Speed Limiter

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If it's automatic it would have to adjust to the speed changes on variable speed limit motorways to give one example. You could be doing 70 then suddenly enter a 40 zone. The car would have to break for you to slow you down to the new speed.

NB. No problem with the manual ones. I just don't use mine.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Will we be able to switch them off though do you think ?

Saw something about people getting courses on driving electric cars on the internet the other day. Never driven one but, they say they go like #### off a shovel. 🤷‍♂️

You’ll be able to map it out, just as you can alter the software of any vehicle now. Plenty of DPF’s and EGR’s are deleted from the ECU by mapping companies.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You’ll be able to map it out, just as you can alter the software of any vehicle now. Plenty of DPF’s and EGR’s are deleted from the ECU by mapping companies.

I’m the least mechanically minded person on here but, the EGR valve started playing up on my van and brought a red light on on my dash. Took it in and the mechanic said …. We can by - pass that for you if you want. I said I’d rather them fit a new one. They pulled a face and said …. Ok then. It cost about £180 and later the mechanic said their gaffer didn’t want to do it has it was a pig to get to. Must be a reason why Vauxhall fitted it. 🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’m the least mechanically minded person on here but, the EGR valve started playing up on my van and brought a red light on on my dash. Took it in and the mechanic said …. We can by - pass that for you if you want. I said I’d rather them fit a new one. They pulled a face and said …. Ok then. It cost about £180 and later the mechanic said their gaffer didn’t want to do it has it was a pig to get to. Must be a reason why Vauxhall fitted it. 🤷‍♂️
Always blank mine off, runs much better, how anyone can think recirculating exhaust gas is any good for performance is beyond me, it’s supposed to reduce emissions, but I’m far from convinced.

I used to have a Mitsubishi Delica, could just blank it off with any software changes, it went from black smoking on acceleration, to no smoke. Never had any issues at MOT time, now I have got EGR blanks and Tafmet emulators fitted rather than mapped out, it’s easier to revert to standard when selling. I’ve left the DPF’s in place though as my mileage doesn’t cause issues.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Always blank mine off, runs much better, how anyone can think recirculating exhaust gas is any good for performance is beyond me, it’s supposed to reduce emissions, but I’m far from convinced.

I used to have a Mitsubishi Delica, could just blank it off with any software changes, it went from black smoking on acceleration, to no smoke. Never had any issues at MOT time, now I have got EGR blanks and Tafmet emulators fitted rather than mapped out, it’s easier to revert to standard when selling. I’ve left the DPF’s in place though as my mileage doesn’t cause issues.

So blanking my EGR valve off was a plug in jobby not a physical plate over an exhaust port thingy ? I think their concern was getting to it. They had to take the grill off, turbo intercooler plus various pipes and cables etc. Think I peed em off when I told them just to fit a new one. 🤣🤣. They did say though that doing it their way it could fail an MOT. They wouldn’t know until MOT time 🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
So blanking my EGR valve off was a plug in jobby not a physical plate over an exhaust port thingy ? I think their concern was getting to it. They had to take the grill off, turbo intercooler plus various pipes and cables etc. Think I peed em off when I told them just to fit a new one. 🤣🤣. They did say though that doing it their way it could fail an MOT. They wouldn’t know until MOT time 🤷‍♂️

You can just map them out and hope they stay closed, but they could leak through and be feeding exhaust gases into the intake all the time, blanking off is the best way.

carphauler

I blanked my EGR as soon I got the car, it runs much better with fresh air in the intake than exhaust gases, the old girl is off to the great scrapyard in the sky this year so looking at Volvo v50's and DPFs ☹️

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You can just map them out and hope they stay closed, but they could leak through and be feeding exhaust gases into the intake all the time, blanking off is the best way.

Just googled …. EGR valve and for the first couple of minutes I understood it then it started talking about Diesel Knock and other terms I’ve never heard of. I guess a EGR valve is there to try and lower emissions. 🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just googled …. EGR valve and for the first couple of minutes I understood it then it started talking about Diesel Knock and other terms I’ve never heard of. I guess a EGR valve is there to try and lower emissions. 🤷‍♂️

It’s is, I’m not convinced by it and the more emissions control there is on Diesel engines, the more unreliable they get. It has no useful purpose as anything other than emission control - DPF, SCR, EGR all a right pain and the SCR/RA injection that stops you starting when the RA tank is empty is dead handy if you run out at an inconvenient time.

Trouble is, now all these low emissions zones coming mean you have to have this (Euro 6) or pay. When just a few years ago we were being pushed to buy diesels. Once Euro 7 or whatever the next stage is comes out, watch them put Euro 6 in the payment category.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It’s is, I’m not convinced by it and the more emissions control there is on Diesel engines, the more unreliable they get. It has no useful purpose as anything other than emission control - DPF, SCR, EGR all a right pain and the SCR/RA injection that stops you starting when the RA tank is empty is dead handy if you run out at an inconvenient time.

Trouble is, now all these low emissions zones coming mean you have to have this (Euro 6) or pay. When just a few years ago we were being pushed to buy diesels. Once Euro 7 or whatever the next stage is comes out, watch them put Euro 6 in the payment category.

I only learnt what Addblue was a couple of months ago. That’s how far behind I am 🙄. My mate’s company van has two petrol tanks ( I think ) one with diesel and another he puts this blue stuff in. Something to do with emissions I think. He drives all over and I think this stuff allows him to drive into cities. I think it does. 🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I only learnt what Addblue was a couple of months ago. That’s how far behind I am 🙄. My mate’s company van has two petrol tanks ( I think ) one with diesel and another he puts this blue stuff in. Something to do with emissions I think. He drives all over and I think this stuff allows him to drive into cities. I think it does. 🤷‍♂️

Adblue (or Reducing Agent) is urea. Sometimes rumoured to be pigs pee, but it’s chemically manufactured, it’s controlled by the ECU and injected into the SCR when conditions (temperature) are right and it converts Nox onto Nitrogen and Oxygen, Euro 6 limited Nox levels and this is how to achieve it, but it adds a whole new layer of expensive bits to the engine,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Hilux uses AdBlue but 10l easily does 8k miles so no issues.
As for the EGR valve, it's not possible to blank it off as the valve also acts as a vent for the turbo's gas dumps, by blocking the EGR valve you also prevent the turbo from dumping which causes excessive lag and numerous EM faults

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I hope I got where you were coming from though, adaptive speed limiters... so if you drive in a 30 zone your car automatically limits you.

I predict pile ups. :LOL:

stikflote

Site Supporter
It will have to be automatic and set speed according to national speed limits,
my last three cars have all had speed limiters but you can switch those off ,
so it wouldnt make sense unless some thing triggers it from road signage

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cars have always been fitted with speed limiters it just that the human right foot is almost impossible to calibrate correctly, hence the need for mechanical or electric control. ;)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Hilux uses AdBlue but 10l easily does 8k miles so no issues.
As for the EGR valve, it's not possible to blank it off as the valve also acts as a vent for the turbo's gas dumps, by blocking the EGR valve you also prevent the turbo from dumping which causes excessive lag and numerous EM faults

I’m sure someone has worked out a way, I know with some engines they fit a blank but put a 10mm hole in it, massively decreases the recirculating, quite unusual now, most engines dump waste gates direct to exhaust.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Got a limiter on my VW Passat, it just bings if you exceed what it's set at.
I think its just a reminder you promised yourself you wouldn't go over 80mph. I usually get to about the 3rd 'bing' then switch it off and accelerate away. Mine also 'bings' when it gets to 4°c, its been 'binging' quite a lot recently.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If you don't want a limiter, buy a second hand car... simples... there are going to be limiters on bikes too eventually... not an issue for me at 63 as my Bonneville is probably my last bike, and all petrol bike will stop being made in the near future so leccy ones'll be limited anyway, but again if you don't want to be limited, buy an older bike...

Case in point, 1 litre+ sports bikes have been limited for years..... to 186mph...😈

Well on the speedo anyway...the BMW S1000RR Can hit 210mph but only read 186 on the speedo, as can the Ducati Panigale... 220bhp has to go somewhere...😈🤣🤣🤣