Spare Spool Annoyance

St3ph1066

Hi All,

1st post so just saying Hello, and having a groan about Spare Spools.

So i have a couple of Drennan Reels, the FD4000, the Series 7 9-40 and the Red Range 6-40, now let me just say, what a pain i am having trying to source spare spools for these reels.
Don't get me wrong the reels themselves are good reels, the thing that annoys me about them the most is .... all the spools supplied with them are all different diameter spools, really annoying when you want to spool up with 100m spools and they don't fill the spool.
Anyhow, i thought i had sourced some, but they are out of stock, except for 1 size that i already have 2 of, so i thought to myself. I'll treat myself to a new reel.

Bought the Preston Inertia 320 reel, nice reel, but it only has one spool supplied with it, so i decided to buy another spool for it £17.99p ....

I miss the days of you bought a reel, it had a spare spool and they were all the same size.

Anyway, hope you are all well, and i am always trying to learn new things with regards to fishing.

richox12

Most people want spare spools for their reels so they can put on different lines, not the same. Hence they are all slightly different depths. But all still shallow and way shallower than the majority. Red Range is a current reel and spools should be readily available. Be amazed if Drennan didn't have any at all.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Hi All,

1st post so just saying Hello, and having a groan about Spare Spools.

So i have a couple of Drennan Reels, the FD4000, the Series 7 9-40 and the Red Range 6-40, now let me just say, what a pain i am having trying to source spare spools for these reels.
Don't get me wrong the reels themselves are good reels, the thing that annoys me about them the most is .... all the spools supplied with them are all different diameter spools, really annoying when you want to spool up with 100m spools and they don't fill the spool.
Anyhow, i thought i had sourced some, but they are out of stock, except for 1 size that i already have 2 of, so i thought to myself. I'll treat myself to a new reel.

Bought the Preston Inertia 320 reel, nice reel, but it only has one spool supplied with it, so i decided to buy another spool for it £17.99p ....

I miss the days of you bought a reel, it had a spare spool and they were all the same size.

Anyway, hope you are all well, and i am always trying to learn new things with regards to fishing.
Hello mate, lööking at your name you must be Russian, welcome

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
It's years since I stopped buying the angling weeklies (weekly?), but I do miss the free spools of rubbish line they often gave away on the cover.
Always came in handy for backing and building up a spool to the right level.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome.

It always surprises me when I read of reels being sold with one spool. As you will discover I am the Scrooge of the forum. Hence the reels I use cost me under £10*. They always have two spools. Why more expensive reels come with only one I don't know. Personally I would never buy a reel with only one spool no matter how good or expensive the reel or how much I wanted it.

Very few reels have spools that take 100m of line to fill. Everyone has to bulk out the spool with cheap line so that the last 100yds/m of useable line fills the spool. I just bought 1000m of cheap 0.25mm line from eBay. But this is where not having a spare spool becomes a pain.

Normally you would load the 100m of line first then bulk line to fill the spool then with a fresh, empty, spoll on the reel reverse the lay of the lines leaving the 100m on top.

* Price has risen a bit since I last bought a reel.

Last edited:

nutmeg

Site Supporter
The drennan fd reels l have all came with 3 spools and they are all shallow.
No point in buying 100mtr spools as 150 and 300mtr spools are not that much dearer.
Also thought the drennan red reels have shallow spool, only seen them in shops, and wasnt that impressed as they didnt seem to move that freely on the spindle.

richox12

But way better than those massively deep spools which take masses of backing or waste 100's of m of line etc. At least with theirs you can comfortably get away with putting on 100m of a line a bit thicker or a bit thinner

stikflote

Site Supporter
I wouldnt buy a Drennan reel, they look and feel very cheap
look very poor black plastic

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think the trend for carrying rods ready made up has reduced the need for spare spools as a rod now stays in a ready rod case with the reel attached and line threaded through the rings all of its life . I know this isn't always the case however I do know people that never carry a reel with them unless it is already attached to a rod and this trend is becoming more and more prevalent. Personanlly even if I am taking rods with me in a ready rod bags I always have a spare reel with a spare spool in my bag and if you add to that, that I never carry 3 piece rods made up then I will generally have a case containing 4 reels and spare spools in my carryall, however I think people like me are slowly becoming the exception rather than the rule hence manufacturers not needing to supply spare spools

jimmcd

Any new reel I get I ask myself “does it have a spare spool or can I get one easily?” - and I buy a lot of reels. I have a handful of vintage Daiwa reels I use regularly & scoured the bay for spare spools. I usually had to buy the reel in order to get the spool. Still I’ve enough spare parts to see me out now I hope. It’s a bit like cameras on the ‘bay, sometimes an attached lens is worth more than the body, sometimes the seller thinks so too & splits them into two sales. I hope that never happens with reels

rudd

Site Supporter
Any new reel I get I ask myself “does it have a spare spool or can I get one easily?” - and I buy a lot of reels. I have a handful of vintage Daiwa reels I use regularly & scoured the bay for spare spools. I usually had to buy the reel in order to get the spool. Still I’ve enough spare parts to see me out now I hope. It’s a bit like cameras on the ‘bay, sometimes an attached lens is worth more than the body, sometimes the seller thinks so too & splits them into two sales. I hope that never happens with reels
You don’t get much extra on the bay if you have a spare spool with reel.
You can make a few quid more by selling spare spools separately.

Reuben

Site Supporter
You don’t get much extra on the bay if you have a spare spool with reel.
You can make a few quid more by selling spare spools separately.
Aye you’re right. Picked up a Shim Exage 2500 at a boot sale the other week & will need a spare spool - a few on EBay.

rudd

Site Supporter
Aye you’re right. Picked up a Shim Exage 2500 at a boot sale the other week & will need a spare spool - a few on EBay.
Only own one exage, also a 2500 (with a spare spool 😉)