Something you never want to see

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Something I never thought I’d see let alone somewhere I’ve parked to fish dozens of times in what in day time hours is a perfectly safe public place in quite a nice area. Just shows that if you night fish you really do have to be careful where you go as there really is some scum about 😡

1636669086070.png

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Shocking really. There used to be safe areas... there used to be dangerous areas... now nowhere's safe.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I remember a similar thing happening at the top car park at Bestwood Ponds in Nottingham - I was doing an overnighter on the 2nd lake. Thankfully it was nowhere near my car. Certainly gets your attention……

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Shocking really. There used to be safe areas... there used to be dangerous areas... now nowhere's safe.
Yeah exactly, you really wouldn’t expect it there. When fishing there most the people who walk past are quite middle class plummy sounding types and the average hose price there wouldn’t see you get much change out of 500k so not exactly the sort of place you’d expect scum bags to be hanging out. Makes you wonder if it’s people coming from elsewhere and targeting anglers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That was a thought that crossed my mind too... maybe a group of antis? Maybe too far fetched but difficult to tell.

PAULMK5

Don't know your age silverfishes, but things like that was going on about 20yrs ago all the time,when I lived in Oxford it was a place you didn't go fishing alone as was donnington. Matches were fine but never on your own.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don't know your age silverfishes, but things like that was going on about 20yrs ago all the time,when I lived in Oxford it was a place you didn't go fishing alone as was donnington. Matches were fine but never on your own.
Knocking on 29 probably been fishing there since about 16 and never had any problems or felt unsafe there or anywhere around here. I don’t fish donnington though (just too busy too close to you) and can imagine that could be dodgy.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Awful! Burham reservoir had that problem some years ago when anglers were forced to park a fair way away from the venue (fly tipping from memory). This resulted in the water being abandoned by club members and eventually MVAS themselves. I hope that your venue organisers get this problem sorted out quickly and the assholes who did this brought to book

Robwooly

I'm on my guard wherever I fish, trouble can find you anywhere. There's nothing you can do if it's your motor though, sounds like a group of yobs have turned up in a car thieving, must be off their heads a bit too to torch a motor. If the police catch them they will be given a tea and a caution, that'll show them, but they won't even investigate so that's that. What goes around comes around and they will have the same happen to them eventually.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Something I never thought I’d see let alone somewhere I’ve parked to fish dozens of times in what in day time hours is a perfectly safe public place in quite a nice area. Just shows that if you night fish you really do have to be careful where you go as there really is some scum about 😡

1636669086070.png
Un F'ing believable! Looks like a scene from the old days in Belfast!

W

Whitty

Several years ago now I was fishing in Bedford,somewhere ive fished since a boy,I was using a keepnet,a rarity for me in the last fifteen years,but I was hemp and taring,well,I thought it was slow,odd runs of fish then nothing,but had a few decent roach to a pound in amongst the smaller fish,come mid-afternoon I noticed three guys watching me fish from a park bench,thought nothing of if as ive done the same,anyway they got up and came over,one piped up 'we have your fish' in an Eastern European accent,I said no you f###### dont,the guy then said 'you dont understand,we have your fish' and pulled out a very large knife,I had heard of occasional problems with herberts so had a heavy bankstick to hand,I got up,bankstick in hand and said 'you three are going to hurt me,but you(the guy with the knife) is going to have this smashed in your head',luckily they backed off,but I would have,if able...the same day I has two guys 'shooting up' on the same bench,what a world...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Several years ago now I was fishing in Bedford,somewhere ive fished since a boy,I was using a keepnet,a rarity for me in the last fifteen years,but I was hemp and taring,well,I thought it was slow,odd runs of fish then nothing,but had a few decent roach to a pound in amongst the smaller fish,come mid-afternoon I noticed three guys watching me fish from a park bench,thought nothing of if as ive done the same,anyway they got up and came over,one piped up 'we have your fish' in an Eastern European accent,I said no you f###### dont,the guy then said 'you dont understand,we have your fish' and pulled out a very large knife,I had heard of occasional problems with herberts so had a heavy bankstick to hand,I got up,bankstick in hand and said 'you three are going to hurt me,but you(the guy with the knife) is going to have this smashed in your head',luckily they backed off,but I would have,if able...the same day I has two guys 'shooting up' on the same bench,what a world...
Blimey that is shocking there really are some disgraceful people about

Reuben

Site Supporter
Must say, I’ve always got something heavy & pointy to hand when fishing. Usually a spare solid threaded umbrella spike. I always fish alone & it doesn’t do to be complacent in today’s society, especially when you’re a vulnerable pensioner.

acart8426

I take it that was the carpark down Sandford lane approached from Kennington . Used to be ok in the daytime , don't think its lit though at night .

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I was walking along the Bridgewater Canal through Sale 5am, last year still dark nobody around and a hoodied lad rolled up from behind on his bike and slowed to my walking pace, clearly an undesirable character - he said “eyyarrr yo as that water got fish n’that init yeah?” then looked at my rod and said “yo wot r they worth?”…

I said 1sec and stopped, he stopped, I pulled out out my Spyderco and said “not worth an eyeball.. what are you getting at?” and he peddled off looking back laughing and swearing something unintelligible.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I take it that was the carpark down Sandford lane approached from Kennington . Used to be ok in the daytime , don't think its lit though at night .
Yep is indeed. And yes it’s completely fine in day time I’ve never felt anything but perfectly safe there. Like you say it’s not lit at night so I wouldn’t go there then but still wouldn’t have expected anything that extreme to happen.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Head a rumour ( and it was just a rumour) that is if a water is a goodun with good carp, facilities, and parking, run by a club it gets targetted by a few nasty sorts... Litter, crapping on pathways, trouble with other anglers... the leaseholder gets the hump, ejects the club, then mysterioisly a syndicate pops up to take over the running and policing the bad behaviour... and just as mysteriously all the trouble stops... immediately...
Its happened locally (so I hear) to a syndi water a rival group wanted the water and this was the tactics employed to take control