Specimen carp & big barbell venues UK

Fresh Fishing

Hi all,

looking to arrange a spring/summer trip next year for a week. We want to go to a good specimen carp lake for a few days and then go to a river where we can catch some nice sized barbell.

Planning on staying in the bivvy for the duration so need to be able to camp near the river.

happy to travel anywhere in U.K. would love to hear advice on where to go.

cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There’s loads of accommodation options on the Severn and Wye on the barbel front. On the carp front I know next to nothing about them but in my neck of the woods in Oxfordshire you have the linear and linch hill complexes plus other gravel pits dotted around, you would obviously have the Thames on your doorstep as well which may be lacking many barbel up this way but does do perch and chub to specimen sizes. Milton Keynes area also has some big carp waters plus the Ouse which still produces the odd big barbel and again perch and chub to specimen sizes.

Fresh Fishing

There’s loads of accommodation options on the Severn and Wye on the barbel front. On the carp front I know next to nothing about them but in my neck of the woods in Oxfordshire you have the linear and linch hill complexes plus other gravel pits dotted around, you would obviously have the Thames on your doorstep as well which may be lacking many barbel up this way but does do perch and chub to specimen sizes. Milton Keynes area also has some big carp waters plus the Ouse which still produces the odd big barbel and again perch and chub to specimen sizes.
I’ve seen a lot about the river wye so that is 100% an option! Would like a carp lake nearby if possible so we can split the week in 2...

Thanks for the advice ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
would be happy with carp from 15lb upwards tbh mate!

I’ll give them spots a look ?

Then I suggest A1 pit 5, you'll need some good scales. Take a look at the Gallery on the A1 pits site (pit 5). or does 30lb plus make you need a trouser change? (just kidding).

Enjoy your time wherever you may go on your quest. :upthumb:

nejohn

Site Supporter
The Wye is a good bet for Barbel and Chub, but it is not just a case of turning up on the bank, chucking a feeder out and catching a big Barbel, sometimes it can be hard work but the rewards can be very good and the scenary is fantastic, if you based yourself around Hereford, Ross or Monmouth you have lots of day ticket stretches but they mostly need to be booked in advance through someone like the Wye and Usk foundation or anglers dreams both of which also have stillwaters with plenty of carp in them (Drummonds Dub has some very large carp but you need to book well in advance) you also have Docklow Pools on the doorstep just north of Hereford which is possibly one of the nicest Commies around and not forgetting that little known place....Redmire Pool...!!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you not worried about particularly big carp I’d definitely go somewhere in the wye or Severn valleys then as they’ll be your best bet for barbel and there’s bound to be a decent enough carp lake nearby. You might want to do the carp first though as I think once you get on the banks or the wye or Severn you’ll struggle to pull yourself away for anything else!

Fresh Fishing

The Wye is a good bet for Barbel and Chub, but it is not just a case of turning up on the bank, chucking a feeder out and catching a big Barbel, sometimes it can be hard work but the rewards can be very good and the scenary is fantastic, if you based yourself around Hereford, Ross or Monmouth you have lots of day ticket stretches but they mostly need to be booked in advance through someone like the Wye and Usk foundation or anglers dreams both of which also have stillwaters with plenty of carp in them (Drummonds Dub has some very large carp but you need to book well in advance) you also have Docklow Pools on the doorstep just north of Hereford which is possibly one of the nicest Commies around and not forgetting that little known place....Redmire Pool...!!
Fantastic advice, will look into all of these! Spot on ?

Fresh Fishing

If you not worried about particularly big carp I’d definitely go somewhere in the wye or Severn valleys then as they’ll be your best bet for barbel and there’s bound to be a decent enough carp lake nearby. You might want to do the carp first though as I think once you get on the banks or the wye or Severn you’ll struggle to pull yourself away for anything else!
Is the Wye really that good?

I’ve only ever really fished the river swale up in North Yorkshire where I’ve had some good chub and lots of brown trout...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Both the wye and Severn are very dependent on the conditions but both can be brilliant on their day. The main attraction to me though is that they seem like proper untamed rivers in often stunning scenery so you only need to have a decent day fish wise to make it a great day overall.

Fresh Fishing

Both the wye and Severn are very dependent on the conditions but both can be brilliant on their day. The main attraction to me though is that they seem like proper untamed rivers in often stunning scenery so you only need to have a decent day fish wise to make it a great day overall.
Sounds absolutely fantastic! We'll be video documenting our trip so even though it ages way next year I'll be sure to post the video on here. Very excited already :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just to whet the appetite, here’s couple of photos from a couple of my Severn and wye trips from last year. Didn’t make it to them this year for a few reasons mainly the ridiculous amount of rain recently, a decent drive and accommodation for the night is a bit much faff to risk turning up to a high river for.

Attachments

• 36D34F79-F590-4F60-A003-E7AAA3DE1784.jpeg
    36D34F79-F590-4F60-A003-E7AAA3DE1784.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 7
  • AC417777-8DA9-4386-916F-F6B5357F133B.jpeg
    AC417777-8DA9-4386-916F-F6B5357F133B.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 7

Fresh Fishing

Just to whet the appetite, here’s couple of photos from a couple of my Severn and wye trips from last year. Didn’t make it to them this year for a few reasons mainly the ridiculous amount of rain recently, a decent drive and accommodation for the night is a bit much faff to risk turning up to a high river for.
Incredible scenery! Is it Summer yet? haha

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Dog Lane Fishery in Warwickshire has 2 specimen carp lakes. There's a good stock of carp in the twenties and thirties and one carp around 42.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never been there but just occurred to me that manor farm leisure could allow you to tick off the carp, barbel and accommodation in one place.

I have fished the Avon however although admittedly not for barbel but it is a great river.