Species you’ve caught most of

Nicky Dodds

Roach, perch, bream, carp, chub, eels, barbel, gudgeon, tench, in that order. Although chub/eels could go either way. All other species impossible to call.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
roach perch skimmers in past gudgeon and small chub from trent eels and Tommy ruffe from river witham rainbow trout using bait

Deejay8

Site Supporter
In descending order Roach, Rudd, Roach/rudd hybrids, Carp, Dace, Tench, Perch, Bream, Eels, Grayling, Crucians, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Goldfish, Minnows, Gudgeon.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bit envious of Rudd. They are one of the rarest species I have caught. Never caught a Grayling and only about one or two Trout.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I don't catch many rudd anymore at all. They're in maybe half the commercials around here but the only really local decent one is now syndicate and the other decent one fishing wise is a bit of a trek and not the nicest place. The only Rudd I catch locally these days are occasional captures from my local lake, it used to have a good head of them but now they've declined to like a couple a year capture whilst the roach and perch populations have grown. Only Rudd I caught in any numbers last year were out the Waveney.

Grayling and trout are very easy on bait when you find them. All mine have come out the Itchen and Wye.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Brown trout might be mine. Been catching them since I was a lad but not sure if carp will have caught them up or catching them up

Dusty

Site Supporter
I would probably say the following in order

Roach
Perch
Carp
Bream
Rudd
Tench
Crucian carp
Chub
Dace
Barbel
Goldfish
Pike
Eels
Grayling
Brown Trout

Deejay8

Site Supporter
In southern England rudd of 2 to 4 oz used to be found in huge numbers in many ponds. I have often had a fish a cast while "tiddler bashing". In one pond I fished they had hybridized with the roach and I could catch hundreds of either small roach, rudd or hybrids. Occasionally I caught a rudd of 8oz up my pb of12oz and they were beautiful golden fish. I would love to catch a bigger one.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think because they aren’t widespread naturally (not counting commercials where they tend to be stunted say 8oz max) rudd are one of the hardest fish to catch to a decent size unless you live in one of their strongholds. I’ve only ever caught one pound plus rudd and that was about 12 years ago. I can’t remember the last one I had of even 10oz, would be a couple years or so ago at least.

feldri

Site Supporter
Roach skimmers and Rudd on my local canal. Roach, skimmers, Perch and Bream on local claypit.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Used to catch quite a few gudgeon but they’ve gone a bit sparse in the last couple years. Maybe had 10 tops last year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not sure, used to get a couple a session out the Thames but only had a couple out of it across like 10 sessions on it last year. Then had if I recall half a dozen or so in a couple days out of the Waveney but that was it for the year.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was wondering if they are in decline at all?

Seems to be that way from my experience of the Staffs/Worcs canal. We used to fish junior club matches at Swindon and Womborne and 5lb of Gudgeon was needed to win. Have not fished those particular stretches but the stretch at Caunsall is mostly Perch now. Can easily do 10lb of Perch now but not many Gudgeon to be found. I expect there might still be some in the Birmingham Canal network we used to fish, but a lot of those places I wouldn't fish on my own now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not certain about gudgeon but think Ruffe are definitely in decline. They were never more than an occasional capture for me but I haven’t caught one in about 3 years now.

Same can’t be said for the third mini species the dreaded bleak. Think you could walk across them on some parts of the Thames there’s that many of them! Don’t mind a couple dozen of them in a mixed bag but when you find them in plague proportions they’re a bit of a nightmare.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Made for great matches as although 5lb does not sound a lot that might be 70 fish worked across 3 lines.