So, this Pole malarkey...

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Well I have gone and done it. Bought a pole that is. @Fishfinderuk had a brand new Middy Reactacore 10m margin pole 2 ghost top sections all elasticated with side pullers up for grabs. So I grabbed it and picked it up today. Now what? I have rollers and and rigs kindly donated by fantastic fellow members @Peter and @Scribe
What else do I need? Cup thing for the end of the pole, are these one size fits all? The elastics are apparently 11 and 13, no idea what that means.
No I don't want a new seat box, but I am guessing I will need new rests? Honestly, I have not a scooby doo, I have not even put the thing together yet!
Guidance please... (y)

Munchy

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Get a pole sock...Guru Reaper are the best because it's two socks plus the middle acts as a tulip to grab your pole while you're down to your topkit. You don't really need rests as well if you have a sock & a roller. As for cups, the Matrix or Preston cadpots are good. Just clip them to the pole tip. Only about £5.99

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Eh up chip,

Have you read Neil's guide here I found it very useful when I started pole fishing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pole pots are more use to you than a cupping kit, plus if you get the soft silicone type you can put the larger ones on and off and use as a small cup if needed

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
So, Guru Reaper bought and Middy Gripper pots. All the gear and absolutely no idea. I have a book kindly donated that will be read tonight and the guide @Scribe mentioned will also be scoured tonight.
I won't have time to get out for a couple of weeks anyway. Shooting with @Mrs Munch on Sunday (wish me luck in surviving that) and work commitments that will take a lot of time up. I do need to get up to speed though as we are heading to Sand Le Mare in June for a week and I would love to take the new pole for us both to enjoy.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Elastics? What the hell is this in breaking strain? I'm old school and have not yet fathomed .22 etc and still rely on pounds as a guide.
So, the new pole. It is kitted out with 11 and 13. I doubt very much this is corresponding to the line that could be used in Lbs. Is there a formula to work this out? You must excuse my ignorance but I know sod all about pole. Put me on a waggler or feeder then I am a happy man. This is totally alien and I now know how @Mrs Munch must feel when I am trying to guide her.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Pole fishing is just another way of catching fish and a very enjoyable one at that.
All the info is on youtube loads of good anglers providing all the basic knowledge to get you going.
I have some experience with the pole having been fishing one since the 1980's, I would say the most important thing for those new to pole fishing is your seating position and arrangment of tackle around you. I have seen too many people over the years fail to get the best enjoyment of the method because of poor set up.
The main benefit of the pole is accuracy and bait presentation, regardless of how long it is or expensive, presentation and accuracy can be achieved.
Most of all enjoy it, wherever you go there will be loads of fish to be caught at 10m or less.
Tight lines.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
So reading through Neil's guide, divide the elastic by 2 to give the breaking strain... That makes things simpler. Gear arrangement is something I will need to have a chat with myself about. Using only one box as a base to work from...? Can I manage both Pole and Traditional from it? Hmmm...
It would seem the ever expanding tackle and weight conundrum is starting to rear it's ugly head. Next I will be looking for a ruddy trolley!
No Munchy! Stop this madness right now. It's a black hole sucking money and you are on the precipice of the event horizon.
The me inside says "yeah but you deserve it" Oh Lord...

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Elastics? What the hell is this in breaking strain? I'm old school and have not yet fathomed .22 etc and still rely on pounds as a guide.
So, the new pole. It is kitted out with 11 and 13. I doubt very much this is corresponding to the line that could be used in Lbs. Is there a formula to work this out? You must excuse my ignorance but I know sod all about pole. Put me on a waggler or feeder then I am a happy man. This is totally alien and I now know how @Mrs Munch must feel when I am trying to guide her.
11 & 13 aren't bad elastics for this time of year. 11 will be fine for your F1's and 13 will do for carp.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
11 & 13 aren't bad elastics for this time of year. 11 will be fine for your F1's and 13 will do for carp.
But what strain of line do I use to make the rigs? Please don't say .22, that means jack to me. Old school pounds here. Like a pint of beer, not half a litre.
Oh, so much to learn...
A few other things. The silicone tubing for the floats, the shot itself? Not a clue what it is called nor where to order it. Stotts for the shot? I have been reading Neil's guide and It is a superb guide but unless you know, well you don't know. It's like me saying semi downdraught slide valve. Unless you know that is part of a carburettor for a Suzuki GXR1100 circa 2000 then you are still in the dark, befuddled, you know the lingo but not it's application.
Be gentle with me, links and advice are very, very welcome!

The Landlord

Site Supporter

For silicon tubing, Preston do a dispenser with 5 or 6 different sizes. You just cut them to the length you require.
Shot or stotz....they weigh the same. Its just that some people prefer one to the other.

CarpCatcher86

Here ya go. If you fancy fishing a bit further out, you've got that option. If you just want to fish the short pole (topkit plus one or two sections) you can do.
You should still get a roller though, even if it's just a small one. Only £90

If you fancy fishing a bit further out then you need a flot rod.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Mr munch, think of your elastic like your rod shock absorber your line just needs to cope with the sort of fish your going to catch so your 11 elastic for f1's and small carp quality sivers, I would go for .14 about 4lb with hooklenth of 2-3 lb .11 .12 and the 13 .16 5-6lb with a hooklenth of .13 3-5lb, all manufacturers line differs a bit.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
That's the biscuit Fugley. Just the info I was hoping for. I shall be knocking up some rigs this week post work. No doubt Bobco will be getting a good chunk of my hard earned... Again!

J W

John
Site Supporter
Hi mate
Having been in your shoes last year I know it's easy to be a bit overwhelmed by all the info and choice. The best thing is to keep it simple and realise it doesn't need to be over complicated. Get the basics: line (0.14 and 0.16 as said above will cover the basics), float silicon, stotz are better to start as they move easier on the line and will allow you to change you shotting pattern to suit on the day, and some winders to store your rigs

Float wise, pick a range and start off with two or three patterns in different weight loadings. I use the Preston Des Shipp range and the F1 Pellet float is a great all rounder for general pleasure fishing.

Last edited:

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@MunchMyStump made a joke at my local tackle today about setting up a standing order 😆 but I'm not sure that would cover it. You could buy a couple of the preston pre tied rigs to get you started, that way you will have a rig to copy when it's time to re tie them. That way if you n Mrs munch don't get on with it you've not got to buy any rig making stuff.