Spawning? stupidity? suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brute1981

I was float fishing in the margins of a club lake the other day, the float dipped under and I struck into a fish, after a decent scrap I slipped the landing net under not one but two Tench (both about the 3lb mark), the second fish had followed the first fish into the landing net on it's own free will.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

At first I thought they might of been spawning but then I wouldn't of thought they would of been feeding?

If they were indeed spawning I'd like to think the second fish (I'm guessing a male) at least managed to 'seal the deal' after I'd put them both back [:D]

Last edited:

mocnscott

finally a winner
I've never heard of anything like that, you sure they weren't siamese twin tench?

I wish things like that happened to me in matches.

Scott

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Only time I've had two fish in my landing net one has tried to eat the other !

Col7777

You can tell Male from Female easily with Tench, the male has 2 distinctive bumps near the anal fin, catch them again and have a look. [:)]

But, I've never heard of that before though I must admit, pity it wasn't a threesome, now there's a thought.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had it happen to me on a match at Rolfs Lake, where a second Carp followed the hooked one into the landing net.[:D]

0lly

Had it happen on a lake local to me afew years ago. After hooking a carp and playing it for 10mins on light gear i finally got it in the net. To my suprised i had hooked a carp about 5lb and one of 3lb had followed it straight into the net!

pham

Had it happen early last season on a local club water! 33Ib of fish, lol, 2 double figure carp! I almost jumped out me skin, the second fish came out of no where!

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Originally posted by Peter

I've had it happen to me on a match at Rolfs Lake, where a second Carp followed the hooked one into the landing net.[:D]

Er,hope you didn't weigh in your 'free'one Peter.[;)]

Brute1981

Originally posted by Col7777

You can tell Male from Female easily with Tench, the male has 2 distinctive bumps near the anal fin, catch them again and have a look.

Yeah, I should of checked but I was too shocked to even think about it.

It didn't exactly put up a great scrap but the second fish came out of nowhere, I didn't notice it at all during the fight and it was only after it flopped into the net did I see it for the first time.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Donfish

Er,hope you didn't weigh in your 'free'one Peter.[;)]

No mate, to many people watching.[:p][:D][:D][:D]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by bream fisherman

Originally posted by ChrisLeonard

Why wouldnt you weigh the 'follower' in??

yeah. you still caught it at the end of the day. I'd have weighed it in.

Not on I'm afraid, it's no different to scooping a fish from the margins with your landing net, you haven't caught it by fair angling and IMO anyone caught trying to weigh such a fish in during a match should be disqualified.

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by bream fisherman

Originally posted by ChrisLeonard

Why wouldnt you weigh the 'follower' in??

yeah. you still caught it at the end of the day. I'd have weighed it in.

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but these comments got me thinking:

Is it morally right to weigh in a fish that hasn't been caught fairly, ie. hooked in the mouth, wether you can "get away with it" or not?

And what about foul-hooked fish, should you weigh those in as well?

Everybody will have their own opinion, so I suppose it all comes down to your own conscience and sense of "fair play".......

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Len,
A scooped fish most definately shouldn't be weighed, it hasn't been caught by angling.
Regarding foul hookers I would say that provided that the angler hasn't set out to deliberately foul hook the fish, and had played and landed the fish then it is OK to weigh it in.

Anyone that tries to deliberately foul hook fish should be disqualified for cheating.[:(!]

slf

NUFC

Len,
A scooped fish most definately shouldn't be weighed, it hasn't been caught by angling.
Regarding foul hookers I would say that provided that the angler hasn't set out to deliberately foul hook the fish, and had played and landed the fish then it is OK to weigh it in.

Anyone that tries to deliberately foul hook fish should be disqualified for cheating.[:(!]

agree will peter, only hooked fish, we all know in a tight match it can come down to one fish and what happens if someone has just scooped it

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter

Len,

I'm in total agreement with you Peter, my thoughts exactly. [:T]

ChrisLeonard

Say that you hook a 3lb carp and while landing it a 10lber follows it into the net... the hook comes out of the smaller fish while its in the net. Are you telling me 99% of anglers would pop the 10lber back and only place the 3lber in your keep net??!!! Not going to happen im afraid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.