Species you’ve caught most of

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was reading an article in the anglers mail about how many fish you have in your peg and it somehow got me thinking about which coarse species I’ve caught most of over the years.

Roach and Perch are easily first and second as they are the first and second most populus fish in my local lake that I’ve fished from day one plus there are a lot of them in just about every in other lake or river or canal so it’s very rare I don’t catch at least a few of them often a lot more. I must have had many thousands more of them than anything else let alone how many thousands in total.

After that it gets more tricky to figure out. I’d guess bream would probably be next as I’ve caught them since pretty much day one and they are in good numbers in most waters. Dace would be next as they are in good numbers in most rivers so they’ve probably overtaken Rudd which I used to catch a lot but rarely do these days. They might even have been taken over by bleak of which there are ridiculous amounts in loads of rivers. With all those species I’d have had many thousands again.

After that I guess it would be carp as they are pretty unavoidable in lakes so probably in the high hundreds even though I don’t get many these days. Then probably chub would be well into the hundreds.

After that the numbers would drop a lot. Probably not had much more than 200 gudgeon or much more than 100 brown trout or grayling, probably less than 50 of each of tench, F1s and crucians and less than 25 barbel or Ruffe. I doubt I’ve actually landed even 10 pike and have probably only had similar numbers of ide and salmon.

How about you guys? Probably being sad (well definitely on the numbers front) but I thought at least listing the species was an interesting thing to think about, desperate times and all that ;)

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Was roach when I fished rivers. Made a point of fishing for them, hemp/tares etc as there were others better at catching bream. Surprising how many matches I won with the old red fin. Since, fishing ponds it is carp in all their forms but I do fish paste mainly

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back in the day I was a Gudgeon angler on canals so they would have featured quite highly. Nowadays it has to be Carp.

fasteddy

In total numbers, would have to roach, but last 2 or 3 years, have caught far more skimmers than anything else, that's on rivers.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Little uns, irrespective of species, I have caught Bonsai tench, carp, bream........you name it. The big uns always buggered off when I got there:cry:

jimmcd

Up to the mid 80s, it was rudd for me. Since then roach have taken over. I still catch rudd but I never seem to find them over 2oz these days. Roach seem to have pushed them aside. Both beautiful fish in their own ways

Sam Vimes

My initial thought was "grayling", then I remembered the hordes of minnows I catch when fishing for them in all but the coldest conditions. In the summer, even the dace might be prolific enough to give the grayling a run for their money.

MarkW

In the 70s roach and dace in equal proportions, later a lot of rudd but roach dominate what I catch nowadays.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
in last 2 years easily carp.

when i was a kid it was gudgeon, roach and other tiddlers on the canal.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
In the 90s roach, skimmers, and bream on rivers and lakes with the occasional pike through to around 2012 (one 23lb carp). From then on It has been mostly F1s and match sized carp to around 15lb on commercials. In the last year or so I've started fishing for bream again on natural waters

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m not surprised to see roach feature highly. They are lovely fish that are plentiful just about everywhere after all.

It’s interesting that lots of people have progressed to carp as I’ve gone the other way since I all but stopped fishing commercials. Never caught loads of them but would have sessions on commercials where I might get a dozen, maybe two dozen on the good day but these days I doubt I get a dozen a year lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I go Chub fishing, 10 fish is a very good session. And I’ve only been doing that for a year.

Bream fishing I can only do for a few months of a year when the lake’s open and again have only started doing that again this year. I’d love a good Silvers spot on a river but it will be a challenge to find for me.

Likewise I’d love to go back to fishing canals as often as I did before but I want a stretch with Roach, Gudgeon, Skimmers and Chub and not mostly Perch, and again boat traffic puts a halt to that for most of the year. There is actually a very good stretch near me behind a commercial but they lock the gates when they close the cafe which is early except in Summer and you could get trapped on the Canal if they don't come looking for you. Very annoying.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You should be able to find silvers anywhere that you got at least a couple feet of water that’s not really fast

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I've asked this before and got a good answer that the Middle Severn is fine for what I'm looking for. Now it's just a case of me making the effort to find a decent peg and actually do it and I'll be surprised at what's in there.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Bleak literally 1000s of them building weights in Severn contests and now whip a few out for Zander bait.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Up till a few years ago it would have been a toss up between roach and dace but since the advent of commercial fisheries then possibly carp could give them a run as a good day on a commie can see you land a good few carp, but then again when I fish commies I often try for the roach as there can be some quality roach in commies that just don't get fished for .....so I would have to go for roach....then after that it's probably still dace then it's a toss up between carp ( if you count crucians), chub, gudgeon, perch and rudd