So just how far is staying local ?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I checked this out - the rule is a radius 5 miles outside your local boundary which beggar's belief. but there it is! On the bright side as the only fishable water for me now (currently) is the tidal stretch (mostly) of the River Medway, I've been forced to order a new 14ft Black Viper Bream rod from BobCo for that Bream Zone - Oh the inconvenience!! (who knows when lockdown is going to be lifted?);)

SteveinSwindon

As far as I can see/read, whilst the rules state you must stay local, there has never been any mention of only travelling to the nearest water to you, as some seem to be implying in this thread.

I haven't been fishing at all since lockdown, but there is a pond within half a mile of me, but I feel I could, quite legitimately, travel within my locality to a venue a little further away.

A rule limiting fishing to the nearest venue to you is a crazy concept - it brings in the need to define "venue" - if it is a private water are you stuffed, or what about a little stream with a few minnows in.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I checked this out - the rule is a radius 5 miles outside your local boundary which beggar's belief. but there it is!
This rule is no longer in force due to the public court case of 2 ladies out walking more than 5 miles from their home. The case was dismissed. And of course our very own Boris cycling 7 miles from home.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
As far as I can see/read, whilst the rules state you must stay local, there has never been any mention of only travelling to the nearest water to you, as some seem to be implying in this
What you say is true, but the Police in some areas have interpreted the rules that way. That's the trouble. The guidelines are open to interpretation by the individuals and by the enforcers of the rules.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
As far as I can see/read, whilst the rules state you must stay local, there has never been any mention of only travelling to the nearest water to you, as some seem to be implying in this thread.

I haven't been fishing at all since lockdown, but there is a pond within half a mile of me, but I feel I could, quite legitimately, travel within my locality to a venue a little further away.

A rule limiting fishing to the nearest venue to you is a crazy concept - it brings in the need to define "venue" - if it is a private water are you stuffed, or what about a little stream with a few minnows in.
Sometimes common sense prevails in law thank goodness.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Most of my club waters are local(ish) to me, a couple out in the sticks, but the majority 10 to 15 mins away, with one a mile from my house... so I'm happy enough that I'm complying with the directives

nejohn

Site Supporter
This rule is no longer in force due to the public court case of 2 ladies out walking more than 5 miles from their home. The case was dismissed. And of course our very own Boris cycling 7 miles from home.
I think Boris cycling in a place 7 miles from his home in Central London may well have been a decision made for him by his security staff maybe easier to assess threats in an open space than in a built up area

violator

My club lakes and other venues are dotted around Maidstone/Tonbridge which are an 80 mile round trip give or take. Brooklands and Darenth are about a 12 mile round trip so those are my only viable options, but the weather isn't playing nicely.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Anything fishable for me is too far away - free Medway around Maidstone is unfishable due to volume of water & my local free lake is flooded out with only one peg even remotely attemptable.

Desperate to wet a line but not willing to travel at this time.

richox12

Talk of local being 10, 15 or 20 miles away or being within the first letters of your postcode amazes me. How on earth is that local ?? If I travelled 20 miles I would have past umpteen places/towns/ villages. If I stayed within the first 2 letters of my postcode I could easily drive 40 miles again past umpteen towns. It's all mad. As I've said before it's all clear as mud because it's not specific. It's far too ambiguous.

Where is your nearest LOCAL shop ??? I bet one which is 20 miles away is not what you would ever consider local. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Paul.P

Seems to me everyone's just as confused as i am, not that i intend going fishing until the weather warms up, but if this lockdown does go on until march time it would be nice to have a definitive answer, Angling Trust take note !!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Talk of local being 10, 15 or 20 miles away or being within the first letters of your postcode amazes me. How on earth is that local ?? If I travelled 20 miles I would have past umpteen places/towns/ villages. If I stayed within the first 2 letters of my postcode I could easily drive 40 miles again past umpteen towns. It's all mad. As I've said before it's all clear as mud because it's not specific. It's far too ambiguous.

Where is your nearest LOCAL shop ??? I bet one which is 20 miles away is not what you would ever consider local. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah that’s kind of why using the word local is a bit daft and hence they should have given a distance. In the grand scheme of the country 15-20 miles is definitely local, most people would still consider something or someone that far away from them as being local to them. For example my local hospital is 15 miles away and I’d certainly consider any family and friends within that range of living locally. Also it’s probably about the daily regular maximum that most people would travel to a shop, restaurants, work etc. But at the same time you think of your local pub, school or shop as just down the round which is what makes it ambiguous.

Because of that ambiguity I think it would be very hard for a court to pin anything on you within about 20 miles but at the same time I’d be no way be risking much more than about 5 miles because of how widely the term can be interpreted.

Completely academic to me at the moment though as wherever I went it would still be flooded!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Is it acceptable to drive past day ticket waters to get to a club water? Genuine question as I am in that situation. Club waters are between 10-15 miles away but in the same post code.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I suppose that's a question to ask the copper if you get pulled :)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Is it acceptable to drive past day ticket waters to get to a club water? Genuine question as I am in that situation. Club waters are between 10-15 miles away but in the same post code.
I would say no it isn't if you were stopped by the police. If asked the question 'is there anywhere you can fish nearer to your home address'?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldnt personally go more than a couple miles further than the closest available place as you're just shortening the leg to stand on if you do get pulled. It's going to take take a massive jobsworth of a copper to give you grief for going say 5 miles when you could have gone 4 but I think quite a few might think you are taking the pee if you've gone 15 when you could have gone 5.

Problem is its so dependant on the policeman who passes you. My mates brother is one and he said as long as someones within about half an hour of home he wouldnt bat an eyelid if their reason for being out was safe enough but at the same time you're going to get the power hungry or bored one who'll pull you anywhere for the sake of it.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
My nearest supermarket is 3.8 miles away. Bar a medical appointment, that is as far as I've been in quite a while. My usual stretch of river is 4.1 miles, the nearest is 2.4 miles and there's another 2.7 miles. The furthest is in the middle of nowhere. The two nearest are either side of a different village to the one in which I live. I've been to none of them since the beginning of the latest lockdown. My syndicate stillwater is 2.4 miles away. It's not in my own village, but I believe that it's the same parish. I have been to this one, but only in a bailiffing capacity (checking that no one is there, scaring cormorants and for a stocking). I live closer than all bar one member, but he's a full time worker.

It's all rather academic because the nearest place I can get bait is 13.5 miles. If the syndicate had any sort of winter form, or the river hadn't been up and down like a yo-yo since well before Christmas, I might be in more of a quandry. As it stands, fishing can wait. It's just not that important.

david white

Site Supporter
Just to muddy the water a bit further may I thrown this scenario into the equation

I can’t work from home yet my job is an essential service so I have to travel 13.4 miles each way, once there I then drive throughout the YO postcode visiting clients premises ( this can be up to 40 miles from the office ) so if one uses my acceptable work travel as a ‘ guide ‘ to reasonable distance travelling you’d have thought 40 miles would be acceptable by ‘ plod ‘ but of course it wouldn’t be ( would it ? ) 🤔🤔