South West pole alley?

Tom W

I live in Cornwall and we have a distinct lack of larger tackle shops for trying out things such as rods/poles.

I am looking at making a new pole my next purchase. With this being a fairly large investment for me I'm hoping to get and try our some poles in person in a pole alley. Looking for these online seems to be difficult. I wondered if anyone knew of any pole alleys anywhere near the south west? I'm happy to travel, but the only ones I've seen so far are in the Leeds/Sheffield area, which is a fair old way.

Anyone know of any closer?

mrfishey

The old Fosters shop in Birmingham used to have one, but now it's Angling Direct, I'm not sure what they have there now

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I live in Cornwall and we have a distinct lack of larger tackle shops for trying out things such as rods/poles.

I am looking at making a new pole my next purchase. With this being a fairly large investment for me I'm hoping to get and try our some poles in person in a pole alley. Looking for these online seems to be difficult. I wondered if anyone knew of any pole alleys anywhere near the south west? I'm happy to travel, but the only ones I've seen so far are in the Leeds/Sheffield area, which is a fair old way.

Anyone know of any closer?
What about Summerlands in Bideford? Big shop, not been in there for a whole, Stafford Moor Fishery have a shop, think there is also a garden centre with a decent shop. North Devon Tackle Barnstable, Tackle shop in Bude. Don't know if these are close?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Angling direct in Swindon may be able to help. Not sure of any other big angling shops in the South west now Veals have shut up shop.

alsur

Site Supporter
I think Tober Manor Fishery In Dorset has a good tackle shop but I think an actual pole ally is going to be difficult to find we suffer thesame her in Surrey. I normally go to big one if I want to look at poles but that probably won't be an option with covid.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I would think Bristol Angling Centre might be closest to you, seem to have a good range.

Tom W

What about Summerlands in Bideford? Big shop, not been in there for a whole, Stafford Moor Fishery have a shop, think there is also a garden centre with a decent shop. North Devon Tackle Barnstable, Tackle shop in Bude. Don't know if these are close?
Good shouts for closer places. Although I don't think it has poles, the Summerlands shop looks good and I haven't been there before.

Tom W

I think Tober Manor Fishery In Dorset has a good tackle shop but I think an actual pole ally is going to be difficult to find we suffer thesame her in Surrey. I normally go to big one if I want to look at poles but that probably won't be an option with covid.
Yeah I was due to go to big one this year but it got cancelled. That was my initial plan to view them. May just have to make a long trip.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am not convinced of the value of a pole alley, no wind, no elastic in the top kit, holding a pole in a pole alley isn’t the same as trying it on the bank. I’d be tempted to wander round some fisheries and ask about the poles that are being used, you may well get an offer to to sit on a box and try it (but don’t try this during a match..... )

Tom W

I am not convinced of the value of a pole alley, no wind, no elastic in the top kit, holding a pole in a pole alley isn’t the same as trying it on the bank. I’d be tempted to wander round some fisheries and ask about the poles that are being used, you may well get an offer to to sit on a box and try it (but don’t try this during a match..... )
Hadn't considered those factors. Good point.

alsur

Site Supporter
Yes I agree a pole ally give you some idea but as soon as you put elastic in especially heavier elastic the balance and action change there is no subsidy to using one.

Hi Tom

I also live in Cornwall and I know exactly what you mean. I recently bought my pole from Exeter Angling as they had them made up on the top floor of the shop. Additionally they had a good stock (pre covid issues) of tackle in the shop and the staff were very helpful.

Just a pointer but if you are looking for anything in particular check the price on line beforehand as sometimes they differ in the shop and they should honour the online price if lower.

I was in Bristol recently (a few weeks ago) and I know Angling Direct there have one upstairs.

Cheers

Ian

Tom W

Hi Tom

I also live in Cornwall and I know exactly what you mean. I recently bought my pole from Exeter Angling as they had them made up on the top floor of the shop. Additionally they had a good stock (pre covid issues) of tackle in the shop and the staff were very helpful.

Just a pointer but if you are looking for anything in particular check the price on line beforehand as sometimes they differ in the shop and they should honour the online price if lower.

I was in Bristol recently (a few weeks ago) and I know Angling Direct there have one upstairs.

Cheers

Ian
Amazing, thanks for the input Ian, that really helps.