spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
anybody getting those anoying "Messenger Spams" [:(]

i have for the last few weeks (does your head in)[:(!]

you do a security check with your fire wall and it shows you are secure but still these Messenger adverts get through...[:(!][:(!][:(!]

i even disabled MSN, & still got them, some of them advertised programs you could buy "Block-messenger" "stopmessenger" (20-30)you can find a freebie on Download.com

then joyus-mungas,[:)] found this that tells how they get you...
and how to stop them...http://www.re-quest.net/computers/messenger-spam/

you can do a test through "command prompt" to see if you are protected...

if you're on a works network pc check with admin first before any changes, ( admin may use the messenger service to inform you of system shut downs etc)...

teepee.

Last edited:

MrsM

Hi Teepee
Most e-mail accounts have spam busters etc on them even bt if you still get spam with MSN then you need to set you mail to exclusive that way you only get mail from people in your address book if you run a program such as outlook,incredimail then on the tools they have block sender so that all mail you don't want gets sent straight to the deleted folder and all you need to do then is set it up to delete straight away when you exit .You really don'y need to buy Spam Eater etc just set your PC up as I said and Spam will be a thing of the past
Cheers

Maria
Datafile2.asp

Moderating the MODS

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Trust a woman to know about Spam...
and not just Fritters! [}:)]

Stu
Tyke-Avatar.jpg
***L.U.F.C.***
an14.gif

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hiya MrsM, nice to talk to the sensible one of the family,[:)]

Maria,
this is a new spam not what we get through e-mail or browser when surfing,

Messenger spam comes in through your IP address, must admit i never had this problem until i networked the pc upstairs to downstairs pc, which meant i had to allow NetBios which in effect gives an open port, but once messenger spam had found me even if i disabled NetBios it defaults to another port, (thats the bit that i could'nt work out)
drove me crackers,[:(!]

this new messenger spam does a sweep of IP addresses between certain numbers (for those of you that dont no what IP address is, its the address thats assigned to your pc when you log on to the internet)

you may not be getting this new spam yet! but may be worth you book marking the site from the earlier post,

anyone who wants to check if their pc is open to Messenger attack do the following test...You need to know your computer name e.g. (freds)

open MS DOS also known as "command prompt" and type the following..

NET SEND freds "test message" (then press enter)

if you get a grey box on your screen that says "test
message" you could be vunrable to messenger spam,
if when you've typed it, it says..An error while sending message to freds pc,
the message alias could not be found on the network, you are OK!

teepee.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
To save me lots of typing, take a look Here for the problem and the cure.

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA
Datafile3.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.