Some people just aren’t satisfied

OldTaff

Site Supporter
After this morning‘s successful session I headed into town for some hooks and bits - tackle shop is doing “click & collect”, well it’s doing stand outside and talk to the guy in the doorway who brings it out to you ;)

A conversation started with the shop guy and a customer in front of me buying supplies for a commercial session 30 miles away tomorrow whilst bemoaning the fact that the lakes the other side of town were fishing too hard and he couldn’t be ar**d catching silvers now the carp had switched off.

When he left I queried the shop guy about this lake and it turns out it’s one of a complex of 4 lakes I already knew about - the club has a waiting list of over 340 names, about a 5 year wait (unless COVID gets its act together).

It annoyed me that a member of a club with great facilities and massively oversubscribed would not bother to fish their own waters when there are obviously so many who would jump at the chance to get on the bank there, me included, no matter how hard it was fishing.

What do some people want FFS? I just want to fish a nice local mixed lake but can’t get on it even though those who can fish it cannot be bothered :mad:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It can work the opposite way round though. Our club has just short of 400 members, but over the last couple of days there's only been 3 or 4 down fishing. Plenty of pegs to go at and nobody fishing them...wierd.

squimp

Site Supporter
There is also the point that once you have a ticket, you hold onto it. Otherwise if you drop it you go down to the end of the waiting list If you ever want to rejoin.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
dont see any issue, pay your money and make your choice, means more swims left for the other members so see it as a win personally

OldTaff

Site Supporter
dont see any issue, pay your money and make your choice, means more swims left for the other members so see it as a win personally

The issue is there are over 300 people on a membership waiting list who obviously WOULD like the chance to fish the waters but don’t have the opportunity due to membership being filled with anglers who could but can’t be bothered because it takes a bit more effort than travelling (against Covid guidelines) to an overstocked carp puddle :cautious:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
so? he is a member, if he just fishes the warm months thats entirely up to him, the memebership ticket/rules do not dictate how many times people have to fish does it?

if the club are bothered about it they would make it a rules you have to fish once every month which no club in the world do as far as i know, people pay their money and can fish as much/little as they want

The Landlord

Site Supporter
It can work the opposite way round though. Our club has just short of 400 members, but over the last couple of days there's only been 3 or 4 down fishing. Plenty of pegs to go at and nobody fishing them...wierd.
That's because they've heard about some nutter who's always walking round the fields with a rifle.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Have to agree with Ginge
My clubs pools have switched off this year and I have had days with just a couple of other anglers or to myself - the same applies to the Severn.

Time is precious to most people and many struggle to go,like the idea of having a venue to just drop on or the freedom to go elsewhere so they can catch.

squimp

Site Supporter
Some of us hold tickets for several waters so that we can fish for different fish in different places at different times.

I can’t be in two places at once.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i was a member of Chelmsford AA many moons ago and you could turn up on a Friday afternoon and have zero chance of getting a swim, used to be many aborted trips! but i never moaned as the club decided how many tickets to sell and i pay my money to be a member not to get my fav sim every time i fished

thats the whole reason for having more than one ticket/choice of place to go, one of the lakes i would fish perhaps 4 times a year

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That is true and at one time for my angling diversity I held four club books and an association book.

squimp

Site Supporter
I fish mostly in the winter too.

That means there is one less person (member) fishing ‘your’ water in the Summer when it is busy.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Our club has 500 members & we have 12 ponds on our doorstep. You can go some days & be the only person on the main group of ponds all day.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I have to agree with ginger. One can assume that not everybody who has a ticket for those lakes fishes only there, and fishes there on every occasion they can. Lots must go elsewhere at times, surely?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The club I want to join has such a small membership (not sure of the total numbers but it is small) that most of their venues retain an under-fished feel. With the exception of a stretch of Severn they own which is dayticket and heavily fished, I am glad they allow daytickets though as it means I can fish it. Their other main venues are a Tench lake and a Bream reservoir, both of which I can bet are even quieter over winter. So part of me wishes they took on more members but I will enjoy the exclusivity when I finally get to join.