Snipping Tool

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
For those of you who are not aware...

Tucked away in the bowels of the more recent versions of Windows is something called the 'Snipping Tool'. This is a really cool utility that allows you to draw a rectangle around anything you have on screen and then capture it to the clipboard. You can then paste this rectangle directly into emails or even posts on the Maggotdrowners forum. It's a lot more convenient than capturing the screen or uploading files or going through paint or whatever. There's even a built in option to highlight a bit of the rectangle.

I use the snipping tool all the time (it's brilliant for email) and have it set up on my task bar as a shortcut (see below)

1525586393389.png

It's particularly useful for showing little bits of spreadsheets, web pages that you want to draw attention to, without adding a huge file or image since you only grab the bit you need.

Give it a go and let me know what you think.

To find/use the Snipping Tool:

To find it - click on the windows icon (bottom left)

1525586584363.png

Start typing Snipp

And this should appear

1525586676785.png

When you run it you get this pop-up box:

1525586718949.png

Click New

And the image of the rest of the screen will go a little hazy, so you know it's working. Then simply draw a rectangle with the mouse / hold left mouse button around the bit you want. If it's not quite the right selection, just hit new again and redo.

The image goes straight into the clipboard

So open the email / post you want to add the grab to and paste it in (is use Ctrl+V for speed)

And you're good to go

Have a go let me know what you think.

Apologies to those of you who were hoping this was going to be about a different kind of snip.

1525587104261.png

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Tried what you suggested, no snipping tool on my system. Running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Where to find the Snipping Tool in Windows 7. ... One of them is to type the word “snip” in the Start Menu search box and then click on the Snipping Tool shortcut. A second way is to go to the Start Menu, choose Accessories and then click on Snipping Tool.

Suggest once you find it you pin it to your Taskbar

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Done the search, no snipping tool found. :rolleyes: It's not in accessories either.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Apparently, it didn't ship with some version of windows 7, so you may have to see if you can find a free equivalent app to download.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Do you have the file here?

1525589567454.png

No snippingtool.exe found. o_O I wonder if I can nick the exe from wifey's system. It seems odd to me that it's on wifey's and not mine being as we both run the same version.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Then it's google time for you I suspect.

I did say

1525590172812.png

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Yes you did, and both wifey and myself are running the same version of Windows. It is on her system, but not mine. I'll have a faff about later when woken up a bit better and see if I can track down the exe on wifey's, then see if I can copy it to mine. This has worked with some exe files before.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Before I had Snipping included in the Windows package I used to download Snagit free.
Might be worth a look

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I have this one...Gadwin PrintScreen....

The Screen Capture Utility

Grabs video's as well. but it's not as fast at grabbing a screen shot with the snipping tool, although grabbing video's is very simple.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Probably all those who already knew about it.
???

Always good to give info that might help someone though Spanky
?

Last edited:

Lol

Account Closed
Site Supporter
I used it on Win 10 for the first time last night. before it was all print screen and edit in Paintshop Pro.
Much easier your way.
Cheers!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
You're welcome mate... it's one of those things you've seen or you haven't. Hence why I thought I'd share.