Sons first catch, What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDazUK

Me and My son have just started fishing and on his first trip fishing the first fish he caught was this. It looked like a Roach to me but the fins weren't red enough. It weighed juut over 2lb. Any ideas what it is?

Many Thanks for the help.

Datafile11.jpg

Last edited:

Tony_grig

Its a nice skimmer bream that is mate. A skimmer is basically a small bream that hasn't turned bronze coloured yet. The one your lad caught would be considered quite a big skimmer I'd have thought!
Tony

crowder

Originally posted by BigDazUK

Me and My son have just started fishing and on his first trip fishing the first fish he caught was this. It looked like a Roach to me but the fins weren't red enough. It weighed juut over 2lb. Any ideas what it is?

Many Thanks for the help.

Datafile11.asp

He looks chuffed to bits, yeah its a skimmer, and fairly big one at that,well done young un[:D]

BigDazUK

Thanks for the info guys. He was chuffed to bits when he caught it. 20 mins into his first fishing trip and he pulled that out. Beginners luck or what! out of interest, what kind of size would a skimmer grow to?

Thanks

crowder

Ive had them to 2-3lb but i suppose it depends, as said it is only a baby bream, so it depends, its like estimating when a boy becomes a man[:D] Its puberty for fish basically[:D]

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
What a cracking first fish ! From a nice piece of canal by the looks of it too.

BigDazUK

It was from the Shropshire Union Canal in Middlewich, Cheshire. If you know that area at all. I was told that there are a lot of good fish along that stretch. My son can't wait for his next big catch.

BigDazUK

Yeah we did. Can't wait to get our rods out again. Hopefully soon we'll actually know what were doing and we'll catch fish like this on purpose rather than by accident. At the moment were still danglers rather than anglers.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
that tree on the far bank looks like a top peg

loving the Man U shirt too

nice fish!

chewy49

LumbValleyAnglers
great photo [8D]

can't wait until my little un is old enough to take with me.

Columbo

A big well done to you're lad from me. Nice fish and looks a cracking day and venue. He will no doubt remember that fish for the rest of his life, not bad for a first fish. Well done.

Steve

p.s tell him to lose that red shirt [:D]

dward1996

Life Member
Pass our congratulations on to your son. It sounds like he had a great time, with great results. A 2lb fish is a great size for a first trip! Let's hope there are many more to follow in the forthcoming years!

cess monkey

Great fish to introduce your lad to the world of fishing. Dont worry about being a dangler, we all had to start somewhere and with the help of the drowners you and your lad will be anglers sooner rather than later.

Fill

As long as he keeps catching then he will keep wanting to go and as long as he wants to go then you have a good excuse to go fishing your self.Make the most of it because its not long before they grow up and start going on their own. Enjoy it and good luck to both of you.Well done young un

Status
Not open for further replies.