So just how far is staying local ?

Paul.P

Popped to Howdens ( Grantham ) today to pick some stuff up for the job i'm on, & one of the guys there is a fisherman & asked me if i'd been out, to which i replied no, the nearest decent place to go this time of the year would be approx 10-12 miles away & i'm really not sure if that would be construed as being local, to which he replied that he had customers in there that had travelled to Lake View which is approx 14miles, so i'm really not sure where you stand on this ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Id love to go to The Trent which is 70 miles away, that even in my book is tekkin the Pizz, up to 15 - 20 mile Radius i reckon is ok.

JLK

There's some sponsored anglers travel further than that to do YouTube videos

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
In my view for pleasure or exercising purposes, a 10 mile radius from your house, providing you stick to the social distancing rulings

For support or bubble purposes, a max of 20 miles

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think if common sense were applied you’d be ok for up to a half hour drive as I’m pretty sure that would get through as local with a decent lawyer in a court as in every other time of life it would generally be accepted that within in such a radius would be your local area. But that’s if you go through the faff of court and it only takes one jobs worth copper to pull you over in the first time place so I think the safe bet is to just go to your nearest fishery or at least to one no more than a few minutes from your nearest as that would be fairly indisputable local.

Therefore I personally agree with @Wise Owl that a 15-20 miles radius should be ok if common sense were applied but there’s no way I’d risk going beyond about 6-5 miles myself as you’d just be upping your chances of getting pulled going further as I reckon most coppers will be thinking less than 10 miles.

david white

Site Supporter
In my view for pleasure or exercising purposes, a 10 mile radius from your house, providing ypou stick to the social distancing rulings

For support or bubble purposes, a max of 20 miles
Absolutely no reflection on yourself Mick, but the issue with the above and anybody could have wrote it, is “ in my view “ surely in today’s multi media society the powers to be could and should have set out definitive distances. Trouble is you give some people a foot and they take a mile ( literally !! )

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Absolutely no reflection on yourself Mick, but the issue with the above and anybody could have wrote it, is “ in my view “ surely in today’s multi media society the powers to be could and should have set out definitive distances. Trouble is you give some people a foot and they take a mile ( literally !! )
I sorta thought that out in like the distances Im prepared to go to work these days, I used to travel untold miles, but cut it down to around 25 mile max, which before covid I thought was "Local"

Fishing wise, Ive got a shedload of venues to go at in a 10 to 15 mile radius, though since the first lockdown Ive restricted myself to the canal and club ponds which are well under the 10 mile radius

lp1886

Popped to Howdens ( Grantham ) today to pick some stuff up for the job i'm on, & one of the guys there is a fisherman & asked me if i'd been out, to which i replied no, the nearest decent place to go this time of the year would be approx 10-12 miles away & i'm really not sure if that would be construed as being local, to which he replied that he had customers in there that had travelled to Lake View which is approx 14miles, so i'm really not sure where you stand on this ?
Go as far as you feel comfortable going, you don’t need permission to go fishing 👍🏻

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bare in mind the virus can't drive, can't hop on a bus, can't catch a train, it can't even walk - it needs YOU to spread it around.

Common sense should apply in all cases - if you need to ask "is this too far?", you already know the answer

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Bear in mind the virus can't drive, can't hop on a bus, can't catch a train, it can't even walk - it needs YOU to spread it around.

Common sense should apply in all cases - if you need to ask "is this too far?", you already know the answer

The thing is Going Down the Trent at say 6 in the Morning and coming Back at 8 in the evening id be near no one except Albert, its the risk of an accident i suppose ya gotta tek into consideration thus putting yer sen in Hospital with summat that could have been Prevented.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A multitude of things could happen from a puncture, to a breakdown, even stopping for a bite to eat or fuel, not just an accident. And then you get there contact with fences, gates, etc. Like I said on the China thread, it would be a whole lot easier if you could see it, but you can't.

alsur

Site Supporter
This is governments take "Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live." My usual river is about 8 miles away but in different borough and definitely not in my village so I'm not going.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The trouble is that, once again, the rules for England are unclear and open to interpretation. There is vague guidance that local means your village, town or area of city. The Police are unclear as to the exact rules, and so are inconsistent. And then we have to try and figure out what is local, and hope that if we are stopped by the Police, that we are both interpreting local in the same way. I personally think that a 10 mile radius from your home would be sensible across the country. All we need is clarity. It would make it so much easier all round.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Unpopular as this will be - from gov.uk.....

“Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.”

and

“Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.”

I do, and i have. before the I dare ya idiots get any silly ideas (y)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
There's a moral issue and a legal issue.
The moral issue is if you feel uncomfortable about distance then don't go.
The legal issue is if you cannot prove in court that you are unable to exercise or 'go fishing' nearer to your home address you are breaking the law. However, if stopped by the police they will more than likely advise you to return home if within an ambiguous distance from home and you agree to do so without remonstrating. If you remonstrate you will get nicked as you would if you were 100 miles from home without questions asked.