Speed Awareness Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Guess where I'm going today?

Fortunately I managed to get on a course on a Saturday morning otherwise it would have meant a loss of a day's pay as well as paying to attend a course :(

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No it's a means to creating a stealth tax by councils :mad:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Ah that one mate, make sure ya look like yer tekkin notice and a bit of Participation as they will chuck ya off the course and ya end up with the points mate, a pal of mine is proof of this.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
TBH it was a toss up as to whether to take the points or not, clean licence, but then it would only mean getting ripped off for the next five years by the insurance companies who compute you as a higher risk and therefore load your premiums.
Not only yours but anyone elses where you are a named driver.

Anyway, must dash, don't want to be late :pontiac:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I still think speed limits should be done away with. We are all adults, we can decide what is safe.

Corn Master

Guess where I'm going today?

Fortunately I managed to get on a course on a Saturday morning otherwise it would have meant a loss of a day's pay as well as paying to attend a course :(
It's a great day out listening to those condescending flatfooted t w ats who run the course who yes you got it, either drive Nissan Notes, Micras, Toyota Starlets or similar and sit about 6" from the wheel only do 20mph in a 30 as they either think the world evolves around them or are completely oblivious that everyone is trying to get somewhere rather than being out on a trip out. These are the t wa ts that never indicate...they wont tell you that on the course tho..nooooo, they are perfect. Try not to p I s s yourself Dave while they are giving you the all high and mighty speeches knowing that these folk are the above
All in all it's a good day out sitting on plastic chairs daydreaming you're somewhere else, anywhere
Enjoy Dave ?

Corn Master

Just a tip...never put your hand up thinking you know the answer to a question

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
It's a great day out listening to those condescending flatfooted t w ats who run the course who yes you got it, either drive Nissan Notes, Micras, Toyota Starlets or similar and sit about 6" from the wheel only do 20mph in a 30 as they either think the world evolves around them or are completely oblivious that everyone is trying to get somewhere rather than being out on a trip out. These are the t wa ts that never indicate...they wont tell you that on the course tho..nooooo, they are perfect. Try not to p I s s yourself Dave while they are giving you the all high and mighty speeches knowing that these folk are the above
All in all it's a good day out sitting on plastic chairs daydreaming you're somewhere else, anywhere
Enjoy Dave ?
Now that's an attitude to have. If I've read you correctly you know more than the experts.

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
I still think speed limits should be done away with. We are all adults, we can decide what is safe.
hmmm kind of making me think there , but at what point would you convict someone ? if as an adult i decide 50 is ok but i run someone over where 30 i would of been able to stop ?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I did one and the bloke stood up and said speed kills as an opening statement.......I suggested that going fast has not killed anyone it's the stopping that does the damage ... That didn't go down well... Then he put a slide up that said approx 80% of accidents were caused by inappropriate speed ,which he read as excessive speed ...when a guy pointed out that there was a subtle difference and that 20mph might actually be inappropriate speed in poor conditions but on the same road in good conditions with a clear road then 80mph might not even be inappropriate. ...again didn't go down well, they obviously have an agenda and tend to bend the facts and truth more than a little to fit this agenda. No one in their right mind would argue that bad driving is dangerous and this includes inappropriate use of speed, but there was one girl on my course that got done for doing 25mph in a 20mph zone outside a school, totally understand why we have 20mph limits at schools but she got flashed at 1 o'clock in the morning... Was 25mph inappropriate then ? I tend to think not.. we are certainly using the speeding is dangerous card as a means of collecting revenue, if a more sensible approach was taken then just maybe their would be a little more respect for the campaign

TonyA

Site Supporter
I did one a while ago and a lady on the course insisted that her car could not go as slow as 30 mph.
On a more serious course (due care) another lady, elderly, said she didn't know what her wing mirrors were for, and after a crash, another said: "well, no one ever turns right there."
So be careful what you wish for.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I did one and the bloke stood up and said speed kills as an opening statement.......I suggested that going fast has not killed anyone it's the stopping that does the damage ... That didn't go down well... Then he put a slide up that said approx 80% of accidents were caused by inappropriate speed ,which he read as excessive speed ...when a guy pointed out that there was a subtle difference and that 20mph might actually be inappropriate speed in poor conditions but on the same road in good conditions with a clear road then 80mph might not even be inappropriate. ...again didn't go down well, they obviously have an agenda and tend to bend the facts and truth more than a little to fit this agenda. No one in their right mind would argue that bad driving is dangerous and this includes inappropriate use of speed, but there was one girl on my course that got done for doing 25mph in a 20mph zone outside a school, totally understand why we have 20mph limits at schools but she got flashed at 1 o'clock in the morning... Was 25mph inappropriate then ? I tend to think not.. we are certainly using the speeding is dangerous card as a means of collecting revenue, if a more sensible approach was taken then just maybe their would be a little more respect for the campaign

Never done a course, but totally agree about the inappropriate nature of some limits. The standard of driving on our roads is dreadful, just come back from France and the lane discipline and general driving standards are higher, much more enjoyable place to drive.

I have long been a believer that the speed cameras fixed and mobile are no more than revenue generators, actual traffic cops on the road might catch those driving without licences, insurance, drink & drug driving and just general poor driving standards, whilst having the common sense to realise that some speed limits are appropriate at different times of the day, road and traffic conditions.

A few weeks ago on my way to a match, a Sunday morning at 08:00, there was a mobile motorcycle camera operator, partially hidden in a hedgerow, just a few yards from where a 40mph limit changes to national speed limit, (luckily my mate was a bit ahead of me and phoned to warn me) no one will ever convince me that this was a safety related operation. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out these camera operators are on a bonus scheme.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Account Locked
There has got to be speed limits otherwise it would be like death race 2000 lol.
However, the speed cameras, speed awarness courses etc are just more stealth taxes.....same as the rod licence!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Totally agree with the above, speed cameras are only capable of policing one particular offence on a very short stretch of road ( how many people slow down when passing a camera then immediately speed up again when they pass) more police say in lay-bys would be much more effective and would be able to police all driving offences

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wish we would focus less on speed and more on bad driving. Speed cameras don’t record bad driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.