Spanky's World Cup Game

nejohn

Site Supporter
Latest tables:

1669237098931.png

1669237124625.png

Current goal rate is 2.75 per game, which would mean 176 goals if the current rate continues
I hope so as my calculations were based on 2.75 goals per game

Robwooly

My prediction of the lowest scoring WC ever is coming to the fore, genius or what? Just need the next twenty games to end 0-0 and it's bang on schedule, oh yeah! ;)

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
My prediction of the lowest scoring WC ever is coming to the fore, genius or what? Just need the next twenty games to end 0-0 and it's bang on schedule, oh yeah! ;)
If it wasn't for the 6-2 and 7-0 games then we would be looking at a very low scoring competition. If both had been 2-0 instead we'd be average 1.83 goals per game giving a prediction of 117 goals. So anything is possible, a few more 0-0 and 1-0 scores and the average could drop quite quickly.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
The goals will slow up for the second set of group games and beyond, bit more cagey, more at stake.
Yes, I would expect so too.

We've had a lot of nil-nil games so far and not many high scoring matches. But there are still a few potential blow outs to come in the group stages.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Ok, so one game played by everyone - here is the latest table with an estimated goal score as well (whoop).

1669323477563.png

Current leader is @ATTICUS FINCH but it's very tight up there... and my daft cat is in third place. I guess most of use should be embarrassed about that.

And for our losers league:

1669323546198.png

It would be really embarrassing if anyone losing selection outscored their main team. I mean, really embarrassing.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Am I allowed to be confused?
Why are goals scored added to the total twice?
And it says I've scored 14 when I've only got six
I've probably missed something obvious

Simon

dave the fish

Site Supporter
@Simon R The extra points are the bonus points for predicting the total number of goals in the tournament.
41 goals scored so far so based on the average goals per game that would be 164 in total. You predicted 180 so that would give you 30 minus 16 bonus points =14.

Your bonus points will change depending on the number of goals scored every day.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
@Simon R It's just as explained above, but if it's not clear let me know. The first four score columns show the points scored by your teams, the fifth is how close you are to the total goals scored. At the moment it's based on the current run rate scaled up to 64 matches, this figure will change, but I've included it now for a bit of fun.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
At this moment in time the optimum team selection would have been:
Spain (17)
Switzerland (11)
Japan (12)
Saudi (22)

Surprisingly Switzerland and Japan were the only teams in their respective pots to record a win in the first round.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
im tied first in one league so im more than happy with that lmao

maybe you should get your cat to predict each game like the octopus??? :unsure: lets see just how good your cat is lol

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
im tied first in one league so im more than happy with that lmao

maybe you should get your cat to predict each game like the octopus??? :unsure: lets see just how good your cat is lol
Yes, good idea.

But how would it work? Bear in mind the fattus cattus (to use her Latin name) sleeps almost all day.

If you think England will win, stay asleep for 6 hours, for a draw sleep for more than 6 hours, for a USA win pretend to want to go outside, but once I get up change your mind.

Frankly, I'm not sure my nerves could take it.