spinning for perch

Status
Not open for further replies.

flounder

has any one got any advice on spinning for perch?i fish on a shallow canal and my mate has caught a 2lb perch out of it.its 6ft deep.you can actually see the perch chaseing small fry up to the top and crashing into them.thanks

bob

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Bob,

It's a long time since I did any spinning which was in a local lake, near where rowing boats used to be mored and in shallow water. You could see the perch just beneath the surface against the boat sides and like you said when they saw fry, away they went in hot pursuit.

The method that I used quite successfully was to cast beyond the fish and then hold the rod tip high into the air whilst reeling in slowly. You can direct the spinner from side to side but at the same time keep it just under the surface. If you dipped the rod tip it caused the spinner to sink, lift the rod again and up it came all adding to the effect.

When you got a take, 'flick' the rod back, lay the rod down to the side away from any obstacles and pull the perch into the open at the same time, takes a bit of practice but as you lay the rod down, move it forward and wind in as well to keep the line taught. Take care though as they have soft mouths behind the bony 'lips' so don't strike hard as you may well pull out or tear it, more let the fish hook itself.

Give it a try and come back and tell us how it worked.

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Daves style sounds about right (i don't spin for Perch so i can't help you any)

I'll mail a friend who's just about the best authority on Perch n Pike fishing i know.

If he can't give you sound advice i dunno who can

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Steve Burke

This is a huge subject! However, the 2 most important factors when lure fishing are to fish at the right depth and the right speed.

Because of their unusual swim bladder arrangement perch can't sustain rapid depth changes. Although they can chase a small fish up to the surface for instance, they have to dive down again pretty quickly. To maximise your catch of perch it's thus important to fish at the right depth. This is especially important in deep water.

So I'd suggest you start with a sinking lure and use what's called the countdown technique. With the first cast let the lure sink to the bottom whilst counting to yourself. If you let the lure sink on a tight line you'll know when it's reached the bottom as the tension will go out of the line. If the line suddenly moves whilst sinking, strike! This is a take. Otherwise you can start retrieving.
Remember how far you had reached counting when the lure reached bottom and next cast start your retrieve slightly earlier.

Turning to speed, a good rule of thumb is the colder the weather, the slower the retrieve. In fact, in cold weather you can rarely retrieve too slowly.

You've obviously found a swim that contains perch. Look also for anywhere there's low light like around bridges and overhanging trees.

Finally, do make sure that you use a wire trace unless you're absolutely certain there are no pike in the water (very rare for there not to be in a canal). Failure to do so will mean that sooner or later you'll get bitten off. Not only will you use your lure, but more importantly you'll kill a pike.

flounder

thank you for every one you answerd my message,i used the methods you described and caught 4 perch to 2lb!!

bob

ally

I would like some veiws on the best spinners for perch.
What colour is best, also what size of treble shoud i use,
and is it ok to spin during winter.

ally merrin

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ally

I'd suggest using the "mail member" bit at the top of Steve Burkes post & asking him (he's just about the top Perca fluviatilis & Esox lucius fella i can think of)

Enjoy ya fishing

Alan

Steve Burke

Hi Flounder, congratulations on your big perch! Here's to many more.

Ally, this is again a huge subject and very much depends on the conditions and the venue/swims you're fishing. Are you specifically talking about spinners or lures in general? I'd be pleased to help if you e-mail me some details, the more info the better. I'll then post a reply here.

As to spinning in winter, yes it most certainly is worthwhile! In fact, it's when I do most of my perch fishing.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
ah ha so Steves a lurker!!!

Hey Steve glad to see you're still looking in its good ere init?

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.