Some people just aren’t satisfied

Sportsman

Site Supporter
i was a member of Chelmsford AA many moons ago and you could turn up on a Friday afternoon and have zero chance of getting a swim, used to be many aborted trips! but i never moaned as the club decided how many tickets to sell and i pay my money to be a member not to get my fav sim every time i fished

thats the whole reason for having more than one ticket/choice of place to go, one of the lakes i would fish perhaps 4 times a year
Do Chelmsford AA still have Boreham mere? I fished it in the 1960s, I loved that place. It was the first place I fished an all night session. Caught my PB carp of 6lb 6oz on slow sinking breadflake (I know that because it was all we ever used)
It also was where I caught my first 10lb pike on a spun sprat.
Great memories :giggle:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Frustration on my part clouding my view then - I really want to get on a water and cannot whilst someone who can can’t be bothered as it’s a bit tricky.

River it is in the week then

Spadger123

It makes me laugh when anglers (mainly the carp brigade) bemoan winter stating the carp have switched off.
They haven't they just don't feed like they do in summer and move to other areas of the water. All the best carp anglers I know love winter, they say (not my words) that it gets rid of the numpties and big bait bills go out the window, they catch big fish in winter and the very best, the likes of Terry Hearne and others catch throughout the year, why?
Because they put the work and hours in that others cant be bothered doing.
I know one particular lad who fishes the Weaver all year round, he puts lots of time and research into the river and catches some phenomenal fish, he told one lad a few years back where he'd caught a decent specimen, went back a week later and the bank was full of idiots firing boilies in yards from each other, he keeps his gob shut now.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
It makes me laugh when anglers (mainly the carp brigade) bemoan winter stating the carp have switched off.
They haven't they just don't feed like they do in summer and move to other areas of the water. All the best carp anglers I know love winter, they say (not my words) that it gets rid of the numpties and big bait bills go out the window, they catch big fish in winter and the very best, the likes of Terry Hearne and others catch throughout the year, why?
I know one particular lad who fishes the Weaver all year round, he puts lots of time and research into the river and catches some phenomenal fish, he told one lad a few years back where he'd caught a decent specimen, went back a week later and the bank was full of idiots firing boilies in yards from each other, he keeps his gob shut now.
We all caught carp on Sunlight's waters last week & on different methods. I got a nice one by dobbing bread shallow & two mates on the opposite bank both had three each, fishing maggot or corn on the bottom.

Spadger123

@Landlord.
The Ports waters are well stocked mate, they, like you said do not get pressured and TBF they are not specimen waters and therefore do not attract the boilie brigade.
They are though magical little ponds that I've fished on numerous occasions with some of the Port lads I match fish with, mainly evening knock ups for a quid a man.
Wait till we get a few heavy frosts and they go gin clear, they can be hard then.
Jamie Hughes cut his teeth on those ponds by the way, he used to batter us even then when he was a nipper.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

It would be daft to say that bigger Carp don't slow in winter. Not everyone wants to sit and wait the extra hours for a specimen fish. In winter I still see people fishing the specimen pool at a fishery I fish, but very few fish get caught, personally I'm happier to fish for smaller carp on the match lake.

Spadger123

But they do not "switch off" Zerkalo, they feed at different times of the day and in different temperatures.
A bit of homework, keep an eye on weather for temperature and air pressure, find their winter haunts and fish at the right time with sensible amounts of bait and you will catch.
They are living creatures so have to eat.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
But they do not "switch off" Zerkalo, they feed at different times of the day and in different temperatures.
A bit of homework, keep an eye on weather for temperature and air pressure, find their winter haunts and fish at the right time with sensible amounts of bait and you will catch.
They are living creatures so have to eat.

They also often take on different colours and are beautiful fish in clearer water, I don't think you can laugh at anglers who choose to fish easier waters come winter though!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
@Landlord.
The Ports waters are well stocked mate, they, like you said do not get pressured and TBF they are not specimen waters and therefore do not attract the boilie brigade.
They are though magical little ponds that I've fished on numerous occasions with some of the Port lads I match fish with, mainly evening knock ups for a quid a man.
Wait till we get a few heavy frosts and they go gin clear, they can be hard then.
Jamie Hughes cut his teeth on those ponds by the way, he used to batter us even then when he was a nipper.
He's still an honorary member. Funnily enough, only yesterday he asked to join our facebook group & was accepted. Hopefully we can get some good tips off him :)
He won a match at Yew Tree, week before last. 120lb off peg 1

Deejay8

Site Supporter
If he chooses to fish the lakes for carp in the Summer, and then moves on to commercials to carry on catching carp in the Winter, that's his choice. His membership doesn't dictate that he must fish all year round. I'm sure there are some members of the club who are only Summer/Fair Weather fisherman, and don't fish at all in Winter. It's up to them. It's frustrating for you that you would love to fish it and catch a net of the silvers, that he can't be bothered with. But it's just the way it is. Get your name on the waiting list, and hope it gets to the top sooner rather than later.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
They also often take on different colours and are beautiful fish in clearer water, I don't think you can laugh at anglers who choose to fish easier waters come winter though!

Oh I think I can - I’ve served too many hours fishing matches with icicles forming off my nose and losing the feeling in various regions but still catching.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If he chooses to fish the lakes for carp in the Summer, and then moves on to commercials to carry on catching carp in the Winter, that's his choice. His membership doesn't dictate that he must fish all year round. I'm sure there are some members of the club who are only Summer/Fair Weather fisherman, and don't fish at all in Winter. It's up to them. It's frustrating for you that you would love to fish it and catch a net of the silvers, that he can't be bothered with. But it's just the way it is. Get your name on the waiting list, and hope it gets to the top sooner rather than later.

Put my name on the list - yes

Hold out any hope of joining before I die - no

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
It can work the opposite way round though. Our club has just short of 400 members, but over the last couple of days there's only been 3 or 4 down fishing. Plenty of pegs to go at and nobody fishing them...wierd.
It had 450 until you shot them for breaking the rules :army:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Oh I think I can - I’ve served too many hours fishing matches with icicles forming off my nose and losing the feeling in various regions but still catching.

Done it myself. Ice breaking on canals but never catching much. Not saying it's not possible but for the most part Winter fishing is difficult, so for me it's easier waters from now on until about March. I'm just not up for winter scratching as it would be on a lot places anymore, if that makes me something risible then so be it!

solwood

Site Supporter
I am a member of two clubs, one I fish their river stretches 4 to 5 times a year tops, mostly fish my other clubs waters.

Never fished one lake on one ticket and any lakes on the other

Dont feel guilty, rarely fish day ticket waters, you pays your money you takes your choice

No waiting list for either though

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
that wasnt what he was referring too so i replied based on what he was referring too but you are correct of course, just didnt see a need to state that as its obvious

Another issue being we’ve been asked not to travel unless it’s essential ?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
no idea to be honest, havnt been a member for donkeys and only moved back to Essex a few weeks ago.

Do Chelmsford AA still have Boreham mere? I fished it in the 1960s, I loved that place. It was the first place I fished an all night session. Caught my PB carp of 6lb 6oz on slow sinking breadflake (I know that because it was all we ever used)

squimp

Site Supporter
According to their website , yes they do.

I fished it in the 80’s when it held 2, possibly 3 different 30lb pike. It took me a year to catch one of them and when I did it weighed 16lb. It was46” long and like an eel with a pikes head on it.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Yes they do M8

Brian