Softer hook baits on the method feeder

Whixall

Afternoon Gents.

Curious as to how you guys would approach the challenge of fishing softer hook baits on the method feeder? You see all these you tube videos of perfectly loaded feeders but nearly always 2mm or ground bait but with a hard hook bait.

Some days convinced a softer hook bait is what they want, and had some joy with hair rigged corn and meat, but if I'm honest feeder never loaded as neatly as I'd like and doubt very much it is making it to the bottom intact as hook bait breaking up the ground bait on the feeder, even worse with 2mm.

So! How would you guys go about fishing worm, for example, on the hook but keeping an immaculately loaded method feeder?

Or do you just switch to a cage feeder rig??

Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Worm might be a challenge but it’s doable with maggot you just got to squeeze hard although tbh with a short hooklink I don’t think you really need to bury your hookbait in it.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Use worm on the method all the time,just trap the line above the hook into the method mix.

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
This is a good video on fishing the method feeder and he uses an expander as hook bait.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Usually the opposite and I prefer a firmer mix which makes the fish attack the feeder.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Worm might be a challenge but it’s doable with maggot you just got to squeeze hard although tbh with a short hooklink I don’t think you really need to bury your hookbait in it.
The whole point of the method is that the fish find 1 hook bait bang in the middle of a pile of loose feed , 4 inches away, isn’t good enough , it’s defeating the purpose

Whixall

Usually the opposite and I prefer a firmer mix which makes the fish attack the feeder.
Would you double skin the feeder in that case? You hooking the worm or hair rig?

I appreciate expanded are a soft hook bait, but guess I'm comfortable putting them under more pressure when loading the feeder than something like meat or worm.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not really,just a little extra where the line will be trapped.
My first choice for larger Carp is a fin feeder and whole or meatball sections.
The bites can be insane when they are on the feed.

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
The whole point of the method is that the fish find 1 hook bait bang in the middle of a pile of loose feed , 4 inches away, isn’t good enough , it’s defeating the purpose
Afternoon Gents.

Curious as to how you guys would approach the challenge of fishing softer hook baits on the method feeder? You see all these you tube videos of perfectly loaded feeders but nearly always 2mm or ground bait but with a hard hook bait.

Some days convinced a softer hook bait is what they want, and had some joy with hair rigged corn and meat, but if I'm honest feeder never loaded as neatly as I'd like and doubt very much it is making it to the bottom intact as hook bait breaking up the ground bait on the feeder, even worse with 2mm.

So! How would you guys go about fishing worm, for example, on the hook but keeping an immaculately loaded method feeder?

Or do you just switch to a cage feeder rig??

Cheers
I think with most brands doing some kind inter change systems it's so easy to fish the method that's going to work for you on the day.be it the method or pellet feeder,as to using softer hook baits I do agree that on some days a hair rigged expander works well.if only a pleasure session try a hair rigged bait and worm on the hook,I used to do this at whiteacres with good results.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

True, I do bury the hook myself but I’m not sure if with a really short hooklength it would make a massive difference as I’m sure the groundbait spreads a little anyway? Maybe not so much with pellets I guess. That said I haven’t used them on the typical method venues so is a different scenario.

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
True, I do bury the hook myself but I’m not sure if with a really short hooklength it would make a massive difference as I’m sure the groundbait spreads a little anyway? Maybe not so much with pellets I guess. That said I haven’t used them on the typical method venues so is a different scenario.
It's all about experimentation.if you think your groundbait is not reaching the bottom pack it on and then apply a little water smoothed over the feeder.it will definitely get to the bottom and take longer to break down.its all about trying things yourself and gaining confidence in what goes on under the surface.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
There are or have been two underwater videos showing that plain pellets (Skrettings?) on the Method feeder are dislodged when hitting the water. Hence I would not use pellets on the Method. Coppens pellets are too sticky thus I think that it is Jamie Hughes that recommends using a mix of the two brands. Alternative is to use a groundbait and pellet mix.

The pellet feeder was invented specifically to replace the Method when the angler wants to use pellets.

No reason why there should be any issues other than the above when using baits like maggot (dead), meat (polony is better than luncheon meat as it is firmer), corn though I have to admit I have never tried worm but see no reason why it should cause an issue unless it is too large or too lively. Packed into a pellet feeder worm should survive the cast and the feeder reach the bottom with bait still packed in.

I always double skin groundbait on the Method.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I tried some new expanders today (well new to me anyway). Sonubait Pro, Ready to Use expanders. Although I was fishing the pole, the blurb says they're suitable for the feeder as well. I was quite impressed & had a few fish on them. They're quite firm & don't come off when you miss a bite. 6mm's & 8mm's available in various flavours. I opted for red krill & they're £2.99 for a 100g tub which should last quite a few sessions unless you're a bagging machine like Chefster.

Marker50

Site Supporter
I use banded corn on method 99% of time same bait usualy for a few fish.
As for pellets coming off if i make a cast i,m not happy with and reel in fast many times the bait is still under the pellets.
I have the bait about halfway down feeder.
Pellets very sticky .
And a dust of dry groundbait to stop any sticking in mould

Marker50

Site Supporter
I dont think the bait makes much differance on the method ie taste etc
So i stick to one that stays on.
Not many small fish.
And hooks fish easy.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Not tried this myself but guru did some clips that fitted onto their method feeders for you to trap the line in.

I would be tempted to try one of these burying the line and leaving the soft hook bait popping out the bottom of the feeder so as not to squash it and preventin it from tangling around the feeder on the cast.
As the pellets start to expand off the feeder they will cover the soft hook bait. One carp grubbing around is bound to pick it up. (y)