So, what's the verdict?

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
It’s a great forum with great people who are on hand to help others & give advice. Keep up the great work?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
One improvement I would like to see, if possible, is a spell checker (no doubt this will make Peter chuckle).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Most browsers now have a spell-check built into them - if you google your browser name and spellchecker you should see the options availalbe ( ;) )

The best I find which works across most browsers is:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
most app and sites you can just right click on any word and it will tell you the correct spelling now, makes it a lot faster!

angel

Site Supporter
It just wouldn't be life as we know it without my daily look-ins. I don't often post but it's very entertaining and sometimes for the right reasons.
Still a couple of irksome things...
Overuse of quotes which make a thread much longer than it needs to be.
Too much getting off topic. Often the same individuals hijacking a thread with their own petty personal feuds. Take it to pm chaps, we dont need it or want it.
There should be a yellow card for personal attacks/insults followed by a red... you're blocked from that thread.
Dave and mods you've all done very well...

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The forum software is very usable and continues to improve.
I've seen a different forum (on cycling) go completely the other way with a disasterous upgrade that meant navigation was really time consuming and a lot of people stopped posting.

It's definitely the most active angling forum that I'm aware of (I noted last year that MFS shut down - which was mainly a breakaway group from here originally iirc).
The strength of the forums is the number and diversity of views - it can get a bit heated at times, nuance of meaning can be lost in typed wordings - especially if posted in haste. I don't have a problem with threads drifting off topic - as that is what most conversations do in real life.
The Mods do a great job in keeping things lively but applying (just) enough of a brake.

The two things that I would like to see are a both around the behaviour / language of posters - a little bit of moderation and "think before you post" (sometimes guilty myself ;)) :
1. using generalisations to describe a whole group of people based on the most extreme part of a diverse group - as that just causes friction. (after all - all carp anglers are rowdy hooligans :rolleyes:)
2. attacking posters on the basis of their past posts, which you may disagree with, when there is merit in the point they are making now.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
(I noted last year that MFS shut down - which was mainly a breakaway group from here originally iirc).

Not quite right Alex, MFS was actually set up by a group that were regulars on Total Fishing and as far as I'm aware is still active in a slightly different format although I believe the ownership has changed hands

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I had no problems with the old system and no problems with this. Maggot Drowners has a unique ability to bring together different spectrums of all Social life and status to a common good - fishing and helping each other - may it long continue especially without the petty backbiting and one upmanship displayed at times

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Not quite right Alex, MFS was actually set up by a group that were regulars on Total Fishing and as far as I'm aware is still active in a slightly different format although I believe the ownership has changed hands
You're correct of course Peter, and Total fishing has gone down the pan as a forum as well

The Runner

Site Supporter
You're correct of course Peter, and Total fishing has gone down the pan as a forum as well
And i.m.o what caused TF to go downhill as quickly as it did was a handful of posters who in the end were injecting their own personal vendettas into virtually every thread whatever the subject matter.
Thankfully this forum is much better moderated- at least two of the main culprits from TF have been banned from here.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unfortunately a lot of fishing forums have come and gone over the course of the past 20 years.
It's not that hard to launch a forum. it's maintaining it that presents the challenge and dealing with the growth if it takes off.
A great hosting package and the associated technical support is an absolute must, and increased traffic and the ability to handle it inevitably bumps the cost of that. couple that to a user friendly platform that's easy to use on a range of devices and you're heading in the right direction.
Above all though, It's the users and their interaction with others that make any forum what it is. as they are the ones who provide the content which generates the interest.
Inevitably members come and members go, it's maintaining an upward trend over a period of time that dictates the success or otherwise. ;)

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Thanks, I will do. Having a little problem this end trying to see screen now. My hair is falling over my eyes. Might have to use Son in Law's dog clippers and let wife cut my hair. Can see it going eventually to a razor and bald, will have to wear a cap like Mr Spence. :ROFLMAO::devilish:

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
well, I use firefox, followed your instructions, and the spell check box is already ticked, and notice that it states taht you have to type a line before it will correct misstakes, so a few mystakes going in, and afarod that it isn't correcting.

You have to accprt my posts as they are I'm afarid.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Or you could opt for one of these.........
1587724424478.png
Baseball Cap
A quality breathable Sports Baseball Cap embroidered with the Maggotdrowning Logo on the front.. £9.95 :upthumb: