So just how far is staying local ?

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I saw somewhere, that you stay within the first part of your postcode, to stay local.
It definately would have to the first part as the second would only give you about 100yds from your door.
I'm the same as most other people and haven't got a clue whats considered local by the police.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
There's a moral issue and a legal issue.
The moral issue is if you feel uncomfortable about distance then don't go.
The legal issue is if you cannot prove in court that you are unable to exercise or 'go fishing' nearer to your home address you are breaking the law. However, if stopped by the police they will more than likely advise you to return home if within an ambiguous distance from home and you agree to do so without remonstrating. If you remonstrate you will get nicked as you would if you were 100 miles from home without questions asked.
The "Go Fishing" part of being able to exercise is easy to fall foul of too. Because you are supposed to stay local and fish in the nearest spot, regardless of your chosen fishing discipline, so if you live by the sea, you can't travel to fish a lake or river, because you are a coarse angler, because your nearest fishing is the sea. There was a Plymouth angler fishing a lake a few miles out of the city, who was asked to pack up and go home by Police on a random check. He said he was at the closest fishing spot to his home. The Police told him Plymouth Sound was actually his closest fishing spot.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Define "worth fishing"? It may not be very good fishing in your eyes, but can you 'go fishing'? There's a big difference.

There's Beeston canal but I only Pike fish this time of year and been told there's nowt much in the way of Pike in there.

I suppose if I was inclined to go with maggot and a float rod might catch something but not really my thing this time of year 😀

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The "Go Fishing" part of being able to exercise is easy to fall foul of too. Because you are supposed to stay local and fish in the nearest spot, regardless of your chosen fishing discipline, so if you live by the sea, you can't travel to fish a lake or river, because you are a coarse angler, because your nearest fishing is the sea. There was a Plymouth angler fishing a lake a few miles out of the city, who was asked to pack up and go home by Police on a random check. He said he was at the closest fishing spot to his home. The Police told him Plymouth Sound was actually his closest fishing spot.
In this instance the Police were correct. The law does not discriminate between angling disciplines. Fishing is angling and angling is fishing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's Beeston canal but I only Pike fish this time of year and been told there's nowt much in the way of Pike in there.

I suppose if I was inclined to go with maggot and a float rod might catch something but not really my thing this time of year 😀
So you're relying on someone else's opinion - give it a try yourself, walking one bank is pretty much the same as another, it's only the catching that makes the difference and if you don't know what's in there there's only one proper way of finding out ;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The trouble is that, once again, the rules for England are unclear and open to interpretation. There is vague guidance that local means your village, town or area of city. The Police are unclear as to the exact rules, and so are inconsistent. And then we have to try and figure out what is local, and hope that if we are stopped by the Police, that we are both interpreting local in the same way. I personally think that a 10 mile radius from your home would be sensible across the country. All we need is clarity. It would make it so much easier all round.
the downside of that is

a lot of people now live out in the sticks where a 10 mile trip is just getting further into nowhere

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Here in Pool, Cornwall, I have got the Red River. Not actually a river but a stream, so polluted by mining that it is actually red in colour. So not worth fishing. Then I have Clover Lake at Gwel An Mor resort ,which is 2.5 miles away, but it's closed. And half a mile beyond that I have the Atlantic Ocean at Portreath. I haven't got any sea fishing gear, so no fishing at all. The nearest lake open is about 20 minutes away, but has a 5 mile radius restriction on who can fish it. So no fishing for me. But that's the law, so c'est la vie.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter

Being drunk is not a crime.
Being drunk and disorderly is a crime.
So we can all get drunk but not disorderly. :devilish:

Silver fan 82

The thing is Going Down the Trent at say 6 in the Morning and coming Back at 8 in the evening id be near no one except Albert, its the risk of an accident i suppose ya gotta tek into consideration thus putting yer sen in Hospital with summat that could have been Prevented.
If you thought like that though mate you wouldn't leave the house? Unless I've misread your post?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
But you could buy some if you really wanted to.;)
That's true. I'm not complaining though. Just accepting that I can't go fishing at the moment. I certainly wouldn't risk sea fishing on my own, in a location I don't know. I will invest in a spinning rod and reel at some point which would be versatile for trout in streams, predators on reservoirs and fishing in the sea. But I wouldn't fish off the rocks by myself until I was confident in my safety.

squimp

Site Supporter
2 guys have recently been told not to come back (by the bailiffs) to the syndicate lake I’m currently fishing.

They live roughly 15 - 18 miles away.

The next door club lake is allowing people from postcodes that extend roughly 35 miles.....

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
That's true. I'm not complaining though. Just accepting that I can't go fishing at the moment. I certainly wouldn't risk sea fishing on my own, in a location I don't know. I will invest in a spinning rod and reel at some point which would be versatile for trout in streams, predators on reservoirs and fishing in the sea. But I wouldn't fish off the rocks by myself until I was confident in my safety.
Very wise :upthumb:

peterb

Site Supporter
Here in Wales , where most fisheries are closed , the rule on exercise or whatever is that it should start and finish at home , in other words you don't drive somewhere to do it .

cuzza

I do, and i have. before the I dare ya idiots get any silly ideas (y)
Wasn’t intending to single anyone out with that post mate.

I think the rules are clear - if you can fish in your village,town or part of the city, you can, if not, then you can’t. I live in a village near Guildford (and in that borough) but outside the city and while I have a book for the river that flows through the city, fishing it (to me) breaks the rules so I’m stuck at home, buying gear. Just because we can fish, doesn’t mean you can break the “local” rule to do so

Thats my take on it, back to eBay

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
2 guys have recently been told not to come back (by the bailiffs) to the syndicate lake I’m currently fishing.

They live roughly 15 - 18 miles away.

The next door club lake is allowing people from postcodes that extend roughly 35 miles.....
I have the river Goyt within easy walking distance from my home, but I would need to join the local club to be able to fish it. My preferred river Dove is 30 miles from home which I determine as too far for a pleasure session but not for a guiding/coaching session, ie education/work. I could easily join the local club to fish the Goyt, but I choose not to.

alsur

Site Supporter
Wasn’t intending to single anyone out with that post mate.

I think the rules are clear - if you can fish in your village,town or part of the city, you can, if not, then you can’t. I live in a village near Guildford (and in that borough) but outside the city and while I have a book for the river that flows through the city, fishing it (to me) breaks the rules so I’m stuck at home, buying gear. Just because we can fish, doesn’t mean you can break the “local” rule to do so

Thats my take on it, back to eBay
I'm not far from Guildford but the nearest sections of Wey to me are in Waverley so I'm not going. I do have a couple of Lakes and a section of canal very close so I could fish if I wanted to but towpath is to busy for my liking and lakes are extremely hard this time of year but will probably give them a go if warms up before end of lockdown.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If you thought like that though mate you wouldn't leave the house? Unless I've misread your post?
Ya know me mate i dont usually give a toss about owt, but i cant be bothered with the Biased Coppers giving me a hard time because im a few miles from home enjoying me sen.