Sowing seeds

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Inside a structure, even a mini greenhouse, you should be OK to sow now. Seeds are used to getting cold before germinating. And any frost will be long gone by the time the seedlings appear.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You can sow mate,it's only when they are tender that they are susceptible to temp changes and frost.

They were sown indoors in small trays (onto a windowsill) and then pricked out into the containers they are now in.
They have been out in the mini's for about a month now and for this time of year the trick is to sparingly water early in the morning and not open the mini again throughout the day
You will be amazed how warm the mini will keep even if it only has some weak sun on it.

In the greenhouse at the allotment we have had peas and sweetpeas growing on for over six weeks now,they are 6/8" long and will be going into the ground over the weekend.
Soil has been under straw and tarps for 5 months and is 6 degrees warmer than others that were not covered.

Spring onions and coriander sown outside

20210402_180153.jpg

emmaemma

Site Supporter
And is it the opinion that I don't need propagator lids in the mini greenhouse?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Buy the propagation lids from Wilkinson’s and they pretty cheap. And on warm days just remove them.There’s always the option of buying tiny plants online. From likes of Sutton seeds. 45 plants in tray about 5#3. And pot them on.
And is it the opinion that I don't need propagator lids in the mini greenhouse?
Always handy for nighttime temps as well

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I bought one of those thermometers last week and put it in last night and zipped the door up. It was reading 47 degrees this morning :eek:
Is it good practice to keep the door open when it is warm?
Should the greenhouse be sited in the sun or is it better with some shade?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Full sun but let air in throughout the day when it's warm.
We mostly grow chillis in ours in the Summer so we keep it more closed than open

62tucker

Site Supporter
I would say sun as can always chuck something other it to shade it.
Just a heads up. I got some sweet peas at lidl today. £2.99 for a 4 pack but each must have 15 individual plants in. So I be splitting them up into 2s or 3s into small pots. And nipping them out.
Ps normally sow sweet pea seeds in December but forgot

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
So far I've sown chillies, tomatoes and physalis and all are doing well.

In the past I've used rootriot cubes for my chillies (supposed to give them a head start and make planting on easy). But for the last few years I've gone back to compost in small pots and I cant say I've noticed any difference. Four seeds to a small pot makes them easy to split if they germinate with very low losses from potting on.

As an experiment I've just this afternoon sown some Drosera seeds (sundew carnivorous plants). Never grown them before, but fancied a challenge. Bit of a fiddle with special moss/perlite compost that has to be washed through with rainwater first, then some needed to go in the fridge and other in bright light. We shall see if anything comes up.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
So far I've sown chillies, tomatoes and physalis and all are doing well.

In the past I've used rootriot cubes for my chillies (supposed to give them a head start and make planting on easy). But for the last few years I've gone back to compost in small pots and I cant say I've noticed any difference. Four seeds to a small pot makes them easy to split if they germinate with very low losses from potting on.

As an experiment I've just this afternoon sown some Drosera seeds (sundew carnivorous plants). Never grown them before, but fancied a challenge. Bit of a fiddle with special moss/perlite compost that has to be washed through with rainwater first, then some needed to go in the fridge and other in bright light. We shall see if anything comes up.
I think I may have had a few seeds germinate. The seeds were tiny (like dust) so I wasn't expecting much of a shoot, but I currently have about 4 of these showing - little wider than a human hair and 6mm tall.

Very difficult to photograph, so apologies for the poor quality image.

1617969081051.png

Let's hope it's not a weed.