Some easy Stour roach fishing last week....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The thread tiitle got me going then... thought it was the Suffolk Stour....

david white

Site Supporter
Mark
thoroughly enjoyed the video like all things those that do it well make it look so simple !

MarkW

The thread tiitle got me going then... thought it was the Suffolk Stour....
No, this is classic Owen Wentworth territory - the stretch that he used to boat fish back in the 60s and 70s, sometimes featured on Out of Town.

MarkW

Mark
thoroughly enjoyed the video like all things those that do it well make it look so simple !
Pleased you enjoyed it; I think I've found a cameraman as someone who did some photography with me a decade ago when we both retired has re-retired (he had to go back to work for the money) and he's up for trying some video work. It should make a massive difference and we'll get more wildlife shots to put in.

lliopp

Site Supporter
A31 traffic actually moving, it must be winter.
Why not just use a longer rod to make swinging etc easier?

MarkW

A31 traffic actually moving, it must be winter.
Why not just use a longer rod to make swinging etc easier?
It wasn't always moving!
I prefer 13ft rods and I have yet to find a longer rod I really want. This swim is one of the deepest that I fish on the Stour for roach though there are deeper swims on the river. I do have a Normark Avenger 2000 with the 2ft extension though that is harder work to fish with but at 13ft ideal for this sort of fishing.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I think that your missing a trick, my favourite length of rod would be 12, but for those deeper areas a 14 just makes life easy. I am of the the opinion that a 13 ft rod is a compromise. I could easily never use a 13 float/waggler/match rod again.
Last time I fished the stour was in that area, could only catch bleak. Mind you that was 25 year's ago.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice one Mark. Lovely video. 👍

When we used to go across to Denmark to fish the river Guden we needed floats capable of fishing in 14 - 16 foot of water. I haven't any now but, we made ourselves some sliding stick floats. The only thing was, the knot hampered your underarm cast ever so slightly. Maybe worth you buying a couple of suitable floats and whipping a couple of side eyes on. Just a thought. Good luck. 👍

MarkW

I think that your missing a trick, my favourite length of rod would be 12, but for those deeper areas a 14 just makes life easy. I am of the the opinion that a 13 ft rod is a compromise. I could easily never use a 13 float/waggler/match rod again.
Last time I fished the stour was in that area, could only catch bleak. Mind you that was 25 year's ago.
I've dug out a Preston 14ft Sentient so next time I'll try that though the action is slower/soft than the Allerton.

PoddyPaul

It wasn't always moving!
I prefer 13ft rods and I have yet to find a longer rod I really want. This swim is one of the deepest that I fish on the Stour for roach though there are deeper swims on the river. I do have a Normark Avenger 2000 with the 2ft extension though that is harder work to fish with but at 13ft ideal for this sort of fishing.
Hi, do you still have your Avenger 2000 and / or extension. And do you want to consider selling. Cheers