Some String Pulling Required

Simon R

Site Supporter
After a couple of blank pike sessions and some less than inspiring river trips I need some action so headed down to Renny Lakes yesterday.

It was a cold, foggy morning although fortunately frost free - I arrived about 8.30am and initially wondered if the place was shut as mine was the only car in the car-park :oops:
I headed straight across to the peg on the silvers lake I've drawn in our last two matches - both took place in the colder weather and on both occasions I caught carp so I reckoned it was a fairly safe assumption that there would be one or two in the area.
Image00013.jpg

Image00014.jpg

I set up three top kits to fish down along the margin on the right, across to the aerator and a light 2+2 rig straight in front. All three lines had produced carp on my last visit although the margin had been by far the most productive. Bait-wise I had some fresh maggots, some very old and half-dead pinkies that had been fridged for six weeks, corn and various pellets - I also knocked up a bit of groundbait - 50/50 Boland Black Roach (more for colour than anything else) and Sonubait Thatchers. I had a quick couple of minutes fishing each of the lines just with maggot on the hook to check for resident fish - I got a tentative bite on the 2+2 line but no sign of anything on either of the others.

I dropped a bit of groundbait, a few pellets and some maggot on each line before starting on the 2+2 line - just flicking maggots sparingly at the float by hand with single maggot on the hook I soon started picking up roach of varying sizes.
Image00011.jpg Image00008.jpg

Nothing to write home about but pleasant enough fishing - I also got pestered by gudgeon which can be a bloody nuisance when they arrive and my usual tactic when they do is to either just go and fish a different line or feed more heavily in the hope that either (a) you'll feed them off or (b) the heavier feed may attract bigger fish which will drive them off.
Image00005.jpg

Neither worked initially so I concentrated on my margin line - I was getting 'iffy' bites which I thought were probably due to small fish and could I hell make contact with one and then when i did hit one I found i was attached to the first carp of the day - only a pound and a half or so but a carp nonetheless.

Image00003.jpg

That line went quiet so I switched across to the aerator and got another of almost exactly the same size.

I got a third on my 2+2 line which I had rigged up with Zipp Hybrid 10/12 and it don't half stretch a long way - but I never felt it was on the verge of bottoming out and, as it says on the tin, it is ideal with puller kits. I was also pleasantly surprised that even a 2oz roach would extend the elastic enough to prevent the slack line that can cause small fish to drop off whilst unshipping.

The aerator proved to be unsuccessful so I concentrated on the 2+2 line whilst continuing to drip feed the margin line.
I'm pretty poor at counting fish but did get 19 roach and some gudgeon in 35 minutes
Image00010.jpg Image00009.jpg

One final carp came from the margin line - it was moving very slowly so I initially thought it could be a big fish

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

It turned out it was only about 3lb but really fat with a small tail - photo doesn't do it justice - it was shaped like a rugby ball.

Image00004.jpg

I wrapped in about 3pm as it was already getting dark due to the fog and low cloud - and the cold was just beginning to seep through the various layers.
Four carp for about eight or nine pounds and probably a similar weight of silvers - not the best day I've had down at Renny but a long way from being the worst.

Lots of bird life to entertain me too - frequent serenades by this fella and his mates.
Image00006.jpg
I'm pretty sure all they do is squawk - loudly and constantly. At least the chickens are a good deal quieter.

Also had this aggressive little chap begging for maggots

Image00012.jpg

I'd chuck a handful of maggots on the path and he'd fly down from his perch in the bush, eat a couple and then sit watching
Every time another bird landed - chaffinch or spuggie - he'd chase 'em off and then eat another maggot before returning to his perch.
He did it four or five times so I flung a few on the grass behind me - that satisfied the other birds but confused the robin - he didn't know whether to chase 'em or keep his eyes on 'his' maggots :p

Next trip will be Dromonby for our Christmas match in a fortnight.

Simon

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
After a couple of blank pike sessions and some less than inspiring river trips I need some action so headed down to Renny Lakes yesterday.

It was a cold, foggy morning although fortunately frost free - I arrived about 8.30am and initially wondered if the place was shut as mine was the only car in the car-park :oops:
I headed straight across to the peg on the silvers lake I've drawn in our last two matches - both took place in the colder weather and on both occasions I caught carp so I reckoned it was a fairly safe assumption that there would be one or two in the area.
Image00013.jpg

Image00014.jpg

I set up three top kits to fish down along the margin on the right, across to the aerator and a light 2+2 rig straight in front. All three lines had produced carp on my last visit although the margin had been by far the most productive. Bait-wise I had some fresh maggots, some very old and half-dead pinkies that had been fridged for six weeks, corn and various pellets - I also knocked up a bit of groundbait - 50/50 Boland Black Roach (more for colour than anything else) and Sonubait Thatchers. I had a quick couple of minutes fishing each of the lines just with maggot on the hook to check for resident fish - I got a tentative bite on the 2+2 line but no sign of anything on either of the others.

I dropped a bit of groundbait, a few pellets and some maggot on each line before starting on the 2+2 line - just flicking maggots sparingly at the float by hand with single maggot on the hook I soon started picking up roach of varying sizes.
Image00011.jpg Image00008.jpg

Nothing to write home about but pleasant enough fishing - I also got pestered by gudgeon which can be a bloody nuisance when they arrive and my usual tactic when they do is to either just go and fish a different line or feed more heavily in the hope that either (a) you'll feed them off or (b) the heavier feed may attract bigger fish which will drive them off.
Image00005.jpg

Neither worked initially so I concentrated on my margin line - I was getting 'iffy' bites which I thought were probably due to small fish and could I hell make contact with one and then when i did hit one I found i was attached to the first carp of the day - only a pound and a half or so but a carp nonetheless.

Image00003.jpg

That line went quiet so I switched across to the aerator and got another of almost exactly the same size.

I got a third on my 2+2 line which I had rigged up with Zipp Hybrid 10/12 and it don't half stretch a long way - but I never felt it was on the verge of bottoming out and, as it says on the tin, it is ideal with puller kits. I was also pleasantly surprised that even a 2oz roach would extend the elastic enough to prevent the slack line that can cause small fish to drop off whilst unshipping.

The aerator proved to be unsuccessful so I concentrated on the 2+2 line whilst continuing to drip feed the margin line.
I'm pretty poor at counting fish but did get 19 roach and some gudgeon in 35 minutes
Image00010.jpg Image00009.jpg

One final carp came from the margin line - it was moving very slowly so I initially thought it could be a big fish

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

It turned out it was only about 3lb but really fat with a small tail - photo doesn't do it justice - it was shaped like a rugby ball.

Image00004.jpg

I wrapped in about 3pm as it was already getting dark due to the fog and low cloud - and the cold was just beginning to seep through the various layers.
Four carp for about eight or nine pounds and probably a similar weight of silvers - not the best day I've had down at Renny but a long way from being the worst.

Lots of bird life to entertain me too - frequent serenades by this fella and his mates.
Image00006.jpg
I'm pretty sure all they do is squawk - loudly and constantly. At least the chickens are a good deal quieter.

Also had this aggressive little chap begging for maggots

Image00012.jpg

I'd chuck a handful of maggots on the path and he'd fly down from his perch in the bush, eat a couple and then sit watching
Every time another bird landed - chaffinch or spuggie - he'd chase 'em off and then eat another maggot before returning to his perch.
He did it four or five times so I flung a few on the grass behind me - that satisfied the other birds but confused the robin - he didn't know whether to chase 'em or keep his eyes on 'his' maggots :p

Next trip will be Dromonby for our Christmas match in a fortnight.

Simon
Thats a lovely days fishing and a lovely report in any ones books.