Sneaky Tesco's

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
On the way back from seeing Old Taff this morn

I had call to pop into our local tesco one-stop shop, needed milk, a box of eggs, some new potatos and a couple other bits

wandered around as you do, because nothing you want is close to any other bits your after, and in doing so saw a few yellow ticket price reduced goods which though wasnt on the shopping list, I picked up and put in the basket, spur of the moment buys like

got to the checkout and offered payment and was surprised at the overall cost of the meager amount of shopping, was asked if I wanted a reciept, so said yes

got out the van and had a perusal at the invoice to see how the total matched what I had purchased, only to note that the yellow ticket priced items I had been charged a fair bit more for rather than the price listed on the shelf

went back in the shop and called out the server on the counter about the difference in what I had been charged and what the price I had seen on the shelves

turns out the discount only applies if you offer up a tesco clubcard at the till upon paying for the goods, if you dont have one a higher price is charged, though this is not clear on th shelf ticket

now I went to check this and the writing explaining this is really tiny, it really only pushes the yellow tagged clubcard uttering price

Michael was not a happy bunny, and collected the on the spur of the moment goods and gave them back to the girl behind the counter and asked for my money back as I felt I had had my pants taken down with the prices

what a palaver followed, inc the manager attending due to the girl not being able to refund me from the till as i had paid by touch card

now in all the times I have been in there over the last few years, a yellow ticket on a item just meant a reduced price, it didnt mean you had to show a clubcard or the like to get the discount, I thought it was pretty sneaky in the way they had done it, I dont want a clubcard or any other storecard that lists and follows my shopping habits, theres far to much that steals your details and spys on you daily as there is

I got my money back, and will avoid the place in the future and just use the local spar shop down the road

was I right to get aggrieved and shouty or should I have just shut up and bit the bullet ?

Trent_Fisher

On the way back from seeing Old Taff this morn

I had call to pop into our local tesco one-stop shop, needed milk, a box of eggs, some new potatos and a couple other bits

wandered around as you do, because nothing you want is close to any other bits your after, and in doing so saw a few yellow ticket price reduced goods which though wasnt on the shopping list, I picked up and put in the basket, spur of the moment buys like

got to the checkout and offered payment and was surprised at the overall cost of the meager amount of shopping, was asked if I wanted a reciept, so said yes

got out the van and had a perusal at the invoice to see how the total matched what I had purchased, only to note that the yellow ticket priced items I had been charged a fair bit more for rather than the price listed on the shelf

went back in the shop and called out the server on the counter about the difference in what I had been charged and what the price I had seen on the shelves

turns out the discount only applies if you offer up a tesco clubcard at the till upon paying for the goods, if you dont have one a higher price is charged, though this is not clear on th shelf ticket

now I went to check this and the writing explaining this is really tiny, it really only pushes the yellow tagged clubcard uttering price

Michael was not a happy bunny, and collected the on the spur of the moment goods and gave them back to the girl behind the counter and asked for my money back as I felt I had had my pants taken down with the prices

what a palaver followed, inc the manager attending due to the girl not being able to refund me from the till as i had paid by touch card

now in all the times I have been in there over the last few years, a yellow ticket on a item just meant a reduced price, it didnt mean you had to show a clubcard or the like to get the discount, I thought it was pretty sneaky in the way they had done it, I dont want a clubcard or any other storecard that lists and follows my shopping habits, theres far to much that steals your details and spys on you daily as there is

I got my money back, and will avoid the place in the future and just use the local spar shop down the road

was I right to get aggrieved and shouty or should I have just shut up and bit the bullet ?
It pretty obviously says “clubcard price” on the ticket to be honest.

As for getting shouty with the staff, why? Do you think the person behind the till has any control whatsoever on how Tesco price the items in store? I’ve worked retail before and there is nothing worse than someone going nuts about something out of your control.

stump28

They had quite a lot of tv advertising for this not so long ago. Seems less overall offers in general but better offers if you’re a card holder, don’t shop there that often but always have a club card for anytime I do. Have to agree though I don’t see the point in getting shouty, especially as the staff aren’t responsible for making the policy. Just makes for an unpleasant days work for someone.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Its it like being a moderator and getting called out for doing your job 👀

I didnt know about the club card special offers though

62tucker

Site Supporter
Clubcard prices been around for a while now.
We getting delivery tonight. Clubcard prices saving us £13.50 from a £82 shop.
What’s not to like.
People moaning about inflation and get a chance to save money and still moaning.
Sometimes the shops can’t win.

DFL

Site Supporter
Got to love the club card, get one Mick, save on your shopping bills and then redeem points and have more money to spend, we use our at restaurants like Prezzos and Pizza Express.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got to love the club card, get one Mick, save on your shopping bills and then redeem points and have more money to spend, we use our at restaurants like Prezzos and Pizza Express.
Stocked up on drink the other week. All on Clubcard prices.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
TBH if you're paying by card they have enough info on your shopping habits already. Having a loyalty card merely gives them a bit more info and allows them to offer more 'targetted marketing'.

Some of the Tesco Clubcard discounts are actually quite large so IMHO it's well worth the data loss.

Also, my missus says you should always check your receipt at Tesco, because if they screw up they have to give you the item plus a refund (or something cool like that anyway)

jason39

I think its quite obvious that it says club card only prices. Its a loyalty thing. Its free to obtain a clubcard had one for years, with no hassle.. In the past we have had some really good days out with our kids using clubcard vouchers and still use them for RAC membership.

JayBee

Site Supporter
TBH if you're paying by card they have enough info on your shopping habits already. Having a loyalty card merely gives them a bit more info and allows them to offer more 'targetted marketing'.

Some of the Tesco Clubcard discounts are actually quite large so IMHO it's well worth the data loss.

Also, my missus says you should always check your receipt at Tesco, because if they screw up they have to give you the item plus a refund (or something cool like that anyway)
Yep, if you shop at Tesco without a clubcard you are missing out on both discounts to clubcard holders (on yellow label marked shelf pricing), and clubcard points, which if regularly accumulated are very worthwhile. Cash points in online for enhanced value and various choices (Google search Tesco clubcard deals).
If genuinely overcharged, ie. a double scanned item, take your receipt to customer services ASAP after the transaction, politely explain and expect to receive double the original price as a refund.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Wifey got me one of the mini club cards to go on my keys to make sure I don’t get caught out by this as we shop at Tesco all the time

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
We rarely shop at any of the top supermarkets. I think the cheaper priced goods in Lidl and Aldi are just as good as the likes of Tesco and Asda. I know the fruit and veg are well priced and the meat from Lidl and Aldi is of a much better quality than Tesco. I have not bought meat from Tesco since a joint of pork shoulder costing £9 had enough meat on it to feed one person. (Complaint made and compensated)

John Step

Site Supporter
We have a club card and get the discounts but I do think its a bit of a con. I feel the discount price is the correct price and the other one is hiked higher to make you think you are getting a bargain.

The other outfit that does the same is GoOutdoors.

62tucker

Site Supporter
We have a club card and get the discounts but I do think its a bit of a con. I feel the discount price is the correct price and the other one is hiked higher to make you think you are getting a bargain.

Or for the idol rich to pay full price so us pension can get a good deal

MatNewman

Mat
Site Supporter
D

Difference is GoOutdoors charge a fiver a year - Tesco is free PS if anyone ever goes and doesnt have a CC or forgets, you can literally ask anyone else to scan theirs :)