Spinning for beginners - advice needed

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Work is driving me mad - new rules implemented today for masks to be worn during rest breaks & everyone is ultra grumpy

Need to get back on the river for short lunch sessions just to keep my sanity but too high for float work

I’ve not used a spinner in 40yrs with a rod my dad shortened when it broke & technology has moved on a loooong way since then so I am seeking guidance from current anglers

All I aim to do is flick out a little spinner along the near side reeds or over between the multitude of moored boats opposite on a stretch of the Medway to tempt a few little perch

On a tight budget (as always) but thinking an 8’ rod of some description so I can wander and leave it set up in the car boot

Is braid the way to go ? - watched a lot of videos over the weekend that say yes but ive never used it before

Is a wire trace essential in case of jacks chancing on the lure ?

What spinners are recommended these days ?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to get out

DFL

Site Supporter
Braid, yes and go for some strong breaking strain, even 50lb is quite thin, means you can pull from most snags and not lose so many lures.

Wire trace advisable but not essential, I've landed plenty of jacks on a 10lb Fluoro leader.

Spinners, so many to choose from but one that still as good as when you fished all those years ago is the Mepps.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My fave spinner lure is the old ABU Krill, had a lot of fish on them, but they are rare and quite expensive secondhand

More Faves are the ABU droppen and Tobys, good lures that have stood the test of time

rudd

Site Supporter
Its winter and Perch will not generally chase a spinner if just reeled.
Few winds, !et it flutter to bottom, pause, few winds, let in flutter to bottom etc etc.
Better off with drop shot, small jigs worked very slowly.
My favourite spinner is a number two/three sized bronze or silver mepps aglia for Perch.
Braid is desirable but a low stretch feeder mono with a flurocarbon leader will work.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Lure fishing for perch is something I only very occasionally do so I have a pretty budget set up which I guess might be the sort of style of thing you're after.

I use an 8ft korum snapper 7-12g rod, 2000 Shimano sienna reel with 10lb braid which I can't recall the brand and then about 6-8ft of 6lb of I think some sort of Berkeley fluorocarbon. I don't use wire myself as the tiny lures I tend to use don't seem to attract pike but if I fished that way more often I'd use wire as probably only a matter of time before I get one. Lure wise I find silver, gold and white the best colours and go for mepps spinners, little metal perks/jigs, micro spoons, Buck tail jigs and little rubber shads on real light jig heads. Fluttery, hopping, jerky and twitchy retrieves all work on their day.

Getting the bites isn't too hard but I do really struggle to hook them. For example I literally only properly hooked a handful of perch across a couple sessions at it this year 🤔 rather small perch mind you probably about a pound between them 😂

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks all - great help as always

Typically the local shop has only one spinning rod in stock & its £135 o_O so a trawl of marketplace and eBay required

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Korum Speed Spin range are fantastic for not a lot of money. i have the 8'6 10-35g as an allrounder.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks all - great help as always

Typically the local shop has only one spinning rod in stock & its £135 o_O so a trawl of marketplace and eBay required
Spinning rods can get a bit addictive once you start with them, I’ve got more of them than any other type of rod yet I use them less than most other types of rod 😂

Silver fan 82

Good advice above. I would always advise using a wire trace because at some point you will catch a Pike and the last thing you want is a Pike swimming around with a spinner stuck in it.

BURNING

light lure fishing is really very simple on the rods, you don't need to spend money at all (unless you are long casting from shore for seabass and mackerel). you want something small and lightweight, if you are not physically comfortable holding a heavy rod in your arms for 5 hours you won't be having fun, so get something light as a feather

Reels I would suggest spending slightly more as you are constantly, constantly reeling,

you will want to use weedless soft lures (4cm to 7cm) slowly bounced along the bottom this time of year, offset worm hook and a carolina/texan bullet weight or a cheburashka weight. (weight should be what your spinning rod is rated for, ultralight is 1-5g medium range is something like 5-20g and heavy pike lure baitcasters will be 30-100 or even more)

lots of people talk about dropshotting but I really don't understand the point of it over bullet weight/ cheb weights

weedless soft lures, just get cheap stuff most of the time they work great, fox rage spikey shad, korum squirmz, soft crayfish lures etc. are particularly good winter perch lures that you just very slowly bounce along the bottom with lots of pauses to impulse a take

I personally like the 5-20 gram range as it basically handles everything big like seabass and pike but still gives you a lot of fun for perch and mackerel, if I went lighter I'd be unable to cast long distance sea fishing lures and big fish would give me snapped rod fears and if I went heavier I'd never catch perch/mackerel on 100 gram lures

trying to use a spinner on the bottom is something I tried doing last winter and I would lose a spinner to snags every hour I used them, not to mention they can't be retrieved slow enough for winter perch to bother even looking at them. Come spring and it's an entirely different story, spinners will become one of the best lures in my lurebox as the water will be warm and the perch will be warmed up and happy to chase after baitfish

BURNING

I would buy some cheap 15lb traces and find out how many pike you are catching in this water before thinking about switching to flourocarbon, my local canal has far more pike than perch so the trace is permanently tied on every session

CarpCatcher86

I would personally recommend the Shimano Catana rods and reels. £30-£35 ish for a rod and £35-£40 for a reel isn't bad at all.
At least 20lb braid is ideal along with a wire trace in case you encounter anything with teeth. Don't buy cheap traces, 19 strand Fox surefit leaders (30cm 17lb bs) can be bought for £3 ish. Unless you lose it they will last ages.
I will also give another vote for the Abu Garcia Dropen spinners.