son of a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyprinid_boy

Hi guys,
Long time since last post. A little interesting story for you. The guys and I are currently undertaking a fish rescue on the Oxford Canal at Newbold, Rugby. Plenty of fish, all species, and plenty of shopping trollies and bikes. However, i little twist today as we found a sawn off shotgun in a holdall. I guess it wasn't dropped there by accident and it now resides in the hands of the police. Bombs and bodies but never a shot gun.

Mat

(this is your area malc so i gave your details to the please)

anyexcuse

Perhaps it was chucked in by someone who suddenly had a conscience about killing a cormorant - definately a dangerous character(he needs locking up)!!

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

MALC

Proberly belongs to the Little A#####E that lives 2 doors away, last year he was up for shooting offences and knifing's and still he walks the street.

On a lighter note matt i took a stroll along the cut (yes i jumped the barrier) this morning on my way home from work checked out the short stretch between the Quarry and the Newbold Bridge (forgot number).

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

snakey

PAA COACH
And what`s wrong with shooting fences? You have 2 practice on something. No seriously it`s nice to hear that someome is taking the time out to keep their waters clean. We have a pond in Olney and no matter how often it`s cleaned out it`s full again within days. I wish I could catch the b*******ds responsible. There is a group of us who regularly drag the river and besides the odd bike and trolley the oddest thing to come out was a rusty ammunition box still full of machine gun bullets. Was it the same clumsy guy who lost the shot gun ? who knows. Keep the waters and banks clean.

SNAKEY`S NOT PLAYING GOLF YET

Cyprinid_boy

Well Malc, Jobs done so lets fill you in on what we found.

Rather promising as the recent history of this section is really quite poor. Lots of roach 0+ through to 6+, all year classes present. Bream to 2lbs plus many hundreds of juvenilles 0-2+. An abundance of gudgeon which are returning as a result of zander removal. A total of 31 zander in the 2km stretch. Nothing above 10oz. All looks good Malc, should be running matches there in 4 years.

Mat

MALC

Well done Cyp.

Great to hear about the Gudgeon as i've not had one from there for over 5 years.

Must admit though mostly i only walk the 2 mins to the section to set up rigs and have not bothered with bait for about a year now.

But that may well change once the waters back.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello all

I once pulled a 3 foot long sword from my local river, a 1930 Indian sabre to be exact, it now resides on my wall.

also once pulled out a sign for a street that is 20miles away, and not on the river course!!

ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Perhaps the shotgun was for fishing but he/she couldn't catch anything with that so gave up and packed in for life. Remember once me and me brother lifted a big pipe out of the river and about five eel's all came out lol so we put it bk.

Tight lines [:D]

mike s

Was working on a drained section of canal back in the '80s & we found HUNDREDS of rounds of live Warsaw Pact ammunition!

Cumbria Angling Centre

Apache

Not been dragging the river, but have had a bite which nearly ripped the quiver from the rest. Struck, and felt resistance. Reeled in a plastic bag with a brick and the remains of a puppy ot cat, couldnt tell as it was too decomposed to tell. If I find out who it was, they will be fishing the b*****d out of the river with 50lbs of concrete round their neck!!! [:(!][V][:0]

:) Apache :)

Last edited:

Apache

Anyone who treats any animal will get very short shrift (and a .308 bullet) from me. Just because they aren't wanted, does that mean they have to die? If you have to get rid of them, take them to an animal rescue centre. If any animal dies it should be naturally or humanely. Trout get knocked on the head and die humanely. I have had to kill injured birds that have been brought in my my cat before, and none of them have suffered more than they had to. If I see a rabbit with mixomytosis, I will kill it, rather than have it run down by a car and die in agony. I hope that others do the same.[:(!]

Sorry, rant over with now!

:) Apache :)

Last edited:

crusty

Whilst pikeing on a stretch of cut behind where I used to live, I had a slow take that gently pulled the float under, and after an epic haul, landed a box covered in plastic, as it neared the net it disintigrated, and spilled out boxes and boxes of......cod in butter sauce!!

I stayed on for the rest of the day, and despite changing tactics, couldn't get the chips.

crusty

Status
Not open for further replies.