Speci Pellet waggler on rivers

fredradac

Site Supporter
This is a method that I keep meaning to try on the Ribble so if we are allowed back before the end of the Summer maybe I will.
My question is this which type/brand of pellets would you recommend both for feeding and hookbait?
I would intuitively have gone for halibut pellets as per my feeder fishing but I have just been watching a video by a well known river angler who was really clobbering Wye chub n barbel on speci waggler. He advised Bait Tech coarse pellets because he said they were lighter than halibuts and therefore better for both requirements. Made sense to me but I then noticed that he is sponsored by said company!
Thanks in advance for any unbiased advice.

Lcn

Me and a mate were absolutely battering dace on 4mm coarse pellets when we ran out of maggot using a standard stick on the ribble last season and they were a consistently bigger size than what we had on maggot . Strangely we never had any chub or barbel doing that , maybe too small a pellet . I will be doing it again with 8mm’s when we get out again and will be trying a mix of coarse , halibuts and robin reds to see if that makes a difference. Can’t see why it won’t work because halibuts and robin reds catch plenty of barbel and chub on the ribble

fredradac

Site Supporter
Me and a mate were absolutely battering dace on 4mm coarse pellets when we ran out of maggot using a standard stick on the ribble last season and they were a consistently bigger size than what we had on maggot . Strangely we never had any chub or barbel doing that , maybe too small a pellet . I will be doing it again with 8mm’s when we get out again and will be trying a mix of coarse , halibuts and robin reds to see if that makes a difference. Can’t see why it won’t work because halibuts and robin reds catch plenty of barbel and chub on the ribble
Thanks for taking the time to reply. On the video the logic was halibut pellets are heavier than coarse pellets so feeding them wouldn't draw fish from as wide an area. Using them as bait, banded, you are more likely to snag up when dragging line on the bottom which, as I understand it , is the basis of this speci waggler method. Digression - the Ribble dace fishing has been brilliant in recent years hasn't it?

Lcn

Thanks for taking the time to reply. On the video the logic was halibut pellets are heavier than coarse pellets so feeding them wouldn't draw fish from as wide an area. Using them as bait, banded, you are more likely to snag up when dragging line on the bottom which, as I understand it , is the basis of this speci waggler method. Digression - the Ribble dace fishing has been brilliant in recent years hasn't it?
Is it the Dave Harrell vid . I saw one with him and he was saying something like that about using coarse pellet . It makes sense but I still don’t think it would do any harm to mix a few halibuts and rr’s in the feed aswell . We may have just been unlucky when we did it but neither of us hooked a chub on the coarse pellets but we did have some chublets on maggot before we ran out .
You’re right about the dace on there it’s brilliant , some nice roach aswell . Took a couple of mates down stickfloat fishing on one of the Albert stretches last season and they absolutely loved it , couldn’t believe how many we were catching and how fast . The Calder is also on fire too .

fredradac

Site Supporter
Absolutely correct, it was the Dave Harrell video. I agree about the roach although I don't think they are as wide spread as the dace. I'm also intrigued by you mentioning the Calder. My club does have a stretch on there but I've never got round to trying it.
Right we just need an "exit strategy" from this lockdown!

Lcn

You’re right they are not as wide spread as the dace but there’s some absolute crackers , not had any bigger ones myself but I know of some 2lb+ fish to some of the lads who go in the shop . If I remember right your stretch of the Calder is above Whalley round where what used to be known as the bread farm is , never fished that stretch so don’t know it fishes like but they must be there , plenty of nice grayling in the Calder aswell . I fish from the abbey down to billington and it’s lifting with fish , it really is a gem . If you go on YouTube Alan Barnes did a whip video for cadence vid on there and Gary Williams has done a few vids on there aswell

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Agree on the coarse pellet and for the reason Dave gives in his video. Don't have to be bait tech of course and skrettings as cheap as you can get them are fine, 6mm work for me on this tactic. If it helps @fredradac take a look at the float and specifically waggler section of my Barbel guide.

The halibuts in 1-4mm and any other type of that pellet is fine for your feed to run your float over, just include a few of your hookbait offerings in the feed. Depending on depth, baitdropping some of those mixed pellets with hemp helps, but do give the fish half hour or an hour or so from baiting before you start.

Careful on how much you bait drop, i use a smallish one then adopt an easing the way in policy and can always repeat mid session if needed. This feeding and judging it so as not to under feed or cause the fish to get preoccupied on having over fed is key, as is getting your depth just right to match the pace of your hookbait running through to the current. On that theme too, study the current and don't assume it always runs straight, it can come or go across, if not matched to this or the pace (by dragging bottom to slow it down) it can be very difficult to get a touch.

Then catapult in 3-4 of your hookbait pellets upstream for each run, or every other run, depending on response. Its a great way of Barbel and Chub fishing. You should feel knackered after the session, if you are, then you have worked as hard as you need to, but yet also could be well rewarded.

Any questions go for it (y)

Last edited:

fredradac

Site Supporter
Thank you Northantslad for such a thorough answer. The swims I have in mind to try don't lend themselves to using a bait dropper but your feeding suggestions make sense. I don't know if you are familiar with the Ribble but in 60+ years of fishing it I've always struggled to find swims where the current runs straight!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not a problem, initial feed by catty then, judging how far up given depth, flow. Have read about the Ribble, but that's about it. The answer reflects how that way of doing it for me is the best and is a fantastic way of fishing. If you can find a glide about 5-6ft minimum depth would start there first. Water wants to be a brisk walking pace, then slow your float down to just less than the flow. Shotting is simple, 75-85% of weight with SSGs round the float, then a no6 or 4 max a foot from the hook. The floats DH had made are great for this in terms of their bouyancy, to give you an idea, for the Severn and Trent where i have used them successfully, in normal flow and in that depth a 4-5 ssg speci waggler works well, giving you around 1g per foot.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Its worth mentioning this too. You can use the same float with huge pieces of bread and luncheon meat just roaming the river. Nothing in the way of shot down the line, maybe a single number 4 or two number 8s, big hooks. It's fished over depth maybe a foot, dragging the meat or big bunch of maggots. I've had a number of decent barbel on the Truncheon waggler, maybe I can "Boss the swim" better with it, but it has worked well for me?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Yes, the truncheons in that range (tapered as the name suggests) can come in the bigger sizes and are tapered to enable a sensible weighting for the size of float given their length. The above can be done on the stick in similar depths too with the balsa missiles, but better when wading to be in line with the run.