Space shuttle Columbia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie

mookie
I know its not fishing related, but as we have a few American maggotdrowners, just thought we could pass our condolances..to our friends across the big pond....

And to the crews family and friends.......may God help you through these sad times.....R.I.P Brave crew of the Columbia ...

MOOK.......

Lid

My deepest condolences too. Without this kind of human spirit, and our desire to push back the frontiers of the universe, we'd still be in the caves.

Let's hope it was not terrorism, especially with an Israeli on the mission. Seems a bit suspect when there's never been a problem on returning to Earth before.

Lid [:)]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can't believe what i've read [:(]

The biggest dream i have is to travel into space on board the shuttle, i even go into a room on paltalk where the guy has a live feed into the control room.

For the second time some of the bravest people & one of the most amazing machines on earth has been destroyed, my condolances to their families.

<edit>

For those who don't know whats happend..

Seven astronauts are feared dead after space shuttle Columbia apparently disintegrated over Texas.

Nasa lost contact with the shuttle as it re-entered the Earth's atmosphere, minutes before its scheduled landing.

Six Americans and Israel's first astronaut were on board. George W Bush is expected to make a statement shortly.

White House spokesman, Gordon Johndroe, said: "There is no information at this time that this was a terrorist incident. Obviously the investigation is just beginning, but that is the information we have now."

A senior US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said no threat had been made against the flight, and the shuttle was out of range of surface-to-air missiles.

The astronauts feared dead are Americans Rick Husband, 45, Pilot William McCool, 41, Michael Anderson, 43, Kalpana Chawla, 41, David Brown, 46, Laurel Clark, 41, and Israeli Ilan Ramon, 48.

The craft had been due to touch down in Florida at 1416 GMT, and was at an altitude of 200,700ft and travelling at 12,500mph when communication went silent.

There were reports of small explosions and smoke, and the shuttle is believed to have disintegrated over Texas. Debris has reportedly been sighted in Texas and the public have been warned not to touch it.

One witness, John Ferolito, 60, of north of Dallas, said: "I was getting ready to go out and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the house. I thought it was a sonic boom."

Columbia's crew had completed more than 80 scientific research experiments during their time in orbit.

(c) Copyright Ananova Ltd 2003, all rights reserved.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Last edited:

jonesr

Please add my condolances to other M/D's from over the "pond".
These things happen when this sort of risk is taken.It is hard to take in that "Columbia" was estimated to be flying at 12,000 + miles per hour!

Ron J

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
Being on the forefront of technology brings its obvious dangers, but without the courage of the people such as the crew of Columbia then the history of mans endeavour would not exist.

It is the pioneering spirit of the American people to find new frontiers from their earliest times of horse and wagon to the shuttle.

Sincere condolences to their families, you are in our thoughts.

Mick

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
To push the barriers sometimes demands the greatest sacrifices.
Unfortunatly these brave people have paid the ultimate price.

Sincere condolences to the families & friends of the Columbia crew.

Peter & Maria.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Latest I can find is Here. As of 1730 EST (or 22:30 / 10:30 PM UK time).

Newt Vail

Last edited:

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Ditto all the above comments, Tragic

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

chub

i would like to express my condolenses to all the americans on here [:(]

and would like to remind the sickos do not say any jokes about this terrible incident like were going around when the challenger exploded[:(!]

i love catching chub

Polepot

Poles
I would like to express my condolences to the families of these brave people.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Beebs

Unbelievable, I remember watching Columbia take off for the very first Shuttle mission when I was in primary school. Condolences to all.

darryl

I would like to offer my condolences to all of the family`s concerned in this tragic event.

you can not catch one sitting at home

Ian C

I have been captivated by space missions ever since watching the moon landings as a kid.

Some years ago at an astonomy club I attended I met a guy who was in charge of a mission to launch four satellites to study the sun (The Cluster project), he'd been heading the team for years. You could sense his enthusiasm for what he did! Imagine how he felt when the spacecraft carrying his satellites blew up 30 seconds after launch!

This though is in another league! There are human lives involved and I really feel for the families of those lost!

R.I.P. the crew of STS-107.

Ian C

martin.

Account Locked
we would like to add our condolances to the families &friends of the brave people who lost there lives in such a tragic way
martin,babs & sammy

Del-J

' Victor '
It's all been said before but I must add my condolences.

I just hope that this is the last such tragedy.

Derek.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
deepest sympathy to all accross the POND.....Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

chub

has anyone read todays sun and seen what that
abu hanza said i think he should be DEPORTED at once for what he said because we don't whant people like him in this country [:(!]

i love catching chub

Beebs

Then more fool to The Sun for reporting what this freak says. On the more reputable websites, there's no mention of what he's said. The Sun plays into his hands by giving him a platform to spread his words of hate across the nation. Take away his microphone and he immediately becomes silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.