So just how far is staying local ?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
In a normal year, I spend the Winter months happily pottering about, servicing and fine tuning my fishing tackle, replacing lines and tying rigs in preparation for my first outing in mid to late March.
At the moment I have a couple of old cane rods which need refurbishing, with replacement rings and whipping threads ready and waiting.
So why am I so desperate to get out fishing this year?
:unsure:

R0B

In a normal year, I spend the Winter months happily pottering about, servicing and fine tuning my fishing tackle, replacing lines and tying rigs in preparation for my first outing in mid to late March.
At the moment I have a couple of old cane rods which need refurbishing, with replacement rings and whipping threads ready and waiting.
So why am I so desperate to get out fishing this year?
:unsure:
Because it's not a normal year. Whilst fishing is one of the rare things you CAN do, and with doubt hanging over many aspects of our lives; our health and finances for example, it tends to focus the mind a little :LOL:. I am exactly the same, desperate and obsessed with getting fishing.

solwood

Site Supporter
@alsur Eashing can be frustrating but rewarding, I fish it with maggot trotting rather than traditional barbel tactics much more fun and varied

Next stretch Salgasson behind pepperharrow road, this iui s my goto silverfish trotting venue

Next Upper Common in the town centre. If you can deal with the cows a goo stretch for silvers, barbel, some nice bream and river carp

Lower common below town bridge is my goto perch stretch

Below boathouse is available on day ticket, I rarely fish due to foot traffic and in summer boat traffic. But I have personally seen very large chub caught by a very good angler and I know broadford is popular stretch too. Definitely worth trying

alsur

Site Supporter
@alsur Eashing can be frustrating but rewarding, I fish it with maggot trotting rather than traditional barbel tactics much more fun and varied

Next stretch Salgasson behind pepperharrow road, this iui s my goto silverfish trotting venue

Next Upper Common in the town centre. If you can deal with the cows a goo stretch for silvers, barbel, some nice bream and river carp

Below boathouse is available on day ticket, I rarely fish due to foot traffic and in summer boat traffic. But I have personally seen very large chub caught by a very good angler and I know broadford is popular stretch too. Definitely worth trying
Main Farnham stretch is a few miles upstream of Eashing, like you I trot maggots in late summer and autumn it fishes well for small Dace and Graying with odd Chub but very few Roach, it gets much harder when it gets cold. There are a few Barbel which are caught if targeted and more Chub are caught on lead.

Paul.P

Just to prove my point, a guy from the town i live in has posted on facebook about his days fishing at Float fish farm today, & that's a 60mile round trip !

cuzza

Seems we’re in the same club! I haven’t fished the town stretches yet as I only joined last year but have been to Eashing quite a bit and Tilthams Corner too, both nice stretches and nice and quiet.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Just to prove my point, a guy from the town i live in has posted on facebook about his days fishing at Float fish farm today, & that's a 60mile round trip !
Does he have a head the shape of a light bulb?
It’s called common sense and not many people have it. My daughter works in a hospital so all those that travel here and there are putting her life at risk. Also our household at risk but it doesn’t matter as long as you get your fb like.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I guess its hard to put a mileage limit on it as everyone's circumstances are different.

the best "rule of thumb" for me is the one whereby if I pass a suitable location to go to one further away then I am not truly staying local.
I got chastised on social media over the weekend for fishing a venue a mile from my home and having a tough day whilst others did 50 mile round trips to fish a venue that was fishing well. For me this is an example of why the virus can be spread......

Zerkalo

I don't like the politics of deciding what is local for other people, it would be too much like 'moral grandstanding'.

For me though, local means in my village and I wouldn't fish anywhere I had to travel 30 minutes to. In fact some venues that are 30 minutes away from me are closed because they say 'no where is local to here'. Another venue that's 10 minutes away from me, says anyone in Shropshire can fish it. It's on the border of Staffordshire and Shropshire so that could mean an hour and half journey would be ok but a 10 minute journey not ok. I don't complain though because those are the rules.

martin22

Site Supporter
One of my local clubs announced they’d contacted the police authorities asking what defines as local as they have a few ponds spread around and the reply they got was the local officers were working on a 5 mile radius as local for things like fishing etc
Not saying it’s right or wrong or if I agree with it or not but at least if that’s the case then the playing fields set out which is what needs doing all over the country as we clearly don’t know what’s right or wrong from one month to the next 🤷‍♂️

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I see a lot of people suggesting that the first two letters of the postcode should be used to define local. But that can be a vast area, depending on the population density. I am in the TR postcode in Cornwall. So that's all of West Cornwall including the Scilly Isles. If the postcode is to be used, it should be the first three or four. This will equate to your town or village. So I am in TR15 which is Redruth and a few villages within a couple of miles of it. Actually that would mean that I have zero places to fish even if they were open , as the Red River is in Camborne, Clover Lake in Portreath and the nearest sea in Portreath. Government advice is that if you don't have fishing locally, then you must find another form of outside exercise, not travel out of your area to find some fishing. It would greatly help the public and the Police if the term local was clearly defined.

cuzza

I don’t see what’s so complicated! Here’s my understanding....

Is your nearest fishery in village/town/area of the city were you live?

If Yes, go for it, if No then, according to the rules, you shouldn’t be fishing.

Nothing to do with postcodes, distance or any other spurious formula that means you can miraculously get to your favourite spot. It makes enforcement simple - e.g. your ID says you live in Derby and you’re fishing in Nottingham, you’re breaking the rules.

solwood

Site Supporter
Seems we’re in the same club! I haven’t fished the town stretches yet as I only joined last year but have been to Eashing quite a bit and Tilthams Corner too, both nice stretches and nice and quiet.
Indeed we are, I have only pike fished tilthams, love eashing for trotting but 13 years later still not had a barbel!

I bailiff salgasson so if you want to walk it I am happy to share my knowledge

cuzza

Indeed we are, I have only pike fished tilthams, love eashing for trotting but 13 years later still not had a barbel!

I bailiff salgasson so if you want to walk it I am happy to share my knowledge
Thank you - when things open back up, I’ll drop you a line 👍🏻

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I see a lot of people suggesting that the first two letters of the postcode should be used to define local. But that can be a vast area, depending on the population density. I am in the TR postcode in Cornwall. So that's all of West Cornwall including the Scilly Isles. If the postcode is to be used, it should be the first three or four. This will equate to your town or village. So I am in TR15 which is Redruth and a few villages within a couple of miles of it. Actually that would mean that I have zero places to fish even if they were open , as the Red River is in Camborne, Clover Lake in Portreath and the nearest sea in Portreath. Government advice is that if you don't have fishing locally, then you must find another form of outside exercise, not travel out of your area to find some fishing. It would greatly help the public and the Police if the term local was clearly defined.
It’s same round here. Southport has a Preston post code and it’s own dialing code. Then you have houghton 3mile from me with a Preston post code and Blackburn dialing code.
people should just be sensible and stop looking for excuses because they only succeed in showing how stupid they are.

Paul.P

To fish Float fish farm from my town means crossing 3 counties !, i do understand it could prove difficult for the fishery to prove where any angler lives, but they should take any measures possible to check where anglers are coming from, they probably know all the regulars so it would just mean checking any non regulars. Having said that the prat who went is really the culprit.