Spade end hooks, Are they worth the hassle?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
My results have definitely improved with ready tied as they fail a lot less than my tying lol
I didn't know there were such things as ready tied, until one of my lads at work told me about them. Once I started using spade end whips I threw away all my old eyed hooks (except for the big ones I used for lumps). I still have my size 20 & 22 hooks which I used so regularly. Happy days when I thought size 18s were far too big for float fishing!:) Now I'm starting to think that 14s are too small for a lot of the feeder sessions I've been having recently

Last edited:

davej1981

I always learnt to tie spades with a matchman hooktier and have never had a problem. I guess it all depends how much you want to use spades and whether or not you want to get the hang of it. If you really cant get the hang of it as suggested buy ready made. Personally i only tie my own more so i can not only used the exact hooks and line i have confidence in but the combinations are endless when you tie your own

OldTaff

Site Supporter
When I bought a spare recently the instructions have been tweaked to show a method of generating a hair rig loop whilst whipping too.

squimp

Site Supporter
If you look on youtube I think Roy Marlow has a vid on hand tying
That’s interesting. RM demonstrates what he calls a ‘snell’ knot.

I use a whipping knot so that the loose end is held by all the turns on the shank - rather than just the last one.

The whipping knot also has the advantage of being tie-able (!) on a fixed piece of line - so if you want to change a hook on an existing hooklink it is simple to do and you just lose a couple of inches of Hooklength.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I struggle putting small shot on the line but I make a decent job of tying spade end hooks by hand. I always make a horlicks of it if I use a hooktyer. Same with loops....I just can't get to grips with those loop tyers, no matter how often I watch the youtube video.

rudd

Site Supporter
AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!! I just watched a video of how to use a Drennan Hook Tier (the one I've used for close on 30 years, and have never had to replace!).... but it's really, really different to how I have always used it!

Not the best video of how to use tbh,.cant see line, no commentary, awful music, squared paper not a good back ground.
Can do a spade with drennan in about 7 seconds, pity it takes me five minutes to find glasses, line then get hook out of a packet and three more minutes to find hook after dropping!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Tie by hand. Couldn’t use a hook tier to save my life. Had a few goes and I do actually own one ( somewhere ) but, it never turns out well for me. 😩

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I just don't trust any spade end hook I have tied myself, so for small hooks (16 or smaller) it is pre tied and for anything bigger, eyed hook with a knotless knot with the hair trimmed.

buygoodtackle

I always tie by hand anything down to a 26 as I hate using a tier (just don't feel confident with the knot) and want to match the line to the situation

lp1886

Site Supporter
I thought the politically correct name was flat-end hooks! I do however have complete faith in them, so long as the line is coming off the front you shouldn’t have any problems. Modern hook tyers are a god send if you plan to do a large quantity.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I’ve been using spade end hooks since I was a boy. My eyes are not what they were but still manage to tie them absolutely fine & have found the Matchman hooktier to be easier to use than the Drennan

Sam Vimes

I very rarely use an eyed hook these days. I tend to use smaller baits directly hooked and rarely go bigger than a size 12. I don't like being dictated to by the limitations of what's available pre-tied. I was in my early teens when I started to tie my own. I did learn to tie by hand but generally found it a faff. For about ten years I used a Matchman. However, when I tried the Drennan, I preferred it and have been using it ever since. Once in a while, I will attempt to tie by hand just to see if I still can. As I still find it more difficult to do than using the Drennan, it's not something I persist with.

John Step

Site Supporter
If a clumsy s*d like me can tie spades on the bank with a hook tier anyone can. I rarely match fish so its usual for me to tie up as and when I need to when fishing.
I just loop to loop a hooklentgh then use the tension of the rod top to make a good job with a Matchman. Takes seconds.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
30 years ago I bought a Matchman Hooktier, and it took me minutes to learn how to use it. I still have the same hooktier. But can use the bloody thing now, after 24 years since I last used it? Not a chance. I've been watching videos, using the instructions andI just can't do it. Thankfully there are ready tied rigs for pole fishing now, so I've bought a selection of Guru ones. Life is too short to faff about.