speed detection VANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

me

Wheres the cameras on these vans? Are they out of the back?, front window or both ?

I don't need any lectures on i shouldn't of been speeding as i know and will quite happily take my punishment, but was just wondering were the cameras are positioned. The stupid thing was in a lay by so you'd just think it was a normal van until you got up to it and saw speed safety van printed on the side of it

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Usually in the back mate - doors either open as you approach or in some areas they are through back windows.

In Notts we seem to be going for the ' anywhere near cones' to hide within in the workers vans....nice touch

norm

back of van top corner usualy

you may be ok i passed one at 98 mph about a month ago and heard nothing yet

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The smaller vans generally have them pointed out of the rear but some of the larger Transit types can also have them pointing out of small portholes to the sides of the van
That'a not to say the person inside isn't using a Hand-held and aiming it from the driver's window, that's if he's in the van at all and not stood twenty yards in front/behind it

Get yourself a Road Angel Compact, most places are now selling them at just over the 100 mark with the laser detector unit added free
I've got one and custom mounted it so that it's permanently in place and the laser detector is covertly placed near the number plate - trust me they do work

By the way I use mine not to warn me of speed cameras and camera vans but to give me advanced notice of accident hot/black spots - after all the cameras and vans are only parked there for safety reasons apparently so in effect picking up on these is giving me notice of a potential hazard [:)]

me

Originally posted by Enigma

The speed limit is there for a reason.

yes to pee people off and for me to break it [:p]

Dave Ive got road angel in my van but my van was in the garage getting serviced so i had someone else's van. luckily if the camera was out of the back i might just of got my speed down in amonkst the break dust [;)] as i drooped from over 60 down to 40ish in the length of a short wheeled based ford tranny [:I][;)][:D][:D][:D].

Well i will just wait and see if i get 3 points or not [:D].

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave

- after all the cameras and vans are only parked there for safety reasons apparently so in effect picking up on these is giving me notice of a potential hazard [:)]

Sweet. [:D]

Around here, they have the back of the van painted bright fluorescent red with diagonal black stripes, so you really do have to be pretty thick to miss 'em.

Plus all the local kids on bikes giving "slow down, Nick-Nick" signs.

And oncoming drivers flashing their lights to warn you.
Is that a bookable offence, by the way ? [?]

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Apparently it is "perverting the course of justice" of somefink like that

luremad

Barbelus Maximus
Evil money grabbing contraptions out of all things associated with driving speed "safety" cameras are the ones i hate the most i am sure they work but why does nearly every stretch of road need one ???

ahammond

At least in England it is not as bad as Scotland. I regularly do the Newcastle to Edinborough trip along the A697 via Coldstream. The journey is roughly half and half in England and Scotland.

In the English half there are four cameras situated in two villages through which I could well imagine people speeding dangerously. Indeed a couple of buildings bear the marks of cars that have failed the driving through test. So fair enough they are there for a proven purpose and there is ample warning of the speed limit and the cameras. So no excuse for getting flashed.

In the Scottish half on the other hand there are about nine or ten all on wide open straight stretches of road where it is all to easy to exceed the speed limit without realising it or during overtaking. They are also invariably partly hidden by roadside growth. To make matters worse they do not seem to operate all the time. So you may get away with it one day and then next there is a flash and three points on your licence.

Incidentally why have the points system at all for minor speeding offences? Fair enough if some nutter is doing well over the limit and endangering other people. But for the average five or six miles an hour over the limit that most people get done for surely a a fine is more than enough?

Last edited:

its_lazarus

a reliable friend
Originally posted by norm

back of van top corner usualy

you may be ok i passed one at 98 mph about a month ago and heard nothing yet

Good news then Norman, If you haven't received a 'notice of intended prosecution' within 14 days of the offence then they cannot charge you though they often try, as many just roll over and pay the fine without querying it.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I actually witnessed an accident which was indirectly caused by one of these vans yesterday. (Though some high-minded individuals will claim that the accident was caused by those involved in it).

In a line of traffic approaching a village, a car spotted the van too late and slammed his anchors on.

The young lady behind him wasn't quite as quick, and back-ended him will a mighty wallop.

The road was blocked.

And did those plonkers get out of the van to help? Did they hell!

They dialed 999 or got on the radio, and 5 minutes later the local plod was on the scene.

"Safety Vans" my ar$e !

[:(!]

Columbo

It's about time they clampdown on the real menace on our roads - tailgaters! Start charging the to55ers with careless driving and give them all 6 points.

I had one the other day, I was such a bad person I was doing 30 in a 30, she was trying to have a look in my boot, a lorry coming the other way flashed and gave the thumbs down to signal the traps are out in vans (always on this stretch of road). So I politely moved over and she went roaring off gesturing at me. Two miles later in a layby there she was, so I tooted and gave her a friendly little wave. Brilliant! [:D]

Steve

Simple

Sikea
I saw one today on the A449 heading into stafford.
He was parked across the pavement and half on the grass!!
He was also half in the hedge to hide behind a bush, very sneaky.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
There is one in the village just before Porthmadog, heading from Dolgellau toward Porthmadog. They are there all the time pretty much. He is either parked the far side of a big garage so he is hidden amongst all the caravans for sale and by the time you work out what he is, it is a little too late.

He also sits in the afternoon catching the day-trippers who are travelling home.

It works, none of us speed through there.

I doubt I will ever be flashing my lights to warn people - they just shouldn't be speeding in a built up area.. hit me at 30/hit me at 40 and all that! They will only do it once, I'm sure!!

Cheers,

Ed

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Simple Simon - the a449 is littered with them mate.

I drive from Mansfield to Dudley twice a week and must encounter 10-15 gatso and vans along the route A38 - A5 - A449. Its mad. They start at Lichfield through Cannock and then all the way down a449.

its_lazarus

a reliable friend
Originally posted by Columbo

It's about time they clampdown on the real menace on our roads - tailgaters! Start charging the to55ers with careless driving and give them all 6 points.

I had one the other day, I was such a bad person I was doing 30 in a 30, she was trying to have a look in my boot, a lorry coming the other way flashed and gave the thumbs down to signal the traps are out in vans (always on this stretch of road). So I politely moved over and she went roaring off gesturing at me. Two miles later in a layby there she was, so I tooted and gave her a friendly little wave. Brilliant! [:D]

LMAO I'd pay to see that LOL LOL

Steve

methodgob

yoda
30 mph is a joke in a modern car on most roads these days!I can do that on the flat on my push bike!
We have better brakes than ever,better steering,better tyres driving should be much safer....HOWEVER.....we also have a car full of distracting toys!

bluetooth ear piece for phone,cd,ipod,radio,sat nav,radar dtector,climate controls,cruise settings,this that and the other.Take all the toys out of cars and see how much safer things are when people just have to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.