Somethings happenin here..............................

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
And what it is aint exactly clear

that famous line from a Buffalo Springfield song reverberated through my head near all day yesterday

Got a phone call later part of last week, would I like to join in the monthly matches of the "Old Codgers AC", well, wasnt sure if that was a compliment or how others now see me ?

the first gig that was on the list, had been booked on my favourite stretch of the Royal Military Canal, down at Aldergate in the middle of the Romney Marsh, so that being so, yours truly signed on the dotted line

this week though my main priority has been the refurbishment-bastardization-modification to a Boss match seat box that I had bought a couple of weeks ago, sat down one evening and listed all the things I wanted from the box and designed a few extras, that would make as far as I was concerned the ultimate angling box, and this along with the strip down and rebuild of the said box had taken all my spare time up,

its coming along quite nicely, the new custom built seat that I had won in a comp on here has had the mods done to make it compatible with the existing fixings and the problem with the wire drawer locking bar that sits just under the seat, the drawers were sanded down and treated to a few coats of Sadolin rosewood stain and exterior satin laquer, the glassfibre base had recieved a fair bit of flatting to remove the marks that a 32 year old box picks up in that time and then polished out, new decals were sourced and then applied to the shiny glassfibre and a good old search through various storage facilities had unearthed new legs with inserted 360 degree swivel feet and a set of extremely rare fox 100mm clip on mud feet along with side trays, brolley arms, etc, need to go along to my friendly local light engineers and see if they will do a tad of alloy welding for me for the proposed rear fitted custom bar that I hope will hold the new pole kit roost and spare groundbait bucket

still toying with the final set up, cant make my mind up wether to use either an alloy checquerplate or a standard 4 bar footplate yet or wether to use a optional side draw or pole rig sections, pretty sure that a couple of outings will show me either the benefits of these options, though I will refurb-finish these to the same standard too, just in case

so that being that a slightly cavalier approach to preperation for tuesdays match was undertaken, it really didnt bother me much as as far as end tackle-rigs etc was concerned, the old in use boss box was full of them, along with plenty of hooklengths etc, so that really was taken care of, there wasnt much else to do, so I winged it and just needed to source some bait

there were some dead maggot in the freezer, corn on the shelf, and the wench in her kindness picked me up a loaf of cheap white tesco toastie on her way back from sitting on babies, quick call to the bait shop and I could pick up some fresh gentles on the way to the venue in the morn, but they had no caster or pinkies, that though not ideal would do, sorted michael !

Monday was hot, proper hot, the sun in southeast kent beat down on the land, took a trip out with tuppence worth of black dog after snap, strolled down to the harbour, the place was rammed solid with grockles, not one parking space for the plethora of cars and vehicles searching for one, saw some frayed tempers and upset familys, the main road down to the sea had been reduced to almost a single lane due to inconsiderate parking, the local enforcement officers were having a dream day dishing out the yellow tickets, at £35 a go the council probably made as much this day as they had done in the past 3 months

a couple of ciders later in our usual establishment, convinced us that home would be the better place to be, so the slowish wander back was commenced, the comfy chair sought and a late afternoon siesta was undertaken

new day dawning, and it was still warm, the night had only dropped the temp down to around 19 degrees and a quick look on the one eyed monster confirmed that today was to be the same as yesterday, bloody hot

loading the van produced a sweat, one of those even though I hadnt drunk a lot beer sweats, I was dripping before I had even started, bloody hell, quick earholing for the small black dog, a shout up the wooden hill to the wench and off out the door,

now, I love my T4, best van Ive ever owned, but I wish I had some air con, even with both front windows open there wasnt much cooling and the heating system was refusing to push out any cold air, the trip round to the sign of the golden arches was brief and the order slung in

a sausage and egg breakfast mcbap please and a banana milk shake,

no milk shake sir, machines on the blink, WTF !, I was really looking forward to that cold gloopy chemical concoction, proper dissapointed, the rest of the jouney was undertaken, reaching the venue with plenty of time to spare,

only one other on site as I pulled up, the organisor no less, so introductions made and the wait for the other adherants commenced, gradually a total of 14 bodies turned up, some of which I knew, some of which i didnt, new faces entirely, meet and greet

the draw was different, no pegs had been set up, it was to be done in the Wacky Race style, you draw a number and then the lowest goes off and chooses his preferred peg then each number thereafter, my token stated number 4, and I had a good idea where I fancied, leaving the mob after the first 3 took off, the short drive down the track was undertaken and the peg was unoccupied, well it was until my arrival, handy as handy could be

nice peg, I had fished it before and netted a decent bag of fish to finish in second place on a previous match, it had trees either side, which gave a bit of shade cover on the water at all times through the match, covering the early sun on the right at first then as the sun tracks across your back, shifting the shade to the left, pretty essential here on bright sunny days, you could reach the far side lillys easily with 16mtrs, which would be handy, and the close bank lillies-weeds provided cover for the short lines, or they would of done had not the EA been through last week cutting them back, not only that, they had dumped the cuttings on the bank, which also seems to attract them bloody black flies,

the cut, was a bit rough, the surface floating leaves had gone, but a lot of the stems were still there, more to follow about this

4 rigs were set up, two kits with NG white hollo for the deeps and two kits with NG dark blue hollo for up in the water

one kit was loaded with a NG finesse glass stem weighted at 1 gramme with an olivette and dropper for down the track, at roughly a top 4 depth

the next had the same float but at 0.5 for the close in and far across marginal reeds fishing at between 4 and 5 foot of depth, bulk shotted with a dropper

the third had a NG XT ghandi rated at 0.2 for ultra shallow fishing, shotted right under the float

and the final rig was a hillbilly gazzunder at 4 x 16 for shallow to mid depth, shirt buttoned for a fall through the top half of the water

all the rig line were shimano aspire silk shock at 0.14, and all rigs had a size 18 drennan silverfish maggot sharp bit tied to 2lb line

also set up a tip rod fitted with a drennan 4 square cage feeder,, 6 inch hooklength tied to a drennan size 16 silverfish pellet hook, in case all else failed

there it goes, the organisors whistle shrilled its high pitch start to the combat down the length of the cut

out went a big pinch of gentles to the edge of the drop off, closely followed by the gazzunder rig fished long line too hand, float didnt even settle before it towed away toward the far bank and a lift into it saw a two ounce roach swinging back to my waiting hand, in, unhooked, netted, rebait and back out again in a practiced long used used way and the same thing occurred,

feed, out, bite, lift swing, like clockwork, the first half hour saw a fish a minute, nothing big, but the weight would build if I kept it up doing well mick, things look good

next half hour wasnt quite as good, there was a bit of skittering going on, the fry and yearlings present to the front would break water and shoot off fast, then the reason became apparent as I was pulling another small fish back, a jack pike made a grab for it just as I was lifting the redfin out the water, he missed, ha ha, you bugger

but it killed it for a while, so another method was applied, picking up the deep olivette kit, and shipping out to alongside the edge of deep drop off, double red maggot on the hook and the trap set by feeding a small pole pot of deads over the float, slower fishing, it took about a quarter of an hour before the first indications of owt was happening underwater, the slim bristle dipped once then twice and a stiff lift produced resistance to the elastic, shipping in showed a skimmer of about half a pound, a netter fish, the first of the day

back out, same line, another pole pot of feed and the waiting game began again, 10 mins later, the rattle that the bite produced could only be another roach, bit bigger than the UITW fish, but still smallish, no more than 3 ounce at best

out again, another feed and it just sat there, decided to add another section, still sat there

by now the sun was proper up, and beating down on my back, almost uncomfortably so, shipped back in, and took a drinks break, had a look at the groundbait tub and put a tad more water to it as it was drying out, even though I had stuck the lid on, decided then to use some of it, adding a few deads to it and rolling a few tangerine sized balls then shipping it out on the pole cup to the same place I had taken the skimmer from

leaving this line, and started feeding a pinch of live maggot under the shade of the tree to the right, and out with the dead depth lighter finesse rig baited with a single gentle, missed the first couple of bites, reaction time was far too slow, but hit the next, felt like a good fish as it headed into the stalks of the cut lillies to seek sanctuary, and sanctuary it found, snagging me up amongst those stalks, swearing, I had to go for a good pull and the hooklength gave way, the fish had long gone by then anyway

retying a new hook length and out to try again, taking a few more 2 ounce roach before another decent fish done the same to the hook yet again, more cursing,

changed lines back to the front and the gazzunder rig again, couple more small fish before mr jack put in yet another appearance, this time hitting the hooked fish and getting away with it and another hooklength, more untoward language,

fella to my right (kieth) had taken what looked like a couple of decent bream early doors on the long pole, but had run into pike problems too, so had switched to the feeder over to the far lillies, now he had got up for a pee or to get a drink or summat, when theres a big splash and hes running back to the peg to see his rod going for a swim across the cut being towed by what looked to be a pretty big angry fish,

stripping down he does a mark spitz impersonation and is out swimming to follow it, grabbing the butt and remarkably the fish is still on and hes playing it still floating (I wasnt giggling honest, I wasnt) though on the way back in doing the backstroke, whatever it was shed the hook, ( I still wasnt giggling),

young alan to my left then started a quick run of skimmers going into his net, bloody hell mick, your getting done good and proper here,, so out with the long pole and back over the groundbait line, now dont it pee you off, that next pegs pulling decent skimbobs out, but all you get is small roach and bottletops, well this was one of the days, though I did enquire and found that he was using chopped worm mixed in the GB, and my pee poor prep meant I had none (thats twice in the last few gigs thats happened, I never learn )

there was around an hour to go now, I had to do summat different and do it fast !

fed a big old handfull of gentles over the 4 and 5 section lines and with the most excellent drennan polarised shades I could see down into the clear water about 3 foot, and there was loads of decent sized redfins shooting around and gobbling them up,

so out goes the shallow ghandi rig, baited with single maggot, dropped in over a pinch of loose fed maggot, this began the saga of the title of this thread

I could see my bait dropping down, I could see the fish grabbing the loose fed, I could see them nosing mine, but get em to take it, that wasnt happening, tried many different variations of hooking the maggot, side hooked, end hooked, even fed the hooked maggot around the bend of the hook, the same still happened

came in and swapped the hooklength down to a size 20 on a pound and a half hooklength, took a few on that, but none of the decent sized ones

it wasnt the shotting either, that was right under the float and I could see my maggot dropping at the same rate as the loose feed ?????

I swear they could see the hook or the line, they went for the bait but sheared off before taking it, even twitching it through or heavy feeding didnt produce any of the bigger fish, until just before the whistle I had one about 10 ounces

frustrating wasnt the word

asked alan what he had in his net, and tipped back well beaten

some days eh

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Great write-up as always, Mick. I look forward to these.
One day, I'll read about you winning the match :)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy

With the fish behaving like that, I have a question. Does the place where you fished have Pike? I'm wondering if that's why they were shying off. It's happened to me before.

Total

Site Supporter
A fine write-up as always Mick, and a thoroughly enjoyable recount.:)(y)

......I wondered if a floating maggot on your hook would have secured a few more of the said redfins? :unsure:...All hypothesis of course.....

Thank you for posting. ;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy

With the fish behaving like that, I have a question. Does the place where you fished have Pike? I'm wondering if that's why they were shying off. It's happened to me before.

yes mate, theres loadsa pike in the canal, from jacks through to big specimens of over 20lb

I did mention in the post that I had pike trouble, even loosing a fish to one of them when shipping in

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
yes mate, theres loadsa pike in the canal, from jacks through to big specimens of over 20lb

I did mention in the post that I had pike trouble, even loosing a fish to one of them when shipping in

I read that but thought it was a different day., sorry for misunderstanding.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
going back to the same peg tomorrow

taking the same bait and a few caster to sort the mystery of why they wouldnt bite