South Cerney Disable Festival 8th July 2018

jimmyb111

Hi,Just for curiosity how many Disable anglers are fishing the
South Cerney Disable Festival 8th July 2018???

dirk

Site Supporter
Looks like it Jim, Is it something you said [:p]

jimmyb111

The disabled forum has been very quiet, just like the disabled matches,
makes you wonder where the disabled anglers and angling is going???

jimmyb111

Hi 160642fishing, When i first started going South Cerney in 2007 there was about 140 plus. last year 45 we can all say well its this and that we know price of fuel had a lot to do it,its same with most of disabled clubs
Angling Trust used to have 4 disabled matches a year and well attended now there is only one with about 25.Same with UKDMFC in 2007 there was 150 fished 17 matches over UK last year there was 5 matches
with 23 disabled anglers,unfortunately we had to called it a day.

I think the late Bucko had the same problem,What ever the reason for the decline it will never come close to how it was,same has the MD disabled forum there was always something going whether it was good or bad, now its rarely used.RIP [:C]

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Our club is going through the same thing,members are leaving through worsening health or worse and not enough new members coming in

tonerain

Site Supporter
Originally posted by jimmyb111

The disabled forum has been very quiet, just like the disabled matches,
makes you wonder where the disabled anglers and angling is going???

I'm a disabled angler so here's my tuppence worth.

I don't think there's a problem at all. Because clubs and commercials have improved disabled facilities so much in the past 20 years anglers can be confident that their access needs are met.

The 3 clubs I'm in have, between them, half a dozen accessible pools that I can fish.

Added to which I don't want my disability to define me, so I'm not a member of any "disabled" clubs.
I don't go to my local MS branch meetings for the same reason.

dirk

Site Supporter
Most commercials now run Vets Matches or over 55s + blue badge holders.

Im a member of Tunnel Barn Farm and they have around 140 members on their books. Theyve been getting 40+ anglers through the winter months each week. It seems that this format has now taken over and has eliminated the need for specific matches for anglers with disabilities.

The matches cost 10 plus you can park behind most pegs, so its affordable and accessible. [:T]

jimmyb111

I agree with you regarding vet matches over 55 plus blue badge holders, doe,s that include disable anglers with out a blue badge ??.
When you and me first started doing disabled matches long ago lol, there was not all that many disabled venues, plus they was all disabled anglers who took part, but why should they travel miles to fish disabled venues when there is a lot more disable friendly fisheries,local to them, plus there not has many disabled anglers coming into angling and we are all getting older and our disabilities are getting worse, what ever the reasons are go out and enjoy your fishing whether its a match knock up or pleasure enjoy.

baz-65

Good Evening Jimmy and Dirk. I am in total agreement with you both. I know from personal experience that you have both run disabled matches very efficiently for lots of years. A great time was had by every disabled angler, who participated. Unfortunately, I had to cease fishing your matches, due to my illness getting far worse. I can only go now with either of my sons carrying my tackle, and partially setting up. Also, many a time I have to finish early due to the pain. I am not moaning or complaining, I have had a wonderful life and a fantastic fishing hobby. At nearly 76, I know due to being totally knackered after a match, I should now either cease matches or at least wait until the summer. But, although my brain tells me this, my heart insists I still go. Now, obviously most of the disabled anglers who used to fish your matches are in the same boat. So, gentleman, please do not reproach yourselves as you were both instrumental in giving lots of disabled anglers a lot of enjoyment. All the best to both of you, and again, many thanks for all your help over the years. Thank You.

jimmyb111

Hello Baz , sorry to hear you are getting worse, i must admit i do struggle to go fishing but what do you do stare out of the window ,so like you me and a lot of others we make the effort thankfully i have got a good wife who helps me a lot which makes a big difference anyway look on the bright side summers coming lol and take care ....