Species you’ve caught the most of?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I suspect the answer is rudd. One club I used to belong to had many waters plagued with them, you could catch 100 rudd and hour on maggot if you were that way inclined.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Roach without doubt - almost all the waters I fished as a kid were full of them - usually stunted
Lots of nets of silvers more recently - many of which will have been predominantly roach - probably 100+ each time.

Simon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thought this was my old thread popping up again!

As at the time it’s still roach by a mile. Perch definitely second again. Probably now bleak that may have unfortunately overtaken bream and dace. Then rudd and carp I would say.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Minnows, definitely minnows.

I've always wondered how you would go about catching a minnow, is it like a size 32 hook and 1oz hooklength with a single pinkie as bait? Or am i thinking of stickleback? :unsure:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've always wondered how you would go about catching a minnow, is it like a size 32 hook and 1oz hooklength with a single pinkie as bait? Or am i thinking of stickleback?

Think you are thinking of stickleback. A full grown minnow will flipping attach themselves to a size 14 with a triple maggot no problem! Can’t stand them give me a bleak over them any day and that’s saying something 😂

Flathead

Site Supporter
Caught plenty of minnows on hooks up to size 16 or more....if they are there you will catch them

Stufish

I've always wondered how you would go about catching a minnow, is it like a size 32 hook and 1oz hooklength with a single pinkie as bait? Or am i thinking of stickleback? :unsure:
Two weeks ago I took the grandsons down the Derwent and they caught their first fish (minnows) on two metres of whip, 3lb line and a size 18. My dad took me down there to catch my first fish 52 years ago and I took my son down there to catch his first fish 25 years ago, you could say minnows run in our family. 😁😁

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I've had minnows on a 16 hook and triple maggot somehow hooked in the mouth, needless to say I don't even bother putting them in keepnet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I've had minnows on a 16 hook and triple maggot somehow hooked in the mouth, needless to say I don't even bother putting them in keepnet.
Think they’d go through the holes if you did!

Thankfully the little blighters are rare on the waters I mostly fish . Only ever caught one on the Thames, none from the Ouse or Avon and only a few from the itchen. Right pain on other places though!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The other week, I had a gudgeon on a size 16 hook, big lump of paste & size 18-20 Drennan bungee.

Sam Vimes

Minnows aren't fussy. I use often big size 12 hooks and large bunches of maggots in an effort to avoid them. The only thing that happens is that I don't hook quite as many as when using smaller hooks. Sticklebacks are a different kettle of fish. I've had very few over the years. The few I've had have been caught on pinkies and squatts on hook sizes from 22-26.

Robwooly

Has to be roach, when you think about it they must be one of the most common creatures (not including insects) to live in the UK. I was thinking about my local canal which is chock full of gudgeon thrying to work out how many live in a ten mile stretch - thousands of them, can't get through them somedays yet there's more roach there, the lake round the corner - roach, ponds, reservoirs, drains, slow sorry looking urban rivers, big rivers full of boats, natural rivers - roach and loads of them. Tidal stretches too, Even carp puddles have more roach than carp. From the lochs of Scotland to the Southernmost extremities they are found in huge numbers, Also you can get a specimen in any area of the UK and there's not many species that can apply to. Only place they don't seem to show is fast upland rivers and certain trouty beats .

A doff of the old red hat to the mighty redfin they certainly brighten up any catch for me

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
yep - roach by a distance
followed by dace
and then chub

If it was weight rather than numbers then chub might well be quite close, even though I spent ten years match fishing with hardly any chub weights from 2005 to 2015

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Roach followed closely by perch I would have thought. Ive caught millions of them. Literally.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back when I used to fish canals week in week out, Roach weren't that common, I mean they'd feature quite high in a list of species I've caught as there's usually a few in most waters, but it was Gudgeon that made up the weights. That's why I say Gudgeon.