Social Dilemma

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
What a brilliant Documentary.

It shows how social media controls people and their lives so easily, how it programs you without you even realising, how its algorithms read your posts, likes, private messages and, using those, how it directs you towards other stuff, links you with things, posts, people, groups etc that you wouldn't have looked for without the algorithm.

It shows how you will see local news/articles that only you see and the other people in the room with you won't see on their feeds because they don't use the same words, react to the same stuff, look at the same groups etc, it really is fascinating how it is used manipulate people using fake news etc.

It creates "new links" when people share something like a tweet or public post onto things like MD, someone posts a tweet, facebook post, facebook video etc and people click on it, that then creates a new link and whilst they are online it studies your/their interactions/behaviour and creates a new algorithm to keep them connected/interested, it's made even easier on mobiles/tablets because people rarely log out or clean their cookies etc so it can keep following them and keep reading their "footprint".

If you do plan on watching it, a word of advice it's one of those programs you need to be able to watch with 2 things,

1) no distractions

2) an open mind.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

I was trying and failing to have a discussion with a guy in one of the groups on FB about the documentary, one of his replies was "don't believe it they are just trying to scare you off using social media, it's impossible to make someone think something they wouldn't normally think just using words"

Yet, the same guy (an American) believes what Trump has said about a "stolen election" and he has a "creepy joe the peado" picture on his facebook wall!!

spc123

Great watch

made my kids watch it - don’t mind them using social media as inevitable. Just want them to understand the idea of echo chambers and how they can be manipulated

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
The only social media I am on is this site which is a forum. No fookbook, twatter, vuvo, grabagranny etc etc etc. No need to try and build my friends or watchers or followers like a lot of the saddos I know.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The only social media I am on is this site which is a forum. No fookbook, twatter, vuvo, grabagranny etc etc etc. No need to try and build my friends or watchers or followers like a lot of the saddos I know.
Exactly same as me.
some of the things my kids tell or show me make me 🤯.
Sorry. Got what’s app. 👍

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
This is the only forum I use as well, I wonder if there's an algorithm pointing me to Bobco.

breadflake

Site Supporter
Like you this is the only forum I use but the popup adds come mainly from the
WD-40 Company based in San Diego :)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Couple of forums and a facebook group for my old motorbike club.. but I rarely post on the faecesbook group

Silver fan 82

Will give this a watch although apart from here I don't really use social media. I only use FB to keep up to date with the fishing clubs posts but don't post on it. Is you tube classed as social media?

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Will give this a watch although apart from here I don't really use social media. I only use FB to keep up to date with the fishing clubs posts but don't post on it. Is you tube classed as social media?
I don't think it is. Isn't it classed as a viewing platform. A bit like whatsapp which I do have but only as it's an easy way to send photos from jobs on site etc and it's free.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
As others have said this forum is the only social media I use, thought about FB for information regarding my angling clubs but
do I really want to go down that route?

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
As others have said this forum is the only social media I use, thought about FB for information regarding my angling clubs but
do I really want to go down that route?
I look on FB sometimes for fishing info and match results as a lot of venues don't update their web sites anymore just their FB page. It's easy to look at the posts which is all I want to do. But it keeps prompting me to join which I won't do. What annoys me is that fisheries wrongly assume that everyone in the World is on the damn thing.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Yes youtube is a social media platform, it is also mentioned in the social dilemma as they allow the uploading of user content and they run advertisements to pay the bills, again, they have similar algorithms to track users, see what they watch, how long they are "engaged" by videos, adverts etc.

As i have already said, you don't have to post on any of the social media sites, you can watch videos, read tweets, click links from somewhere like this site and they will start running algorithms to ensure you are tagretted with what they decide you need to see, even google does it, it reads the cookies on your system, sees what you have mentioned and then checks how you have worded your search before giving you the results.

It's all very very clever, and when you have people who have worked on, designed, controlled these sites and their algorithms admitting some of the stuff they do, it shows that no matter how clever you think you are, no matter what programs you have running, they can and will get into your computer and "lead you".

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I look on FB sometimes for fishing info and match results as a lot of venues don't update their web sites anymore just their FB page. It's easy to look at the posts which is all I want to do. But it keeps prompting me to join which I won't do. What annoys me is that fisheries wrongly assume that everyone in the World is on the damn thing.
It amazes me how some businesses run their business entirely on Facebook, no website, all sales and promotions via FB, contact built up via FB, everything on that platform.
And when FB throws a wobble and decides that you've infringed on some distant rule or another, or someone decides they don't like your business, or hacks it, that everything is lost, gone, kapput.

They have no control over their business content, contacts, even backups, even design as recently shown with the new style layouts. And the best of all, competitors can even advertise on your business pages.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Saw this and think I thought along the lines of, would I prefer humans or algorithms to have my data? Something tells me I'm safer with the latter, for now anyway.