Soaking micros

Steve49

Overheard some anglers talking about soaking micros pellets overnight to use on the method, is this right will they not just go to mush?
How do you guys prepare micros for use on the method in a stillwater
Thanks.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Depends on the manufacturer and the batch as even from the same production line they may require different treatment.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends on the brand I’d have thought. I was using some on the Thames a couple weeks ago that went a bit mushy in the bait box when the heavens opened but were largely ok again when they dried.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I guess I should say that if Skrettings and dark colour then they will safely soak overnight but on the morning will do. Just add enough water to wet the top layer and leave.

Coppens pellets go very sticky and can, in my experience turn to mush if oversoaked. Best just to drain them off after a minute or two.

But pellets alone on a Method are not recommended as they can come off when hitting the water. You can get round this by using a mixture of Coppens and Skrettings or adding a binder like Horlics or groundbait. Or as I prefer, use a pellet feeder or Banjo.

Pete.a

Overheard some anglers talking about soaking micros pellets overnight to use on the method, is this right will they not just go to mush?
How do you guys prepare micros for use on the method in a stillwater
Thanks.

I usually follow the manufacturers guide...rule of thumb is one minute per mm.
So I soak 2 mm for 2 mins, drain off and let them stand whilst I set up... remember it's easier to add than take

Last edited by a moderator:

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
i tried soaking robin red 2mm, epic failure.

even doused for 30 seconds they go incredibly sticky and take ages to dry off and go fluffy.

use them dry as loose feed now when fishing down the edge.

D

Deleted member 21081

If using skrettings a great mix is 2:2:1

That is 2 parts micros
2 parts water
1 part groundbait such as match method mix

Mix pellets and groundbait dry first, add water, mix and leave (overnight would be fine if in a sealed bag or container).

This creates a superb method feeder mix.

As stated above coppens pellets need a quick soak and really need to be done at the bank side as they are more difficult to prepare.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If using skrettings a great mix is 2:2:1

That is 2 parts micros
2 parts water
1 part groundbait such as match method mix

Mix pellets and groundbait dry first, add water, mix and leave (overnight would be fine if in a sealed bag or container).

This creates a superb method feeder mix.

As stated above coppens pellets need a quick soak and really need to be done at the bank side as they are more difficult to prepare.

And yes, this works well. :upthumb:

Paul22

I usually have to use fishery pellets if not I like the dynamite baits pellets...... I use the rule of soak 2 mm pellets for 2 minutes and 4 mm for 4 minutes then tip the water away...z. I always add a bit of scopex to the water.
I find 4 mm pellets seem to degrade faster than 2mm so I’m more careful with 4mm.
Quite often I forget to empty them on time and they soak longer than planned but they are usually ok.
I never do a full bag I prefer to do enough for 2 to 3 hrs fishing and do some more if and when required...... my reasoning here is two fold number one I don’t like wasting them it costs money and i simply hate waste. And two the Pellets can dry out and start to not stick to the feeder or in the 4mm case they can go to mush so I like to do them 2 or 3 times a day .
Hope this helps ?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use Skrettings micros, I place some in a bait box, cover with water, wait for one minute then empty out the water, I then decant the soaked pellets into a different bait box as left in the original one I found the bottom pellets got very mushy. I add some to prepared groundbait if using a feeder.