So just how far is staying local ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just to muddy the water a bit further may I thrown this scenario into the equation

I can’t work from home yet my job is an essential service so I have to travel 13.4 miles each way, once there I then drive throughout the YO postcode visiting clients premises ( this can be up to 40 miles from the office ) so if one uses my acceptable work travel as a ‘ guide ‘ to reasonable distance travelling you’d have thought 40 miles would be acceptable by ‘ plod ‘ but of course it wouldn’t be ( would it ? ) 🤔🤔
As far as I'm aware, work is entirely different. Whilst they are encouraging all that can to work from home, there aren't any distance limits on those that can't. I know lads still trogging around the country to the tune of hundreds of miles. Things still need building, supplying and maintaining.

alsur

Site Supporter
Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

Within 5 miles I have 3 or 4 towns let alone villages
Using first letters of postcode covers half of Surrey and a large part of Hampshire

nejohn

Site Supporter

I understand the local thing being a little confusing but realistically you couldn't put a distance on it as it really does depend on your own circumstances. For example my friend has a farm in Northumberland, his nearest neighbour is 2 miles from his house and the nearest shop of any description is over 5 miles away and that is just a small village shop, a trip to a supermarket is a 60 mile round trip, compare that to someone that lives in a city where all amenities are probably less than 2 miles from their front door. Hence why the government have asked for people to apply common sense when the decide what is local or not. But unfortunately people seem ether reluctant or incapable of applying common sense. In my case I work on the assumption that my nearest supermarket and chemist are about 2 miles away so anything further than that is not local

nejohn

Site Supporter
As far as I'm aware, work is entirely different. Whilst they are encouraging all that can to work from home, there aren't any distance limits on those that can't. I know lads still trogging around the country to the tune of hundreds of miles. Things still need building, supplying and maintaining.
Exactly, on Monday I will be driving from South Wales to the west coast of Scotland (armed with essential worker letter) but I would not dream of covering this sort of milage and claiming if I can do it for work then why not for other things

Cobweb

Site Supporter
This rule is no longer in force due to the public court case of 2 ladies out walking more than 5 miles from their home. The case was dismissed. And of course our very own Boris cycling 7 miles from home.
Now he tells me after I've just spent £169 on a big river feeder! There's no way I'm passing on this news to the missus!:D

richox12

I understand the local thing being a little confusing but realistically you couldn't put a distance on it as it really does depend on your own circumstances. For example my friend has a farm in Northumberland, his nearest neighbour is 2 miles from his house and the nearest shop of any description is over 5 miles away and that is just a small village shop, a trip to a supermarket is a 60 mile round trip, compare that to someone that lives in a city where all amenities are probably less than 2 miles from their front door. Hence why the government have asked for people to apply common sense when the decide what is local or not. But unfortunately people seem ether reluctant or incapable of applying common sense. In my case I work on the assumption that my nearest supermarket and chemist are about 2 miles away so anything further than that is not local
But..................you're sensible !!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

Within 5 miles I have 3 or 4 towns let alone villages
Using first letters of postcode covers half of Surrey and a large part of Hampshire
Nowhere remotely official that I've seen has ever mentioned using postcodes as a means to determine what might be considered local.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I suppose that's a question to ask the copper if you get pulled :)
Ya know summat if ya get pulled and yer not off hand with em they will probably send ya on yer way with a Be careful lad and enjoy yer sen. ya can give em the w anchor sign as ya drive away.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
These Covid 'laws' have been rushed through Parliament within hours in the hope people would abide by them in the spirit of the circumstances. Normally laws would take weeks and months to be passed in order to iron out loopholes. There are going to be many loopholes people will attempt to exploit in these Covid laws, but if you do, be prepared to be taken to task by the law.

Last edited:

lp1886

Site Supporter
Of all the fines issued, how many have been paid? Is this information available anywhere?

david white

Site Supporter
Just to muddy the water a bit further may I thrown this scenario into the equation

I can’t work from home yet my job is an essential service so I have to travel 13.4 miles each way, once there I then drive throughout the YO postcode visiting clients premises ( this can be up to 40 miles from the office ) so if one uses my acceptable work travel as a ‘ guide ‘ to reasonable distance travelling you’d have thought 40 miles would be acceptable by ‘ plod ‘ but of course it wouldn’t be ( would it ? ) 🤔🤔
My profound apologies if the above in anyway gives the impression that if I can travel 50 odd miles for work why can’t I ( or anyone ) travel to go fishing ( although I admit re reading it it could read that way ! ) actually it was meant to indicate how unreasonable after all these weeks that there’s no definitive distance having been made ( possible answer ............... quite likely as it’s not ever going to be practical ) hence the muddy water reference

For the record I haven’t been fishing since mid December ( and re reading the above it’s beginning to show !! )

alsur

Site Supporter
They do indeed, because they are making things up to suit themselves.
Agree just like putting figures like 10 miles does. Some people seem to look at where they would like to fish and use a definition that includes that.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If someone said the distance you can travel is as far as 3metres of pole elastic will stretch, some will ask what make, what gauge, can they use Hydro, hollow or solid.
In reality we all have a rough idea of how far 3metres of pole elastic will stretch but people still need it written down in front of them.

At the end of the day it's down to being and acting responsibly and using common sense.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
These Covid 'laws' have been rushed through Parliament within hours in the hope people would abide by them in the spirit of the circumstances. Normally laws would take weeks and months to be passed in order to iron out loopholes. There are going to be many loopholes people will attempt to exploit in these Covid laws
Agreed. An unavoidable scenario at the best of times, but "hoping" that people will abide without enforcement and leadership by example at the outset has been an ongoing stumbling block

solwood

Site Supporter
I am a member of clubs in Woking and Godalming, live in Godalming and office is in Woking. Currently WFH.

Therefore my local waters are Godalming, 5 of the Godalming waters are in Milford, club has asked that we dont travel to the neighbouring village to fish these and vice versa. Therefore I am only fishing the nearest stretch if river (15 min walk away), and lake also a 20 minute walk away, both are closer than my nearest supermarket.

If I was going into the office I would consider fishing woking waters after work within permitted hours.

alsur

Site Supporter
I am a member of clubs in Woking and Godalming, live in Godalming and office is in Woking. Currently WFH.

Therefore my local waters are Godalming, 5 of the Godalming waters are in Milford, club has asked that we dont travel to the neighbouring village to fish these and vice versa. Therefore I am only fishing the nearest stretch if river (15 min walk away), and lake also a 20 minute walk away, both are closer than my nearest supermarket.

If I was going into the office I would consider fishing woking waters after work within permitted hours.
How does Wey around Godalming fish these days Farnham's stretches aren't to bad but float fishing become difficult when it gets colder.