variety.

I might add...there's a reason why every lure manufacturer does one in white with a red head....it don't look much to you and me, but it works...I think it looks like a wounded fish flashing as it rolls to the predators????

gibby

do a lot of lure fishing and agree with all that as been said.

Use braid rather than mono as there is no stretch and takes are a lot easier to detect and always, always use a wire trace as apart from commercials you will find pike almost anywhere. As for lures, you can spend a fortune but you dont need to. The ones from pound land work perfectly well and as you inevitably loose a few, work out a lot cheaper. As others have said, its also worth snipping the barbs off the trebles with a pair of pliers. Makes no difference and stops the tangles in your landing net (why tackle manufactures cant put barbless trebles on lures is beyond me).

Another good tip is to attach a lob tail, a red worm, or a few pinkies on the treble.

Remember to work the lure, a couple of quick turns of the handle, a slow one, let the lure flutter to the bottom and move the rod from side to side, - anything to mimic the movement of a sick or dying fish.

Location is also key in lure fishing. You are after a predator fish and most will lie up anywhere they can wait in ambush for a passing meal. Weed beds, near sunken trees, reed and lily pad beds, near moored boats, under bridges are all good places.

Takes can be a violent tug that nearly takes the rod from your hand or a gentle tap so be ready to strike if you feel any resistance.

Perhaps not strictly spinning, but old-fashioned sink and draw with a small lip hooked dead bait such as a minnow, a small roach or a gudgeon can be deadly. Every few casts let the bait lie on the bottom near the bank, lay the rod on the ground, leave the bail arm open and wait a few minutes to see if a fish has followed the bait in.

Travel as light as you can, all you need is a rod, reel, net, traces and a few lures. If the fish are there and in feeding mood, you often get a take after a few minutes. If not, time to move on so dont be encumbered by loads of gear. Its a great way to fish so enjoy!

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Here a tip.
Fix a second smaller treble to the first one using a short length of trace wire.
You will be surprised how many more fish you catch.
The reason is many fish miss the target so the trailing treble catches the fish.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Another good reason for taking the barbs off ya hooks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWPnmqo_1g[/youtube]

kcon123

If you are just starting out use barbless, but for lure fishing for pike barbed are the way to go.

Last edited:

nobby478

miserable old ....
Originally posted by Ferret1959

Another good reason for taking the barbs off ya hooks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWPnmqo_1g[/youtube]

He ha, been there, done that[:I]

That thing in his nose is the Shad Rap I was recommending!

kcon123

When I first started lure fishing I lost around half the pike I hooked. As soon as they tail walked or shook their heads at the net the weight of the lure would help them throw the hooks, no matter how hard I tried to keep the line tight. Not had this problem now with small barbs.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Ok so you may lose a few but when you have a fish twist in your net and tangle what is best?
I would rather have a few slip the hook than suffer in the net.

kcon123

Originally posted by Ferret1959

Ok so you may lose a few but when you have a fish twist in your net and tangle what is best?
I would rather have a few slip the hook than suffer in the net.

It wasn't just a few it was a lot of pike that I lost, nothing too big though. I did have one wrap up in the net with semi-barbless hooks while deadbaiting, had to cut my brand new net to shreds[:(]
I chin them out now when I can, or don't leave them in the net too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.