Sowing seeds

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I have decided to sow some flower seeds this year but I am a complete novice. I have a small mini PVC covered greenhouse and I am currently looking at getting some 15 cell insert trays and lids of which each cell is 65x63x52 deep. I intend putting one or 2 seeds in each cell filled with seed compost. There are instructions on each packet of seed that I can follow. I have read that a lot of seeds need covering to exclude the light until shoots appear but none of the seeds I have say this. The tray for the inserts can be with or without drainage holes. which would I need and why? Is it good to cover the seeds with vermiculite? do I need to use a propagator in the mini greenhouse? I know I can wait till it's warmer and plant them directly in the soil, but I intend to sow in the next week or two.

Are there any tips you can give me before I begin or have you any experience you can share?

balloon vine Cardiospermum halicacabum
morning glory ipomea heavenly blue
morning glory ipomea grandpa ott
morning glory ipomea quamoclit red
morning glory ipomea mina lobata
black eyed susan Thunbergia alata
cup & saucer vine Cobaea scandens
bell vine Rhodochiton atrosanguineum
nasturtium nasturtium salmon baby
nasturtium nasturtium jewel mixed
nasturtium nasturtium canary creeper
love lies bleeding Amaranthus
bells of Ireland mollucella

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I have decided to sow some flower seeds this year but I am a complete novice. I have a small mini PVC covered greenhouse and I am currently looking at getting some 15 cell insert trays and lids of which each cell is 65x63x52 deep. I intend putting one or 2 seeds in each cell filled with seed compost. There are instructions on each packet of seed that I can follow. I have read that a lot of seeds need covering to exclude the light until shoots appear but none of the seeds I have say this. The tray for the inserts can be with or without drainage holes. which would I need and why? Is it good to cover the seeds with vermiculite? do I need to use a propagator in the mini greenhouse? I know I can wait till it's warmer and plant them directly in the soil, but I intend to sow in the next week or two.

Are there any tips you can give me before I begin or have you any experience you can share?

Place them all in a fridge for a couple of days first and they will sprout quicker after sowing ,

62tucker

Site Supporter
Soak the nasturtium overnight to soften them a bit and just plant them in small pots.
I would say always have holes in pots or trays.
fine compost for seeds
Propagator lids help seeds germinate.
I sowed some last week and with them hot days I can see germination.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No need to exclude light, I never do.

Packet will tell you how deep to cover the seeds. I use a pencil to create a hole in the compost, drop the seed in then just gently cover with the pencil point. Tiny seeds may not need covering. No need for vermiculite.

No need for a propogator. Your mini greenhouse will get warm enough. I would go for trays with holes but you will need to water regularly. I place my seed trays in a tray of water so it soaks up from below as watering from above can disturb the seeds. Once shooted and rooted they can be watered as normal.

I use cell trays that fit into a seed tray, 24 cells to a tray.

Keep your left over seeds somewhere cool and dry and they should do next year as well. Last year I grew tomatoes from ten year old seed.

Enjoy growing your own, it's like catching fish on home made floats. More satisfaction than buying ready to plant out plants, and after the initial outlay, a lot cheaper.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Most seeds just want light, heat and water since that's how they grow in the wild. Unless the instructions say otherwise just spread them on compost, add a small layer of compost on top and you should be good to go.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
If your doing this regularly, rather than use cells or trays save your toilet roll tubes or any cardboard tube. Usually 1/2 a toilet roll is fine and when ready to plant out just pop the tube into the ground rather than disturbing the roots.

Here are some of mine in toilet roll and carpet tubes.

20210402_075056.jpg

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam

you like a bit of morning glory then, is there summat you need to tell us ?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
If your doing this regularly, rather than use cells or trays save your toilet roll tubes or any cardboard tube. Usually 1/2 a toilet roll is fine and when ready to plant out just pop the tube into the ground rather than disturbing the roots.

Here are some of mine in toilet roll and carpet tubes.

20210402_075056.jpg
Like the idea. I compost the toilet roll tubes plus other small cardboard items and paper from the shredder.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Rotate your seed trays on the shelves and front to back.
This will ensure that the trays all get to see the same about of light which will stop the plants from getting leggy as they force themselves to grow towards it.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I got a packet of wild flower seeds, I mixed them with compost and spread them over ground round our bungalow and left them alone. They are sprouting well and should provide some much needed colour to the area.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Sewed my butterfly garden last week and as per usual frosts are coming which will kill the lot, gotta find a way of covering them.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got some cornflower seeds from Lidl last year and best display of butterfly I ever had. Also got some buddleia plants. I just pulled some growing from between flagstone when out on a walk. And they grew no problem when replanted.
Tip. If you have a few. Prune at different times so flowers at different times as butterflies come at different times.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Cornflower and Cosmos.
both ok for butterflies

Attachments

• E8FF8114-0B5A-497D-B16B-30274E548FF1.jpeg
    E8FF8114-0B5A-497D-B16B-30274E548FF1.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 4

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I see you have 20 cell trays @62tucker. Are they in a greenhouse? Is there a cell size that is best for root development or does it depend on what you are sowing?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Yes in a greenhouse but your mini greenhouse be ok. Get some extra propagators covers for night time if is going to get cold. Or some fleece.
Or old school pop bottle.
any size cell will do for small seeds it just helps when potting up so u don’t disturb roots but not essential.
I wouldn’t sow nasturtium in small cell as big seed and big root.
ps. I saved some nasturtium from last year. Now have to find it.

62tucker

Site Supporter
As you can see some of my cell might have 4/5 seeds growing.
can separate them or if you have enough I sometimes just cut each cell down to 2 plants.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Smaller cells or plugs are usually used for germinating the seeds (not plant specific). Once large enough to handle the small plants would be transferred to larger cells, pots or trays. Larger cells are OK for germination and growing on to the stage they can be planted to their final position in the garden.

Remember that you can sow seed in plain seed trays, not cells. I do this with smaller seeds that are difficult to sow individually. Then when large enough are transplanted into cells for growing on to the planting out stage. Seedlings can be transplanted once two true leaves have formed (as opposed to the initial seed leaves). I use an old table fork to lift the compost under the seedlings to break them from the compost. You then grasp the leaf, not the stalk and then transplant into the growing on cell or pot.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Trailing Geraniums and Fuchsias for the hanging baskets - from seed.

20210402_155501.jpg 20210402_155505.jpg 20210402_155514.jpg
Are they sown outside without a propagator cover Keith? It is forecast to be below freezing next week. Would it be prudent to wait until after this before i sow?