Spawny git?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Is a name a fellow angler called me the other night after a big Tench, 2nd cast fishing flake on a size 8 and a 1/4 oz free running bomb.
Give him his due, he apologised 40 mins or so later and admitted I ain’t to bad an angler!
After a chat he pointed out I am always doing something different, fishing different methods and baits targeting different species or fettling with rigs and paying attention or studying the water.
Do so had a good old think and you know what? I haven’t blanked this year, in fact Tench and Crucian wise at our club I have had a blinding season.

In approx 5 hours I now feel Having upset the apple cart I may be reporting a blank this evening.
It’s hot, windless and water levels are dropping faster than cabinet members.

How are you perceived or how would you like to be perceived by your fellow clubmen?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Was chatting to my mate Burt at the park just now. He’s 84 so probably old enough to remember the angler he quotes. But something about if you haven’t blanked you haven’t learned anything. Dick walker maybe. Fits in with how many times I blank but he also reckons people only ever post on Facebook when they catch anything. Rightly or wrongly I report all my days good or bad. Fits in with my motto of constant improvement. I’d call myself an improver.

Robwooly

After a chat he pointed out I am always doing something different, fishing different methods and baits targeting different species or fettling with rigs and paying attention or studying the water.
Given the many attributes he has complimented you about I would suggest he is stalking you :unsure:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Being retired means you can pick and choose times so I rarely blank, also I usually have some maggots to at least get a tiddler
or two. Anyway a blank is not the end of the world.

Total

Site Supporter
@rudd ......I seriously wouldn't worry about it...I've been called worse...:LOL:.....Let your fishing do the talking, sod 'em....;)(y)

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Being retired means you can pick and choose times so I rarely blank, also I usually have some maggots to at least get a tiddler
or two. Anyway a blank is not the end of the world.
Hi PG. I've just started visiting new venues with my barrow and I've blanked first time out on the two so far (except for the maggot tempters). Second time around I made up for that. I always buy maggots the day before I go just in case I get that under- achievement feeling during a session.:)

Lakeland Dog

Hi All,
Fished against one of my closest mates today at a club water, only 2 of us in the golden nugget challenge!! He battered me! 90lb to my 32. His first time on the venue. He is a Spawny git for sure.. My head is low. 3 - 2 to him now. One canal, one river, and Boddington to go. Neither of us fish matches at all now, yet it is still a contest, strange...

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Back in my club match fishing days I had a bit of a reputation with the draw bag and flyer pegs when we fished away matches - so much so that I stopped putting my hand in and would let random people draw for me with the same streak of luck

Not saying I always won in those pegs because I could fluff up a flyer as well as the next angler but it gave me a good head start many a time

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hi PG. I've just started visiting new venues with my barrow and I've blanked first time out on the two so far (except for the maggot tempters). Second time around I made up for that. I always buy maggots the day before I go just in case I get that under- achievement feeling during a session.:)
Watcha cobweb, I would not want to be without maggots but the one bait I really would not want to be without is corn skin,
on a sixteen it it comes up trumps time after time.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Watcha cobweb, I would not want to be without maggots but the one bait I really would not want to be without is corn skin,
on a sixteen it it comes up trumps time after time.
G'day! I'll keep that tip in the bank if that's ok with you. Corn yes but the skin? Not tried that yet, but that's about to change - thanks

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Only me on the water last night.
Fixed 3aa Drennan insert waggler.
Bulk round float, 3x no 5 down to hooklength. B911 to 4lb hooklength.
11ft Drennan puddle chucked with an well used Shimano aero match reel that holds 6lb sensor.
4 1/2 foot of water at end of some pads.
Pinched on breadflake as forgot punches!

Beautiful evening, feet up relaxing, ruined by two 6lb ish Tench causing me some effort to land 🤣 also had several nice Roach and Rudd.