Speed Limiter

stikflote

Site Supporter
So all new cars from April are going to be fitted with a Speed a Limiter .
Ive tried the speed limiter on my car on motorway at 70 and you start to catch up other traffic
if you put your foot down to over take car will not accelerate so you get stuck at side of it
so are we going to have three lanes of traffic all doing 70mph .

If they do this on a bike i can see it being dangerous

brian carragher

Site Supporter
My car and van have both cruise and limiter options, all thats going to happen is that all new motors will have them fitted

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My car and van have both cruise and limiter options, all thats going to happen is that all new motors will have them fitted

Will we be able to switch them off though do you think ?

Saw something about people getting courses on driving electric cars on the internet the other day. Never driven one but, they say they go like #### off a shovel. 🤷‍♂️

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I don't see why not, it would make for a pretty shitty system that disabled your car if for instance you wanted to drive in Germany on the autobahn

You have the option of using either or niether as it is now and I dont see them altering that, my missus' car is exactly the same but I think her controls are brand new, never get used:D

D

Deleted member 23692

Do national speed limits currently not apply to them?

At the end of the day if people hadn’t been dying in vehicle collisions would this have come into existence? By the figures you could say that we’ve proved most aren’t capable of driving at the current limits.

Total

Site Supporter
Will we be able to switch them off though do you think ?

Saw something about people getting courses on driving electric cars on the internet the other day. Never driven one but, they say they go like #### off a shovel. 🤷‍♂️
You might need a refresher driving course knowing how close you get to canal/ drain edges when out and about around your way!:p:ROFLMAO::geek:

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know the EU have passed legislation making them compulsory, but not sure if it applies to Britain ! All the car manufactures might automatically fit them but they may not be compulsory in Britain if you can get a car without one or remove it !

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
The UK government will most likely follow Europe.
They use gps and traffic sign recognition to limit the speed. They can be over ridden by pressing hard on the accelerator, and will reset when the engine is started again.
But they will sound warning buzzers and bells until you get back to the speed limit.
Most cars fitted with them will be limited to 112 mph top speed.

Browner

Site Supporter
Ive tried the speed limiter on my car on motorway at 70 and you start to catch up other traffic
if you put your foot down to over take car will not accelerate so you get stuck at side of it

The limiter on my car, Hyundai, over rides if you put your foot down hard and accelerates. Same as the cruise control.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Got a limiter on my VW Passat, it just bings if you exceed what it's set at.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter

to be fair mate we already have the middle two lane of the motorway doing 55 to 60 ,why do the dummies insist on doing it

Robwooly

On the M25 everything has been limited to 60mph for years, mainly due to the numpties who hog the middle lanes doing that speed, despite not overtaking, every day, every stretch, any time of day you get them, without fail.

I like to undertake them, yes it's breaking the law but it's worth it to see the numb look on their thick faces

davylad

Site Supporter
I don't see a problem with them, I turn mine on very rarely, maybe on a notorious speed camera area. On a motorway why use it, why not use cruise control?