Spade end hooks, Are they worth the hassle?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I love spade end hooks, I love how they look and I love how they present, But they're fast becoming more hassle than they're worth for me to tie. As I'm typing this I have an indentation on my finger which is extremely painful to type on - This is because I've been trying to tie spade end hooks for the past hour and I'm having to nib the hook as hard as I can to stop the loop pulling through. Now, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or I just have sausage fingers but my success rate is about 1/7 on smaller hooks (anything smaller than 16). It's becoming something of a joke and I'm basically just constantly swearing and having a meltdown trying to tie them.

This has been the case for about 10 years.

My last ditch effort; Whats the absolute, foolproof, easiest, non painful way to tie these f*cking things without using a tier, Which, ironically I never figured out how to use? Because at this point I'm down to just go 100% eyed. lol

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I love spade end hooks, I love how they look and I love how they present, But they're fast becoming more hassle than they're worth for me to tie. As I'm typing this I have an indentation on my finger which is extremely painful to type on - This is because I've been trying to tie spade end hooks for the past hour and I'm having to nib the hook as hard as I can to stop the loop pulling through. Now, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or I just have sausage fingers but my success rate is about 1/7 on smaller hooks (anything smaller than 16). It's becoming something of a joke and I'm basically just constantly swearing and having a meltdown trying to tie them.

This has been the case for about 10 years.

My last ditch effort; Whats the absolute, foolproof, easiest, non painful way to tie these f*cking things without using a tier, Which, ironically I never figured out how to use? Because at this point I'm down to just go 100% eyed. lol
Just get a hook tyer and learn how to do it ! Or buy ready tied to nylon , the ranges these days are excellent

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I feel that way about eyed hooks, never seem to get a nice presentation.

For spade I always used a Middy Matchman tyer - wouldn’t have a clue about tying without one - invest in one and have a play for a while, you won’t regret it

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!! I just watched a video of how to use a Drennan Hook Tier (the one I've used for close on 30 years, and have never had to replace!).... but it's really, really different to how I have always used it!

BoldBear

Bite the dust and learn how to use a hook tier it’s very very easy honestly.

If you are a little unsure of how to use one then just ask your tackle shop to show you how.

The key is to maintain tension/pull On the line as you turn it and don’t overlap the turns, and wet the knot before you tighten the knot.

Keith

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Hook Tiers, what a disaster they were for me last year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thinking it's pre-tied or eyed for me guys.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had a break from fishing for a long time but never forgot how to use a matchman hook tyer but wouldn't really know where to start tying spade end hooks by hand. Only time I use eyed hooks is for hair rigs.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I feel that way about eyed hooks, never seem to get a nice presentation.

For spade I always used a Middy Matchman tyer - wouldn’t have a clue about tying without one - invest in one and have a play for a while, you won’t regret it
Agreed. I don't mind so much on the rod but on the pole it just isn't right. I've always got spade ends tied but if I run out on the bank it's a pain.
Got a tier but I'm just disastrous with them to the point as to where practice didn't make perfect.. At all. May just have to give them another go though.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I just use ready tied saves the faff and they are far better than I could ever tie.
I use ready tied now too, but preferred tying my own in the days when I could. I thought DIY got me better results (likely wishful thinking)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I use ready tied now too, but preferred tying my own in the days when I could. I thought DIY got me better results (likely wishful thinking)
My results have definitely improved with ready tied as they fail a lot less than my tying lol

squimp

Site Supporter
I hand tie spades down to a 16 and then just buy the odd packet of smaller hooks to nylon as I use so few.

I used to use a tier - but have forgotten how. I guess I could re-learn if I needed to.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If the time came that I couldn't tie spades by hand (cant use a tyer, tried several and couldn't do it) then I would have no qualms about ready tied. The ones today are streets ahead of the ones from the 70's/80's/90's, and with the boxes available to keep them in, you could always put used ones back for another day.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I can, if necessary, tie a spade-end by hand - I used to be able to do any size but due to lack of practice a 16 is probably the smallest I'd attempt today.

Having said that I've used a Matchman hook-tyer ever since I started fishing - 40+ years ago - and would be lost without it.
I always think the sign of a good design is it's longevity and the design has barely changed since it was introduced - having said that the spade-end knot is fairly simple anyway and all the hook-tyer does really is hold the loop out of the way whilst you whip the line down the shank.

Simon

PS Just tried to hand-tie a 16, it took three attempts and the third one looks a bit pot-bellied :p