Snapped top kit while playing a fish/technique

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I had everything identical to you and had them upto 17lb in the margin,so I know you can give it some stick,maybe a faulty section 🤷‍♂️ I think @ukzero1 has/had the same pole.

I still have it, and landed mid-doubles with no problems. What I do is play the fish down to 4th section, then down to 3rd section to tire it out more, then go down to top 2. Now, whether that's right or not I wouldn't know, I'm not really a pole angler, but it works for me.

It could be a damaged section or technique.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I still have it, and landed mid-doubles with no problems. What I do is play the fish down to 4th section, then down to 3rd section to tire it out more, then go down to top 2. Now, whether that's right or not I wouldn't know, I'm not really a pole angler, but it works for me.

It could be a damaged section or technique.
someone posed a good question, can you help ?

"should the top 2 be telescoped" ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
someone posed a good question, can you help ?

"should the top 2 be telescoped" ?
Mine isn't, but then, like I stated earlier...I'm not really a pole angler. I have landed a few 'lumps' on it though.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
@JRW
I have landed many doubles on the pole and landed large weights of carp in matches (200-450)
When they first came out I got a TDZR 10m as the Top kits from my air and G50 fit.
I elasticated one of the 3 that came with it and went pleasure fishing with dog biscuits.
I was playing a fish but it tried to run into tree roots result was it snapped in 3 places.
I downgraded the TDZR to my river gear for pole feeder work and got a multi margin in the end as I had no faith in the pole/top kits.

op :-
Normally I like to point the top kit at the fish and let the elastic do its work, but some times you cannot an this puts a top kit under pressure.
Some time the weaker ones brake. Either at factory faults or area's of damage ( like a pole float hitting the top kit or hitting the top kit on a rod rest (I am guilty of both ))

Corn Master

Would imagine it's user error

I've seen anglers playing fish on a top two with the kit in an arc upright behind the top of their heads and then the obvious snap happens. Then hear on the other bank "not sure what happened there"
The top two on a margin pole is the strongest area so to be fair breaking down and playing a 12lbs carp which in all honesty isn't massive on a hybrid elastic wouldn't have made it go like that. I would just say at less than £20 a kit buy a couple

Next time just point the kit under the water when playing a good fish

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-085930_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-085930_Gallery.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 10

RMNDIL

I'm not sure if the OP was using a Puller or not but if doing so and stripping a lot of elastic out then there's not much left to give except your arm and the carbon. Imagine using a kit & tying 5lb line to a post, NO elastic, and then pull ! Even pulling a couple of feet of elastic out radically changes the behaviour of the elastic and makes it MUCH more 'fierce'.