Sorry football lovers.

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
It’s called respect, and it’s not evident in all sports obviously

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have coached kids rugby from Under 8's right through to 16 year olds. One of the things I used to teach the kids is respect the referee and call him sir. It's somewhat of a tradition in rugby that I hope continues. There are that many laws in rugby, especially those around the off-side law which changes depending on a players position in relation to where the ball is, where it was kicked from, whether a team mate or the opposition kicked it, If the player is in a line out/scrum/ruck or maul. It's a tough job for a ref and they deserve respect for turning out to do the job, after all no ref, no game.

I do think that rugby refs wouldn't stand the abuse that some football refs receive. I have seen a ref march a team 10 yards for dissent and then another 10 yards back for not knowing when to stop arguing with the ref. . I do recall him saying 'keep going on and I will march back behind your own try line.' I am sure if a rugby player ranted at a ref, that player would soon be shown a red card and likely face a two match ban, if not longer.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Two different games, different dynamics at play. Rugby you get the chance to vent any frustration physically both within the rules (seen) and outside the rules (unseen- sticking one on an opponent for example and taking one in return). Football/football players, you can't approach the ref, there is minimal contact allowed, you can't talk to the ref- football players are like coiled springs just waiting to vent frustration.

Bring back the days of a good solid but fair challenge being allowed and you would see the game manage itself, just like Rugby does because it can and within its 'rules'.

Another common one is footballers are soft. Some players granted don't aid disagreeing with that veiwpoint, but again, the nature of the game. In Rugby you tend to lead with the stronger part of your body (upper) football its with less strong legs, knees and ankles.

I suspect it may turn into the old Rugby players are gents and footballers are thugs chestnut though.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Why do rugby fans seem to think that being a football fan means that you have to like every aspect of the game? Far too many top class players behave appallingly, on and off the field. To a certain extent, that deplorable behavior can trickle down the league pyramids. However, the notion of all rugby players being angels is rather preposterous. Certain aspects of football, and modern footballers, absolutely disgust me. However, that does not diminish my love of the game. It certainly doesn't make me like rugby more.

Ronaldo being a tool to a referee during a game doesn't stop me enjoying football more than rugby. Some big lummox being respectful towards a little Gog referee at the end of a game doesn't make rugby any more enjoyable to watch.

davylad

You're missing the point Sam, nobody is trying to make you like rugby. The point is, most footballers in the top leagues are over paid prima donnas, and yes there are a few in rugby, but 99% of them show respect for both the opposition and the officials. Why can't footballers do the same, it's not a lot to ask.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
No, I don't believe I am missing the point at all. You've posted in Football Corner, effectively taking a swipe at football fans for liking football. It's perfectly possible to like football despite its ills. Perhaps they could, and should, do something about dismal behaviour by players, but it doesn't make any difference to my preference for, and enjoyment of, football. If you, or others, don't like it, fair enough, so what? I like Chinese food, I'm not about to slag off Indian food to all and sundry. It's just a matter of taste.

davylad

Ok Sam, sorry if I've upset you, it was meant really as a bit of fun to be honest. I enjoy a game of football too, in fact I went to watch Hull City for 3 seasons up to last year, and enjoyed a lot of it.

Dusty

Two different games, different dynamics at play. Rugby you get the chance to vent any frustration physically both within the rules (seen) and outside the rules (unseen- sticking one on an opponent for example and taking one in return). Football/football players, you can't approach the ref, there is minimal contact allowed, you can't talk to the ref- football players are like coiled springs just waiting to vent frustration.

Bring back the days of a good solid but fair challenge being allowed and you would see the game manage itself, just like Rugby does because it can and within its 'rules'.

Another common one is footballers are soft. Some players granted don't aid disagreeing with that veiwpoint, but again, the nature of the game. In Rugby you tend to lead with the stronger part of your body (upper) football its with less strong legs, knees and ankles.

I suspect it may turn into the old Rugby players are gents and footballers are thugs chestnut though.

Precisely this.

I’ve seen on at least 3 occasions Rugby players physically knock out an opposing player with their fists which is behaviour I’ve yet to see at the top level in football. Then again apparently it’s fine In Rugby because they all shake hands at the end?

It really gets me when people say football players are overpaid primadonnas, it’s just s generally lazy opinion that is spouted by anyone that dislikes the game.

It also gets me when people compare a tackle in football resulting in injury to a tackle in rugby. I would much rather take a hardrugby tackle than a two footed lunge at my ankles any day of the week.

davylad

That's fine Dusty, we're all entitled to our opinions, and I agree with you regarding some of the terrible injuries in football to the Prima Donnas, only for them to get up smiling when they've got a free kick or a penalty. I was involved in RL for 20 years or so, and only once did I see a player sparko from a punch, I saw many from fair tackles. The post is about respect / lack of it, in a light hearted way, oh and I've got a few mates who were very good well known pro footballers of a few years ago, and they often cringe at the antics of the modern game. Probably a little envy, as they earned peanuts to what they get in todays game, not sure. Take care matey. :upthumb: